Saturday, August 30, 2008

One sandwich shy of a picnic..

I woke up Saturday with an egg on my head, a bit of whiplash, and some gooey patches. And totally mad at myself for being so dumb. For losing another weekend with so few left until Kona. And then I stopped my pansy-ass whining and put on my running shoes. There was a 2h run on the schedule, with hills and high HR zones, why not give it a go?

The bad thing about running 16 miles with road rash is that you're pretty much a moving biohazard. I should have been carrying one of those red bins from the hospital. All that secondskin stuff slowly peels off when you get sweaty. I lost the leg bandages at Sandys, the arm tape at Maunalua Bay, and all the hip stuff was left at Holy Tragedy. Every cyclist that went by on our tiny island yelled Hey I heard you crashed! or Are you nuts? and my favorite What the hell are you doing? Sweat and road rash aren't the best combo. But you know what? It was my best run of the Kona build yet. I raced up the hills, I nailed the heart rates, and I ran the last 30 min all-out.

I have been informed that I should be racing Dick Evans now. What are the odds of it happening twice in one weekend? the team says. More than I'm willing to risk. But I still owe that long workout. To whom, I don't know.. to Kona maybe? So Mariane and I are going to get out early tomorrow morning and get it done. 112 miles, 40 minute run. I'm going to use the waterproof tape this time.

And Raul says I sure as hell had better swim the Roughwater Monday morning, road rash and all. I'm not sure if I should dive into the salt water at the start, or ease into the pain with a warmup so that I can cry silently before the gun goes off... maybe I can bribe myself in with the promise of sugar at the other end. I didn't break down post-crash - nearly a week now of all natural eating and going strong!

Two of the beach parks I left my DNA in while unraveling on today's run..

15 comments:

  1. You are one tough beeatch. Man... Kona had better watch the hell out with you coming. "It" has no idea what you've gone through to get there and what will happen when you unleash it all on 'er. Go get 'em, Tiger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An Ironman is so much easier after all of this!!! Are there really this many open water swim races in Hawaii?????? What Island to I need to live on? GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great run! Good luck with your OWS race and super long bike run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHOA! Nice job, crash. Even more impressive is that you are sugar-free or junk-free for a week now. Hmm...trying to figure out if we should have a group like AA for this - I could use it as well. Anyhoo, have fun getting into that salt water and heal quickly! Jen H.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch!
    Glad that you are back on your feet.
    Tegaderm is amazing stuff. Keeps the road rash moist so the scabs don't crack while you are training - and it actually stays on while swimming.

    Good luck!

    Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about the crash! It's good to hear that you are still able to train. After you make it through the Roughwater Swim, you should treat yourself to something sweet. You deserve it! Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy crap-are you going for tough cookie of the year?! You are AMAZING. After a crash like that I would probably be up to my ears in pie crust...and that is one more reason (out of 3 million) why YOU are going to Kona and not me;)

    Glad you are doing okay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did I miss 3 entries on your blog?? Oy ve is right.. good lord, thank god you didn't break anything. NICE rash pix though! GNARLY!!!!!
    You are a toughie for getting out on the run leaving oosing bandages in your wake.
    I hope you got through your long ride and brick ok.
    The swim sounds really fun and the salt water will be good for your rash.
    Showering must feel REALLY good... sting sting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No worries. I had an awesome race one year one week after biting it hard in a group ride (totally my fault too). Road rash and nasty little runoff lakes don't go together, so I just coated myself in Nuskin crap, then rode and ran like the wind and won the race even though I wasn't the favorite. The road rash may have hurt later, but I don't remember that now. I just remember the win.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jinkies.... I know how I missed a few postings..
    new MacBook I'm still learning to use.... everything is upside down and backwards.....to me anyway..

    So glad to see you are o.k. and smiling (in your photos).

    Can't wait to watch you smash again competition in October:)

    Now, train safe!
    L

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so tough and funny ;-)
    Why are you sugar free again???? That just seems silly. ;-)
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  12. RR: I dont know you but another vote for Tegoderm for president. (We have the RNC here so sorry, I am inundated with presidential vibes)
    And if you have any hematoma's try a moxa ( spelling?) treatment just above the surface of the skin, it helps with the healing.
    Hope you heal up quickly.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Road rash and all and you still get up and look like a super model:) You are on a mission...no ROAD RASH is going to slow you down:) Have fun on your ride and let us know how that salt water feels.........

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice...you and Bree leaving chunks and skin on our roads!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. rr,
    I ate the peanut M&Ms for you. Gotta keep you eating healthy! You are one tough mama! I hope your ows went well and that the salt water helped heal those wounds.
    crazy.
    ko

    ReplyDelete