Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Down for the count.

I guess now is the time. Hard training + a bug in the air = doom.

Katherine and I returned from Kona and within 24 hours she was in the hospital with IV fluids being pumped in, unable to keep anything down. Hours later Ramsey was out too. Hours upon hours of extreme-puking. He has become permanently attached to the couch and is wasting away. Luckily I found Season 4 of The Office at Costco.

I was so screwed. It was only a matter of time. I woke up OK and decided to run while I could. Back to back days of running are miraculously now do-able. I ran an easy 5 yesterday and then mile repeats today on the Honolulu Marathon course. (Did I mention it's gorgeous? Ocean views.. ahem, Gerdes.) My speed workouts during my short little return to running have been slow. Like watch Katherine disappear into a speck on the horizon during a 2 minute pick up slow. Like lap me and I'll jump back in the pack and maybe no one will notice slow.

Something changed today. I don't know if it was the 20-miler over the weekend, or just that my legs are finally catching up. I saw old times. Pre-IT band injury times. My miles were 6:13 - 6:18, except for the one up Diamond Head. That one is nobody's business but my own. Not even training peaks knows. Not record-breaking pace or anything, but there were a bunch of them.

Not four hours later I was sitting in the office and suddenly my eyeballs were hot in my head. Then nausea hit. Damn. On the plus side, I made it home without puking in my car.. barely. Looks like I'm taking a few day off..

KN & I post first 100+ miler of the Kona build -- down for the count.

13 comments:

  1. silver lining.... you'll probably lose another couple of pounds!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that bag of tostitos on the floor!

    Don't try to avoid the inevitable, just give in and try to rest as much as possible. Here's to you feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a major bummer man. I wish I would get sick so I would stop eating this damn chocolate cake. Seriously. (I think there's something wrong with me)
    Take it easy over there. Don't puke on your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feel better quickly! Ramsey too. Glad the running is coming along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUCK!! Hope you feel better soon Rachel!! But the good news is - you got those darn miles in there and got them done FAST!! Great stuff! Rest up, hope you and your family and Katherine are feeling great again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopefully whatever it is you guys are suffering from passes soon. Sounds like you are back in kick ass shape for the run.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Better now than later... when the body is shocked it gets us sooner or later-SO glad you got yours "sooner". Hey, didn't last year you get it "later" and ended up racing with some 104* fever?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. noooooooo!! but bree is right. now is the best time. you can have a "Recovery" week. then hit it hard a couple weeks. then taper. then nail it in kona!!!

    i told james today that i want to move to hawaii..
    he said to have fun and send him a lei. booooooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. woah man...stay away from me! just kidding. If you need anything give me a call, I'll send Donovan. Funny story, we were riding in your neck of the woods and he said...hey is that rachel? I said might be, ride up there and see (up a long hill). He took off and blew right past this chick. I figured it wasn't you because he didn't stop. Then I realized I was gaining on her and knew there was no way it was you. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chicken noodle soup with veggies and tea. With honey. A little lemon. And - according to my Dad - a little Brandy. He keeps saying that it helps him sleep, but I'm not convinced... :)

    Hang in there - GREAT job on the mile repeats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Uhh, pukes are the worst thing EVAHHHH!!!!! Feel better.....you are more trained than you even know.....throw the legs up and ride the couch today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. bummer!! Puking is not fun. Your run times are awesome! I love that course. Can't wait to do that race again some day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dude, it's the Kona Vog that got you girls!! Seriously, you have to aquire a taste for the air in Kona these days!!!LOL!!
    Get better fast. See you this weekend at Na Wah he knee wee!LOL!

    ReplyDelete