Monday, September 1, 2008

Won't somebody get me off of this reef?


Troy caught my Somebody Please Shoot Me face.

I had Sublime's Badfish stuck in my head for 1:20:20 today. Yeah, 2.4 miles in 1:20. That's 28 minutes slower than I swam 2.4 three weeks ago. Lord knows I'm weak, won't somebody get me off of this reef? As the tegaderm peeled off along the way I stuffed it in my swim suit. For twenty minutes I swam directly over a sleeping turtle fifty feet below. I shit you not. It was a turtle. It was asleep. And I could not get past it. After looking at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel under my right arm from 9:42 to 10:02, I decided to swim there instead. Couldn't get away from the turtle in that direction either. I didn't sign up for a treadmill swim! A kayaker came and encouraged me to head back for the buoy line. I asked if he was with me because I was the last A-waver. He just laughed, which I took for a yes. I finally found the turn buoy and with 800 to go I started to throw up in my mouth. Which is always fun. It was rough today at the Roughwater and I got nauseous. I thought once the road rash was submerged and the initial burn passed it would be gone for good. No such luck. It would come on intermittently and take my breath away. I swam alone because I know when the current is strong in Waikiki I need to get inside. I should have followed the pack. Because bloody in a crowd in the middle of the ocean is better than bloody and alone.

I horrified people with my road rash. I told lies about falling into the tiger pit at the zoo. I went for kind of a rainbow-bright got dragged through the desert behind a horse look today - this is Katherine, Ann, Laurie and I before the fun began:

This picture of Ryan needs to be shared because it's goofy and people who swim that fast need to be ridiculed every once in a while.

The good news: everyone sucked today. I placed 2nd in my age group after that miserable experience. Katherine won her age group. I never, ever dreamed I would place at the Waikiki Roughwater, even on a good day. Here's the husband, way ahead out of the water as usual:

Everything about this weekend was too hard, too long, too tiring. I need a nap. And more tegaderm. I had an I am so over Ironman kind of day. Two margaritas and a cookie helped. I think I get a cookie for every 8th day of good eating. I think I deserve a cookie. I also think I can justify just about anything. It's my blog.

17 comments:

  1. Well done and you totally deserved the cookie! Especially for swimming with road rash in the ocean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am hoping that salt water is good for road rash (besides the painful stinging part of being in the ocean). I was actually thinking of you Hawaii girls swimming with turtles when I swam on Sunday morning and was overly excited to see 2 bread plate sized snapping turtles sun themselves. And then I thought about your huge fancy turtles... I do like swimming in rough water, but not the part about being stuck in teh current and gaining no ground. Congrats on your placing and hope you really enjoyed those margaritas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be awesome to swim over a turtle. All I ever swim over in Lake Michigan is car parts and other assorted trash.

    !:20 of rough open water swimming definitely earned you a few margaritas. I'd kill for a frozen margarita.

    ReplyDelete
  4. any swim over 1 hour deserves a cookie. for sure... did you also get the memo from my desk- any run over 90 deserves a big bowl of sugar cereal. k?

    awesome job. i love reading things other people do and accomplish when my mind is saying, "damn,i would have quit..." so many excuses and outs and you didn't take 'em. you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, that beach looks sooooo inviting as well as the water. Did the salt water help dry up your oosy stuff today?
    You look skinny as a rail and since you puked up what ever you had consumed that morning durning the swim, a cookie you deserve and more than one I might add.
    Here's to Margaritas and cookies! Whooo hoooo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last time I swam in the ocean in Hawaii I puked for my WHOLE SWIM...just thinking about it makes me - Ewwww. OK. Neext topic.

    Anyway...mararitas make it all better :) You earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really deserved the margaritas and anything else sinful you ever hoped for! I think it was very brave trying to get in the water with road rash - are you trying to hide it in the picture above? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just a couple more weeks, then you can be SOOOO over ironman! You're doing great, and placing 2nd under such tough conditions is amazing. No, you're just plain amazing. I am in awe. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the placing, a fine performance, dozy turtles notwithstanding.

    Otherwise, oh ouch.
    On the bright side, you now have the cleanest possible road-rash ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice job Rachel! Definitely, you deserve a cookie for that effort! Maybe they should re-name that event to The Waikiki'n Your Ass Roughwater Swim!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wooohooo! I beat your swim time at IMC but 1 minute. I am a rockstar! LOL.
    Now you may only have a cookie every 8th day and I will have my piece of cake. Deal? So here's to the next 8 days being horrible :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We used to call swims with currents like that our Gerbil Swims. Frustrating!! Glad you made it. And you got a full 1:20 in of swim training, which is even better than just an hour. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Way to go on such a tough swim, and ouch!! Also, you should be able to have a cookie if and whenever you want. I know I do!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so funny! You are such a stud for doing all that you did this weekend! Great job on toughing out that swim!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great result. Congratulations:)

    I think you'll deserve a few after the race next month. And so will I since I'll be working my tail off.

    Let's get together for one or two... or maybe three.... how about four;-)

    L

    ReplyDelete
  16. Enjoyed reading your post. I also was in the A wave swimming inside all by myself. When I finished I wished I'd stayed with the pack. It is too exhausting looking for all those flags! Great job on your swim. I was second to your friend Katherine. Tell her I'll be back next year to give her a run at the Big Bowl.

    ReplyDelete