Sunday, September 14, 2008

After a five month hiatus.. I raced one.

Sky to Kainoa: Your mom kicks my mom's ass. Here, have her lei.

Pre-race: all ready to roll, fancy transition bag and all:


Kisses good-bye from the little girl before hopping on my bike to ride to transition. Skirt, sneakers, shopping bag, aero helmet.. check.

We are SO not dorky in our twin splishes..
The boys keep busy during the race.

The joy of post-race brunch. Or Henry eats an entire pig:

Short version: I kind of sucked on the swim, I really sucked on the bike, and I ran pretty well, all things considered.

A more detailed report: My splish twin shot off the front at the start and Marion tried to get on her feet. Jana, Marion and I were the chase pack, and I'm hoping since there are no trans times my 8:54 included the run to the park. I was third out of T1 and could see Marion for most of the first lap. But she was shrinking. And my legs were achy and heavy.. maybe from Friday's long ride, or maybe just because going from zero to IM in six weeks hasn't been easy on the legs. Either way, I rode 32 min, nearly a minute slower than last year, and going up and over diamond head over and over wasn't all that fun for me. My powertap is still broken - in Kona it said I averaged 614 watts for 112 miles. Watch out, Lieto! Today it said I averaged 312 watts, after being recalibrated. Not bloody likely. I was told I was two minutes down on Bree, and 30s down on Marion into T2. Onto the run.. I had the turnover, but still felt like there was no power to my stride. I was hoping to run Marion down, but no dice. The one good thing to take away from this race is the 18:50 5k off the bike, 6:05 pace. Last year was 20 seconds faster.. but that was after a full year of running. The run is coming back, at least.

As I headed for the chute I saw the clock.. 59:50, 59:51.. oh crap! I just made it in 59:59, 3rd place.

Lessons learned:
You lose swim speed fast when you just quit swimming completely. I'm not saying it wasn't worth it..
Sprints hurt like hell when you're out of shape.
IT bands do heal! I didn't feel it at all out there.
Wyatt can fake a broken foot really well (3 hours of ER later..)
My road rash still makes people gag.
Sunday brunch was more fun when I ate sugar.
Henry throws a mean spiral.. he, Patrick and Jim Wee had a good game going post-awards.

30 comments:

  1. That's a lot of bacon! Nice race--6:05 pace...damn, just damn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmm.... bacon.
    You did great lady! Way to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. well done RR! Well done! Kona.... here she COMES!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great run off the bike! I'm sure your bike and run weren't as "slow" as you think. Sprints hurt when you are in shape too.

    I was wondering if you were going to bust out the matching rainbow brite suits. Nice move! Life is no fun if you can't be a little dorky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.....great day out there...and I still think (old school) that triathlon racing comes down to that run!! Ms. Gazelle...whishhhhhhhhhhhh......you CAN run. Just think, Kona is a steady run all afternoon and ya know what....you can do that and do it well!! I am very proud of you and LOVE your blog and your creative writing ability. Great day today Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to run! On a good day my fastest mile (just ONE, not 3) is 7:34. Love the pic of you and Bree in matching suits--too cute. Don't you love the skirt sports skorts?! I'll email you my little secret to avoiding porta potties while wearing one....
    While you were parked in the ER did anyone look at that road rash?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work RR-What an awesome run!

    I must say that I love the Transition bag...I use the same one for my lunch ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY Rach, you're back!! Sweet stuff, great run! I think Wee looks dorky in that pic, you can tell her, HAHAAHA! She'll get me back for sure.....

    E

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job on your first race back! Sprints hurt that bad all the time for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rockin!! What a fun day-- nice job sista!! You busted out some speed and you're surely not rested. Will be fun to see what a nice taper will do for you. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice kona tune up. I had fun sleeping in. we were going to get up and spectate, but I figured that would just make me mad. Damn cats :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations Rachel!!! You did so awesome! So glad you didn't feel any pain on the run too.
    I love the pictures..so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was so happy to see you there, thanks for making room for me on the "fast rack". And you have the coolest kids I ever met...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah RR! You are well on your way. See you in Kona next weekend? :). Keep it up!
    Linsey

    ReplyDelete
  15. nice matching suits - you guys look like a couple of serious, hard core tri dorks ;). i do love your transition bag - it looks a lot like my gym bag, my work bag, my pool bag etc.
    welcome back to racing!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice work on your return to the racing scene! I hope that doesn't sound patronizing coming from someone whose bib number usually has 4 (or 5, eek!) digits.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hey....nice job!! 3rd overall and you're just back in the game...not to mention that what you train for is a far cry from an hour race...


    HA! my lululemon bag doubles as a lunch/gym bag..i think there is kombucha and a bra in it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lelia says "Henry is really silly and I want to go to Hawaii." Glad that you got to race and extra glad that your ITB passed the test.
    -Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on the race. Sounds like a fun day. Your kids are gorgeous. Love the lululemon bag!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats! Way to get back in there.

    I need to work on streamlining the transitions, looks like you have it down to a science!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome job Rachel!! Super fast running off the bike...after all those months of not running. I'm convinced not running eventually makes you a faster runner... :) Anyway, sounds like a great time. And I think sprints hurt all the time, in shape or not!

    ReplyDelete
  22. nice job! yeah, i would say your running is pretty good

    ReplyDelete
  23. Seems like things are coming together for you right at the perfect time! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats Rachel! I wish I could bounce back from a running injury with that kind of 5K time! I'll be rooting for ya like mad when Kona rolls around!!!

    P.S. I love the color of your bike! Clementines are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hooray for no ITB issues, lots of bacon, great matching suites, and fun times for all! Way to go RR! First race in 5 months - yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You go, RR! Nice job - I bet it was JUST awesome to be towing the line, eh? Just to race is thrilling! SORRY you will not be at Nats (boo!), keep the training up for Kona! :) Jen H.
    PS CUUUTTE Pics!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Eyes on the prize RR, Eyes on the prize. What is the prize you ask, well, that is for you to decide. Splish suits, now I am in love! You two looked like peas in a pod as my mom would say! Great racing and I don't think you sucked since you were THIRD, plus, you fished strong on the run! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Those were your kids? LOL!
    I had fun that morning! Great to hang out with you guys!!

    BTW, you rocked out there. You look professional!

    ReplyDelete
  29. A good race, all things considered. Hope the preparation for Kona goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your kids rock!!! ;-) Love the Rainbow suits.
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete