Sunday, September 28, 2008

A thousand words.

Apparently there were school pictures some time in the last month. They showed up Friday. Times have changed in the month or so I've been working full time. In years past, my boys wore blue aloha shirts and my girl wore a cheongsam. Here's what we got this year:

Shaggy hair, t-shirts, and god only knows if their teeth were brushed. Henry's wearing one of my old Berkeley hippie beads, a look that neither of us need photographic evidence of. Wyatt's photo appears to be straight out of 1978. And where's Sky? Apparently Mom of the Year only sent two checks to school. So there is no picture of Sky in her favorite Hannah Montana t-shirt, the one with a built-in rhinestone necklace that I always mistake for rhinestone handcuffs. Too bad, because now that it's too small, its extra-classy.

In addition to the important business of taking pictures of my scarred body parts and trying to decide what they look like, I fit the last long brick in this weekend. And it wasn't that long. There was a little bit of Holy Crap, I'm supposed to run 2 more hours at that pace in 2 weeks? But it wouldn't be a proper taper without a little I didn't train enough!! freak out, would it? It is time to start recovering, relaxing, and thinking about the race in 12 days. Part of me thinks phew! I just barely got healthy in time. And the other part of me knows that this will be the shortest build I have ever gone into an Ironman with.

Seven weeks ago I was still too injured to call it training. It was rehabbing. I ran 4 miles that week. Then for six weeks, I played catch up. Now for two weeks I will sit on my butt hoping that the body remembers something from Kona last year and Arizona this spring. Either that, or here's hoping that Triathlete Mag is much more powerful than we all thought. Like Nostradamus-powerful. Because they say I consistently run under 3:20, and I've only done that once. I need at least two sub-3:20s to call it consistent, right? All I can do is done. now all that's left is readying the mind.

That synchronized waving problem again, popping up on this year's longest run out in the Energy Lab.

22 comments:

  1. I LOVE the school photos! Those are KEEP-SAKES! Just take Sky to Walmart, their lab does just as good and way less than school!

    Less training = less over training, does that make sense? Not sure what I am trying to say, VERY tired, I mean THIS WILL BE YOUR BEST year yet! Oh, and believe me, you are no bimbo 10 minutes behind, you are the stud that SHOULD have your pro card, I think that's "professional amateur" or something like that...

    SO excited for you and Katherine to get here! Katya is coming soon, then the fun begins! I wish you could run around in the tighty whitey run with us, but I don't want to spoil your taper... we will miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are almost there! It is great to see how far you came during your injury!!! I'm sure you know that it is better to go in undertrained than overtrained...but I'm sure you will do great since you do have the KONA scar on your leg :)
    -marn

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're my favourite to watch for Kona...can't wait to see how you do!!
    p.s...the pics are great, I like them that way instead of hair and clothes all perfect..they look natural..:-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH Geeze.. so you forgot about school picture day... and you certainly can't count on the little ankle biters to let you know the day of. Oh well, those photos all look the same anyway, plus the candid ones you take are so much better. It's not like it's the senior year book, right? The boys look cute.
    We all forgive you.Case closed.
    You and Katherine are like 2 peas in a pod. You even look the same height!!!
    Happy tapering! Wondering what you'll wear for race day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, you two definitely are the Doublemint Twins! :) Seriously - like Bree said. WAY too many people come in over trained. The important thing is that you've hit your workout times and done well in the quality workouts! You'll be more than ready - plus you've got your head screwed on right... and that counts for A LOT! Love the hippie beads - classic RR! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Training is overrated. Visualization and trash talking is where it's at. Be your own best fan. Tape that article to your shirt and stand in line at Lava Java like "I'm that girl."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't care what shirts those two are wearing, they are so dang cute. Heck, they could wear faded Guns 'n Roses tees from 1992 and their school photos would turn out awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is all about the FACE and your boys are so hansome...I mean look at those perfect smile and eyes..they both are going to be heart breakers:)
    I did the same thing with my son I forgot about picture day and he wore a t but BACKWARDS and you see the TAG...now that is a MOM that needs to get her head out of her ass and pay attention:)
    RR you are so ready to rock Kona...get fired up girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Number 1 - Can I have your abs (do you loan them out at all?)
    Number 2 - be glad you are not at work this week.. I can tell it is going to be a bust..I'll get NOTHING done.. so no worries there. Number 3- Love the kid pictures! So cute! They look like you (or at least I think so!) Number 4 - training is overrated. You have all this experience under your belt. You'll be fine. Everyone doubts (even anal me who does every last blooming thing on her schedule like 90% of the time!). Don't worry.. you'll be fine! Plus! We're having a party! Yippeee!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1 sub 3:20 is a trend. Or the start of one. The boys look cute. Those are the perfect pictures to embarrass them in front of their future girlfriends with.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear God, Kona is gonna be a giant party this year! So jealous I am not going to be there to see it all.

    Ditto everyone else...you are gonna rock this thing. Don't even sweat it. 12 days is so close!!!!! :)

    Enjoy your tapir!

    Your Tapir!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had a crush on a boy who looked just like Wyatt when I was 7. He even had that t-shirt.

    I'm agreeing with Liz on this one. Nothing like a little trash talk to get you going! (I would start the trash talking, but since I'm too slow to have even qualified for Kona, I should probably leave that to someone who's actually fast.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. once totally counts as consistent

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had a dream last night that I delievered a baby girl while I was sleeping... and the good twist? YOU were the father. ???? Can't explain other than its just confirmation that pregnant women have truly crazy dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So excited for you Rach! Cute pics of the boys! Will write you later.....

    XO,
    E

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will be in Austin for school pictures. My husband is bald and does not think he he has to brush anyone's hair. So you can only imagine what Luc's will look like.

    I cna't wait till next week at this time.... I will have my feet up and I will be cheering you!

    I will wear my Texas suit to class just for you. They will think I am captain america!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Star Wars Rules!!! nice pics!

    Kona is getting ready ....something happening next weekend I think....????

    ReplyDelete
  18. btw, if you want cal tri sweatpants i will totally get some for you

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your boys are super cute. They are going to break lots of hearts.

    While not even close to the same injury, your coming back from your injury gives me hope I can come back from my c-section.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rachel,
    My first comment!
    I did the EXACT same thing for my kids photos, and I didn't even know that he went on a field trip last week, since I started working too, it is crazy.
    You are going to do GREAT at Ironman, wish I could come watch, but o, that work thing again!!
    Simley

    ReplyDelete
  21. consistency conSHMISTANCY! You'll totally rock the face off of this race and I can't wait to sit behind my laptop and watch you do it ;)

    Happy Taper!

    And those pics are so cute - the boys' pics totally look better than mine back in the 80's when I was sporting the SUPER POOF BANGS! HOT-NESS!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You're ready! I'm beyond excited to track you online in just a matter of days - will be rooting from California!

    ReplyDelete