Saturday, March 28, 2009

I'm tired.

I initially signed up for Lavaman over in Kona, a great olympic distance race that was also the Best of the US qualifier for our state.. but I had too much going on here to get away, so Oahu it was for the weekend. Saturday morning I tested out my very bright pink cycling/run vest.. stuffed the pockets with the camera, larabar, cap, goggles and sunglasses and it zipped right up. And it didn't even make my ass look big (my ass, however, may have made my ass look big, but that is not one of my big concerns in life). It seems like the wind has been howling here forever.. look at the windward side below me, all white and choppy:

We rode 30 mi and planned to throw a swim in the middle, but that mission was aborted due to cold ocean.  I think the paddleboarding in the whipping wind was every bit as cold in the end. This is what it looks like when I get dropped off of Waikiki, with Katherine disappearing into the distance:

Sunday morning, the ride to the sprint tri was nearly as long as the race itself and I was tempted to sleep through it, but Derek was driving and it's hard to back out on someone when they're in the driveway ready to roll. So off we went to the Waterfront at Puuloa for the first sprint of the season. It was a 750 swim, 20k bike, 3.6 mile run. The swim may have been a wee bit short (or a lot, whatever) and I tried to hang onto Michelle and Stefan, but they pulled away. I was out third and first out onto the bike, after slipping and eating it on a corner in transition. Michelle flew by while I fiddled with my shoes.  Michelle, 5 months post-baby, was just behind the whole way, holding the same pace and pushing me to go go go. We worked through the men and Ewa Beach and came back into transition in 29 minutes. And then it was on to the good part. The run was long - 3.8 miles, if one were really really anal and, um, mapped it or something, and flat and quick. I ran 24:06 and finally broke out of the 6:30 rut with 6:17/mi. And that includes the time spent running back for my chip when it jumped off my leg. I finished in 1:03, first girl, sixth human. 

Michelle and I, post-race. Excuse the fashion tragedy, but with bangs, it's blow dry em or hide em.

It's funny the things we care about after. I couldn't tell you what my swim or bike pace was, but I know my run pace, and I know my transitions were 23 and 25 seconds.. I am all about keeping it simple in transition.. transition is free time!

My friend Derek did his first tri in 1:15, an awesome 15 minutes faster than he had planned on. And he puked on the run, which I think is the sign of a well-raced sprint triathlon. Some photos:

excited to swim, as always:


An unusual finish.. timing chip in hand, making sure it beeps!
The podium!

Off to San Diego on Thursday.. if I can get all my work done first. Half-ironmans don't hurt as much as sprints, do they?

21 comments:

  1. Awesome race - and run!! See you next weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clearly I need to learn how to transition. ;) And I think sprints are definitely harder than 1/2's!! Good luck next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and Michelle look so cute.
    Another fantastic race! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job-Looking as cute as always in that pink vest :)

    Best of luck in Oceanside-Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the BOUS slot :-) you missed epic winds on the bike and run and a few turtles on the swim.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow - 23 seconds. I seriously need to learn how to transition.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yay for the good race. Good luck at oceanside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome Rachel! Congrats on your win! See you soon and safe travels to CA! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally agree about the transitions! I am already dreading the Cali transition though. It's looooooong!

    Can't wait to see you!

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome job, RR! I got the update from Michelle yesterday, but nice to read your RR! :) Sprints HURT badly. See you in Cali.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great race! I never figure out splits in triathlon...well...other than going and driving the bike course to make sure it is accurate. But that is really just to let the race directors know. It has NOTHING to do with me :) It's amazing what we are so passionate about. I wonder what it is like to actually be passionate about all 3? I love transitions too.

    Love the new suit...and yes, interesting "chip timing." Are you sure "chip" isn't someone's name? Like Chip Kawalski, from the Bronx, came out to time the race and he's a really short guy, and when you approached by what looked like a wire it was actually a line and when you knelt down he could see the number written on your hand? Just an idea. I think "Chip" has timed at a couple races I have done. For some reason he still misses some splits. But he has been consistent at that and that has got to account for something.

    Congrats and we'll see you soon.

    Roger

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice work... still laughing at the photo of you finishing. That is GREAT.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The head scarf...lovely.
    The Elvis glasses...smoking.
    The finish photo...pee my pants funny!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats Rachel! Love the finishing pic!

    Lisa(fitmoms)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on your race - that pic is great!
    Have a fantastic race in San Diego!!!
    How did you get the vest off of Sky?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm tired just reading about it...you must be exhausted!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are the fastest transitions I have ever heard of. The Elvis shades look great. Nice first race of the year - with easily the best finish line photo.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on the win! The finish line pic is great, why don't those chips stay on? Good luck next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great result, awesome transitions, and killer swim cap!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome! Great job on the race and the win! And best of luck for the Oceanside 70.3 coming up this weekend!! You will rock!

    ReplyDelete