Saturday, September 6, 2008

Kona Sweet Kona.

Forty hours after leaving Oahu, I am home. And I am so much better for the training trip. I love Kona. I love to run. I am back, it is on, and I am going to be ready.

On Friday we rode past Hawi to the cutest little town I have ever seen. Cuter than Hawi even. The weather was gorgeous, and the 25-mile stretch from Waikoloa back to town was still hell, just like it is every time. You know it's bad when I stop talking. Katherine and I didn't draft at all, and did the Kawaihae-Hawi stretch 50-100 yards apart so that we would both get the full workout. The only talking in the last 20 mi was when I may have muttered something about a vag-otomy as she went by near Hualalai. I'm crass when I'm tired.

The two mushroom-heads - it's 8 am and we've already been up for 5 hours.. let's go ride for 6!

The first stop of the day, where we learned that Vittora Pit Stop sucks and that houses being moved take up the whole shoulder.. Katherine can jump into the bushes quickly when necessary.

Katherine did a quick brick run off the bike. I did a quick Jamba run. Protein Berry Workouts with blueberries instead of strawberries and extra protein fit well in my bottle holders. My slippers didn't work that great with my keo pedals though.. especially up Palani.


We had dinner at Lava Java - who new they made real food? The veg pizza and the sunset were incredible. The Wees rolled by on their way to ice cream for Kainoa.

First thing up in the morning was the run. The run was hard. The run was incredibly beautiful. The run was 20 miles exactly, finishing at the line.. and the run was a gift. I had doubts about my injury because it had whined all week. We left the Seaside and headed to the energy lab, where Wee came out to cheer us on, offer cold drinks and take photos that are probably not too pretty. About 15 miles in, out at Honokohau Harbor, I declared my love for running. We raced up the Queen K to the top of Palani. And even with a slow start we held an average pace of 7:20 per mile. That was the run I needed to change my mind, to remind me why I am racing Kona. That was the pace I needed to be able to hold onto again, comfortably quick, pain-free, smiling.


We hit Jamba immediately after finishing with a sweaty $10 bill. The grumpy Jamba girl said $10.31. Hmm. I looked in her tip jar. She did not find that amusing. So I turned around and asked the man behind me if I could bum 31 cents. He kindly loaned us the money, then told us he had seen us on the highway. And that he is the volunteer coordinator for Ironman. This is Joe, the man who saved our recovery and the man who organizes all those awesome volunteers for us on race day. The man brave enough to touch us after that run when I wouldn't have touched Katherine with a ten foot pole. Joe rocks.


I suppose I should have included on the food run-down post that I was showing my rest day eating. I am not a big eater by nature. In Kona this weekend there were thousands of calories consumed.. and even a little chocolate. I do track online to make sure the protein and cals are high enough, I promise! And now I have the Weezles.. Bree's home-made all natural energy balls that are so good! She sells them in stores in Kona and brought K & I a bunch of different flavors at lunch after the run. We scarfed them down all afternoon.

Kona was a blast.. we ran into Peaman, and visited Linda at Bike Works, which is such an incredible store.. they even sell Splish! We chatted with superstar Lieto and Aaron on Alii as they headed for an evening swim (feeding time.. ). Every where you turn in Kona there are friendly faces.

You know those morons that make your plane late because they won't just get on and sit down? All giddy and goofy on the tarmac because they had a great trip? Yeah, that's me.

I realize that my bag is bigger than my shorts. At least I'm not wearing compression socks..

28 comments:

  1. Looks like a great weekend! Let me know if you want to run over any of your nutrition plan with me for Kona. I'm all about the recovery jamba juice :)
    -marn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just what the doctor ordered - a great training trip to Kona and now you are refreshed, recharged and ready to go!! Great to hear it went so well. Watch out for the next time you are there!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great pictures. great training....cute matching bike jerseys!!! i want one! awesome post. makes me want to train to qualify for kona one day (far away...)

    your weekend is now my motivation for the 17 mile run i am about to do and finish at 7 minute pace....i WILL love running alone for 2+. i WILL NOT get injured..

    i can't believe how close your "big day" is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm glad you felt the magic - i love it!
    you on your way to kick some a$$...i'm very busy working on some cheers that i'm going use on race day...you better be ready!

    ReplyDelete
  5. rr,
    I'm in tears, knowing that this weekend and you feeling great were HUGE! Yey!!!!!!!!!! Here's to great runs, post-workout smoothies, and new friends named Joe. You're ready to rock that course, and I so wish I could be there to cheer you on.
    YEY!!!!! (it bears repeating!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. GREAT post... I can feel you smiling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, I saw not one but TWO Oahu Gazelles running past the Harbor....I couldn't have been more proud to know each of you (well not K, but thru your blog) and knowing the purpose of your undertakings........and I HAD to yell from my bike and cheer you on....Well, well done.......RR, you are exactly where you are supposed to be in this moment; remember....fit is a given in October; but who is FRESH! I think RR is:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun! I must admit I am sooooo jealous that you can hop on a plan and train in Kona. I'm even more jealous of the people who walk out there doors to train there. However forecast in Seattle Sunny and 70 :-)
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  9. opps that would be plane and their...
    Boy do I need more java ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yea Rach! I am so glad that you had an awesome training wknd!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad to hear everything went so great... and look at those smiles! Oh, and those little itty bitty bike shorts. God, I am gonna be the fat kid at Kona haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rach, I got a couple of calls from Wee while you guys were out riding and running! She was laughing her bootie off at your guys ;-) I so wish I was there. Are we still on for Maui, you, me, wee and whoever else?

    E

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rach!
    It made my whole day seeing you girls! You both looked so fit and have to agree with Jen... you may have missed A LOT of training but you are entering Kona FIT and FRESH, not run down! I think that you and Katherine are totally taking the 1-2 overall amateur's this year! That little record is GOING DOWN!

    PLEASE let me know if you or Katherine need ANYTHING when you get here, rides, weezle balls, a fan club! I am so glad you are back in action...

    Okay, keep that confidence going and see ya at the start line (I will be the one fully dressed cheering).

    Oh, and I did call E a lot when I saw you guys, I had to tell her how gross your leg was and that you are totally under-exaggerating that thing! It makes me want to vomit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post! Sounds like that trip was just what you needed. Um, you think that guy was being brave putting his arms around you two? I'm sure that's not at all what he was thinking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. WooHoo! Glad you had such a great weekend in Kona.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That pretty much sums up life in the triathlon world in Kona. That's what I miss the most. I, too, liked Kapa'au past Hawi. I miss seeing the Peaman, too. Only in Kona.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Howdy Ms. Ross, to be honest, I was determined not to like you...I met you at Nationals last year and I thought you to be bit too bubbly for my taste and I thought you were riding a bit too close at times on the bike course but...have to admit, you've totally won me over with your blog. Love your writing style and your outlook, it really is entertaining. You probably get more visits and more fans than websites belonging to pro's. So, maybe I was a bit too harsh in my judgment of you and too critical of how close you rode. Keep entertaining us woman. I'm a fan and hey, you did live in Berkeley so you can't be that bad.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So nice to hear your weekend went well. 20 miles at 7:20 pace for training is pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad to hear you had a great trip! You are sooo ready! I will have to ask Bree for some of those weezle balls :) Glad you had FUN!! Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't believe I missed you guys. I went looking and was in contact with head cheerleader but never did find you guys!
    Glad you had good safe training days and no flesh was left on our Queen K Hwy!
    Poor Joe. He is such a great guy!

    I'm heading to Oahu next week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Rach.... you da bomb.
    And about Joe, he's lookin' very proud to be sandwiched by you two hot chickas.
    Glad to hear you got your MOJO back.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So glad you had a great weekend of training!! That is good stuff.. You are BACK BABY. That is exciting and I know it will benefit you in Kona. Thirty two days and counting!! So, the Vittoria pit stop didn't work? I was planning on bringing that with me on the big day.. hummm...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Rach sounds like it was awesome! How exciting! You are completely adorable and look so happy. Bring on Kona!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What an amazing 40 hours-Way to make it Count!! I knew it wouldn't take long to get back in READY mode!

    I'm getting so excited for the big trip. Keep these KONA photos/stories coming!

    ReplyDelete
  25. nice bike shoes...if you need the ones you gave me back you can have them;-) I walked out the door for my long run on Saturday in my slippers. Was testing out a new belt water bottle holder thing (I looked like a dork) and just started running with my slippers on. Took me a block to figure out that not only was the water bottle holder not going to work, neither were the slippers!

    ReplyDelete