Wednesday, September 3, 2008

About that sugar thang..

I've gotten a few questions as to the no-sugar thing.

Yes, I know I'm not obese or anything. No, I don't think sugar is the root of all evil.

Here's the thing: I can't do sugar in moderation. Giving me just a little bit of chocolate is like giving Robert Downey Jr. just a little bit of cocaine.

I'm only in my second week now, but there are changes. My nails are longer than they've been in months. I can kind of see where my abs might be hiding. My skin (where I have it) is clear. I ran a two hours without needing an immodium. I don't necessarily think the lack of sugar is to blame for it all - I think it's the unprocessed stuff I've been replacing the sugar with that's doing the trick.

I have found that the only thing that really works for me is to be a total food bore. Same things, every day. You give me choices and I'm going to choose crap, every single time. So this is the routine:

Soy latte and an apple - breakfast of out-of-shape-ions. Look close and you can see my sunrise ocean view from my 15th floor office.

Spinach salad with chickpeas and various other veggies from the Carrot Patch for lunch.. $3.65 for all that today!

16 oz Jamba all-fruit when the four pm sweet-tooth rolls around, which works out nicely because that's when I leave work and head off to swim/bike or run. Did you know that Jamba Juice has a secret menu? I haven't tried to place a covert order yet.. but I hear something about a "white gummie bear" smoothie I might have to inquire about.

Parisian salad with some extras from Costco for dinner.

I know I should eat more for breakfast.. but I am just not a morning eater. Starbucks just added oatmeal with nuts and dried fruit to their morning selection. I'll pretty much do whatever the mermaid tells me to, so I may be adding in some oats soon.

The bike is packed, all fancy as usual (someday I'll shell out for real packing tape and not find the bike box in a dumpster..) and I am off to Kona to adjust my attitude. And hide from Pat and Wee all day so they can't take pictures of me and the stuff that kind of looks like tree sap covering all my road rash out there on the Queen K!

PS - Big Weenie there cut those bangs herself. I did not do that to her. Just FYI.

27 comments:

  1. YOU can run but YOU can't hide! ha ha... I just made you and Katherine 2 batches of Weezle balls... they will fit wonderfully into the non-processed/no sugar thang you got going on :)

    I will find you... don't you worry about that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun. Maybe I'll see ya over there on Saturday. And tree sap? my ooze is a lot more disgusting looking than that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where's the protein?? Looks like some good eatin there..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking the same thing, where is your protein, girl? I would die on just lettuce all day. Perhaps I should just do it though...but at some point, I need some, well....protein - I am a Midwest girl, ya know. Jen H.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last night my husband had a work dinner at our favorite italian place. I asked if he'd bring back dinner for me--something very specicfic in the protein dept. He only brought home the leftover pasta and NO PROTEIN. He's lucky to be alive today. I'm w/Jen--if I only ate that I'd keel over. Off to breakfast for, yup, more protein!

    PS - every kid cuts their own hair at one point. I think you got off easy. You should've seen Joey the day he was diagnosed as diabetic--the kid shredded his hair and a chair in the basement when his blood sugar was over 700 (that's SCARY high)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's a Weezle Ball??? ;)

    Have fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of those greens look fresh and delicious! I am dreading the cold winters when anything green has traveled 2000 miles to find me.

    Sky is adorable-sheared bangs and all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the salads look good... and i gotta know to... weezle-balls?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm moving there just so you can prepare foods for me (leave out the chickpeas though!).

    Now what has caught my attention is the running for two hours without needing an Immodium. Even when I clear the path right before I run, I STILL have to go during the run. Hmmm... no sugar or processed stuff you say?

    Oh, and consider me your official Official! I'm all over it!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. super healthy....but how do you have any energy on that diet? That's like rabbit food!

    I'm feeling guilty about all my sugar/carb diet now!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting fact unknown to many: I was eating M&M's as I was reading your blog :-D

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOoK who's popping up with a comment! PAAAAAAULOOOO. When are you coming to Boston again? :-)

    Anyway, back to Rach...

    I'm STARVING looking at the daily intake. I must be more of grazing heifer than I though. It doesn't look like enough food to sustain me.

    I'd have *the shakes* about an hour after the latte and no calorie fruit.

    The salad... hummmmmm.. no black olives or a tiny bit of cheese?

    I'd need 2 of the jamba juice shakes.. one mid morning. one mid afternoon. Some nuts....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can any little girl get through the ages of 4,5,6 without cutting their own hair? My girls did the same thing - Can you say Duh!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dude, I'm starving just reading your blog today. I hate when people tell me how to eat or comment on my diet, but really-- that ain't enough grub for an endurance athlete. I'm assuming you're not mentioning your "sports nutrition," right? I would keep things the way they are but throw on more protein and high quality carbs. Muy importante for the recovery! OK I'm done lecturing. For now. ~amy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have an awesome time this weekend and most important of all HAVE FUN!

    Wow your daily food intake seems like nothing compared to what I seem to need to subsist on!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Since I usually read blogs while I'm eating, I happened to be having my 11am "snack" of pasta and meatballs while reading that! Maybe I should add some veggies?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Enjoy the big training weekend- hope it goes well and you find your KONA-mojo!

    ReplyDelete
  18. First of all, I'm a dietitian, and this new diet your on is making me feel like crap. I had a toaster strudel for breakfast and Pizza for lunch. I have to do better. Second of all, I just downloaded my Ironman athlete guide and I noticed someone's name on the 30-34 age group winners from last year.. holy poop.. you smoked em. When do you come over to the Big Island prior to the race? I'm thinking about having a shin dig.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So it appears like the universe is still in balance, because I'm eating all of the sugar and chocolate you gave up. Hershey and Mars won't notice even a slight dip in their profits as a result.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG RACH! That is enough food to feed 1/4 of you! What is up with that? You're scarin' me. I am hoping you eat WAY more than that, please tell us all that you do.....


    E

    ReplyDelete
  21. All the fresh fruit and veggies look yummy!

    I broke down yesterday and hate a small handfull of almond M&M's at work yesterday. Ahhh! Back on track now. Your discipline is motivating.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm the same way with moderation. Can't do it. I've had to take the all or nothing approach with sugar before. I don't think I ever made it two weeks though. And the bangs are a right of passage for little girls - at least she did a descent job, if seen much worse.

    ReplyDelete
  23. WTF? I sure hope we don't see all that food & weezle balls tossed all over the Queen K during your ride/run!!! Let alone 10 lbs of your tree sap leg meat scattered up/down Ali'i drive!

    Nice getto box!You wanna be hitch-hiker!

    Adjust this....!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hope that you are having an awesome time on the best island.

    ReplyDelete
  25. An apple, two salads and a smoothie? Seriously, that's all you eat? I think I would pass out from hunger if that was all I ate while training for an ironman.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey, have you read that book, SKINNY BITCH? I was reading it last night and thought of you - it is hilarious!!! right up your alley. Jen H.

    ReplyDelete
  27. memo to self...never have your photo taken with 2 beautiful women triathetes...boy do I need to get back into training LOL!

    See you up on stage at Ironman,

    Joe

    ReplyDelete