Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Think I'll pack it in..

and buy a pick up, take it down to L.A.. I got Neil Young's Out on the Weekend stuck in my head while packing up the bike today. Packing was seeming less and less likely to happen as I tried to pack forty hours into a 3 day work week.. but then there was divine intervention. The pool was too cold. I swear I tried to swim, but it was so cold I just couldn't get warm. I know, wah wah wah, I live in Hawaii and I'm a wuss. So I got right back out and went home, and packed up New Clem. I like to think Tristan and Doug sent this awesome bike box to me special because they know I only travel with ghetto cardboard - but check this thing out! It has straps that hold the bike in it.. it's my fanciest bike box ever.

Phaedra (my soon to be camp-roommate) and I were discussing today whether one could actually pack a human in there too.. that bike box is roomy!

I head to San Diego tomorrow. I realize that those of you who have raced Oceanside 70.3 know that if I can't get in a pool in Hawaii when it's 70 outside, I'm absolutely screwed when it comes to facing the 58 degree water in California. I know, don't remind me! Last year was a disaster. But I'm a sucker for peer pressure.. so no doubt when my AG jumps in, I will too. Probably. Well, I give myself 50/50 odds, really.

When I arrive at 9 pm, I'm going straight to Shelby's for a sleepover party with Shelby, Phaedra and Haley. I hear the place is already trashed, and it's likely to get worse once P. shows up. Pillow fights are likely. Pictures are not!

When I lived on Moorea, I had one tape for my yellow sport-walkman. Out on the Weekend was that semester's theme song, along with Southern Cross and a little Ani Untouchable Face to mix it up. Here's Neil, before I was born, singing one of the best songs ever..




22 comments:

  1. Well that is a fancy bike box. :) Have fun and good luck with the race. The memories of that cold water - urgh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck this weekend! Love the bike box! I HATE cold water - specially when you can't warm up at all!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. get here already. i am AMAZED you can dismantle/pack a bike. really. that is very impressive.

    i had untouchable face and southern cross on the same mix tape freshman year in college. gotta love some CSNY followed by some chick hate folk.

    seriously. you can pack a bike. incredible. get on that plane!!! can't wait to see you race.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck at Oceanside! Packing my bike always intimidates the hell out of me.

    And you guys are crazy getting in that cold water. I know I'm not tough enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck this weekend!

    Maybe global warming will heat up that ocean for you. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always get Thrasher in my head, driving to races:
    "And I was just getting up, hit the road before it's light
    Trying to catch an hour on the sun..
    It was then I knew I'd had enough,
    Burned my credit card for fuel
    Headed out to where the pavement turns to sand"

    Have fun in Oceanside. With a wetsuit and a neoprene cap, it's not so bad..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachel have the BEST race ever ever ever! The colder the water the faster you'll get through it (so you can get out quicker). Look for Lisa, it'll be her first 70.3 ever on Clem's twin!!

    Im cheering for you LIKE CRAZY! Have some fun girl, just a bunch of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck and stay warm.
    That bike box is so eco-friendly/green. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not to make you jealous, but the Kaneohe pool was 80 degrees this morning! I know. God Bless America.

    BYW, the word verification I have for this comment is 'resting'. Ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rach, Good Luck, give hugs to Haley and the gang for me. Have so much fun with everyone and everything out there in SD....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Renaissance woman, I love your musical intellect...have fun at the race...look out for new pro, Angi Axmann, a fast little German gal with a pro card!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. sounds like trouble, those girls can get crazy..say no to peer pressure before the race..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ross, if you are on that run course any longer than 1:35 myself from Illinois and Sherpa Thomas from Arizona will be shouting at you to get your ass off that course because we're tired of cheering for you! GO GET 'EM!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have a fantastic race! Kick some A$$!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good Luck and have so much fun Rachael...run all the guys down:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yo Girl, I didn't realize you were doing Oceanside. Damn, it is going to be one big party down there this weekend AND I WON'T BE THERE! I picked the wrong year to skip that race, huh?

    Anyway, HAVE FUN AND RACE STRONG! You're gonna be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am mighty impressed you can pack your bike, I am still learning how to do this... ummm.... in less than 1 hour! I am not a big Neil Young fan but he is one of my brother's favorites (10 of his songs are in his top 25 all time favorite songs) so I could not resist watching the video - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. it's supposed to be 85 in NOLA this weekend, you picked the wrong race. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. 58 degree water! Oh man, I feel for ya! Just swim faster! Then you can get to the bike and run to warm up. You're going to kick ass!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Probably my fav NY song. Rarely played on the radio. Always passed over for Heart of gold, and Old Man.

    Good choice. Nice show in Oceanside.

    ReplyDelete