Sunday, September 21, 2008

In the bank.

Legs. Whatever. The miles are in. I went well over 50 miles running this week, because sometimes I get lost on long runs and they run a little too long. The 21 miler was pukey for some reason, but I was able to keep moving. The long brick was rainy and the roads were flooded and scary. But zones were hit, paces were there, and my brain was happy just to be feeling healthy and getting the hours in. When I finish a 15 hour week I look back and wonder how the age groupers I read about are fitting in 20 and 25. The body might take it, but there really aren't enough hours in the day. Fifteen is a perfect big week for my life.

I broke the law this morning and ran the Niketown 5k. As in the coach is going to kick my ass when I log it. Here are my excuses in case he's reading: It was a fundraiser for my kids' school, and I figured with 10,000 racers and great prizes, I could just tempo run it and head home under the radar. And 5ks are really really short. As I headed for Waikiki at dawn, I realized that I've been up before 5 every day for two weeks. I love the early morning. For the first time in my life, I didn't go out sub-6. Huge milestone, as I usually run the first mile of a 5k in 5:30 and then have a panic attack. The first mile was a comfortable 6:20 in zone 3, and I was out in front a little ways. I picked it up a tiny bit and went 6:10 for the second mile, still zone 3, still enjoying myself, now running back into the hoards of walking humans on Kalakaua. Last mile I realized that this time might be visible in the results. As in, the winning time should really not be over 19 minutes or everyone reading will realize that said winner only won because of poor attendance. So I picked it up into zone 4 and ran a 6 flat across the line. My time was what I expected the day after a bonky 21 miler - 19 min. Nowhere near a PR - hell, I was faster at the tri last weekend, but hey, it was fun. And I get to buy lots of nike crap next week - $300 worth of free run shorts!

There is bigger news here than my dumb training. Huge news - it opened:

Hawaii officially has a good grocery store. In Berkeley I could look out my kitchen window and see the red Trader Joe's sign. Since moving home to Hawaii, there have been carry-on bags stuffed with TJ's and Whole Foods grub with every mainland trip. This is going to make staying off the sauce (choc) easier. Curry from the hot food bar is a good recovery breakfast, right?

22 comments:

  1. A 19 is nothing to sneeze at woman! Especially when a few months ago there were no mile weeks! You are ready to rock this race and I will be screaming for you the whole day!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want a Whole Foods SOOOOOOO bad! Way to "sneak in" the 5k, we gotta do what we gotta do right?! I had my long run yesterday too, after a hard ride, then I woke up to race too, it hurts, BUT we love it!

    Hey, don't feel bad about your 15 hr training week, I AM ONLY A 15 hr girl too! ha ha (and I am supposed to be "pro"), hilarious! My best local friend (Jen) mom of 2 and busy as heck had a 19 hr week this week, I am always picking her brain on how she deals with her life load and training load and mother load, she is incredible! If I rack up any good advice I will pass it along...

    Nice 5k stud... almost show time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a stellar training weekend and will have plenty of $$$ in that bank for Kona!

    Our Whole Foods just opened two weeks ago, and we MIGHT get a Trader Joe's next year. Richmond is coming up, baby!

    Yey! I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going to Whole Foods in Honolulu right now qualifies as endurance training....the lines...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great 5K Rachel!! Especially given the 21 miler the day before. Geez - I would say you certainly are ready to roll for your big race in Oct! :)

    Great news about the Whole Foods! We have one too but it's $$$$$ (as I'm sure they all are...) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whole Foods! My favorite lunch time stop. Always lots of $$$ but yummy and fun.

    19 min 5k is great after all the stuff you did the day before. Be happy with it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No matter where you live a Whole Foods opening up nearby is a big deal. Wegman's is the latest grocery store I really want nearby (I have a weird obsession with grocery stores).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woohoo! Whole Foods... LOVE that store! I haven't ventured out there yet b/c it's SO FAR AWAY but I think this week I will. :) Can't wait til they open one up in Kailua!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you on the crazy age groupers doing 20-25 hour training weeks - I can't imagine fitting that in along with working full-time! Maybe those ones aren't actually working after all?

    Congrats on the 5km win - that is pretty darn fast for tired legs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. .... nice TV news coverage on your finish too !

    Congrats !

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE WHOLE FOODS! Glad you guys are finally getting one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. 19Mins on tired legs..I would clam that anyday and the $300.00 means happy shopping:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice job speed sista.

    I love Whole Foods but I can't do all my shopping there at $70 a bag.


    Hey, what saddle did you end up getting for your trusty steed?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I forgot this!

    Look!!! Your featured on the SALE section.. gotta love Title Nine on sale. Yaaaaah baby.

    http://www.titlenine.com/jump.jsp?itemType=CATEGORY&itemID=798

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hooray! Great job on the 5k - you gotta do what you gotta do. And Curry totally counts as a good recovery breakfast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. There was a Whole Foods across the street from my Hotel in Hillsboro this weekend. I was there at least 7 times in 4 days!!

    Congrats on the 5K and the 50+ mile week. NICE Work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So funny- we ate at Whole Paychecks after our race on Sat. too! Be warned- we live only a block from one and now our grocery bill is out of control! It doesn't help that ours in next door to Peets!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whole paycheck is a great store. I love it but spend more of my time at Trader Joes.

    You had a solid training week!! I agree I have no idea how people find time to log so many training hours, work and have a family (and pay attention to them!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So I take it there's no TJ's?

    Being a Berkeley girl myself for 8 years, I still have a hard time w/Whole Paycheck (even though there's the one on Ashby, I know...) when there are places that exist like Berkeley Bowl and Monterey Market. Except they only exist in Berkeley, and I no longer live there!!

    I suppose if that was my only choice, I'd probably be excited about it, too. :)

    And nice job on the 5K!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Whole foods is my FAVORITE!!! Although, their bulk candy section has some delish choc-PB malt balls... :) And I tend to go overboard at their salad bar...who buys $17 salads? If it last 3 meals, I do!! :)

    Congrats for a killer week of training, and a great result at the 5K!!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey RR-
    The shuffle is from swimman.com. If you're just going to run with it you don't need the headphones. The regular ones work for running. Hope you find one! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  22. the difference with your 15 hour week compared to the age groupers is you manage to get the same (or more) miles in...just less time!

    nice work!

    ReplyDelete