Thursday, April 2, 2009

Giant metal death box.

I think I've mentioned the flying problem I have. I was fine on planes until I had kids, then something switched. Now I am an airplane psycho, which is bad when you live in the middle of the Pacific, unless you own a really big boat. I don't.

This is me on a plane:

What was that noise? Did the tail just fall off? We're going to DIE. Was this dumb race/vacation/wedding/fill in the blank really worth dying for? What's that smell, I smell burning, the PLANE IS ON FIRE or maybe the coffee has been sitting a little too long or they're heating up the food or the PLANE IS ON FIRE and we're going to DIE. What is that woman all nervous about does she know something I don't? I'm too young to die.. and on and on for five plus hours until we touch down in California.

This is me on a plane after discovering the joy of adavan, which I think is just a nice word for valium, but I'm too lazy to look it up:

I think I'll wash these pills down with some wine. Ooooh we're moving. Bye Oahu! Bye Diamond Head! Oh look there's my house! There's Sandys! I can see Molokai. My arms are all heavy. I can't really feel my feet. I think I'm going to take a little napppppppp.... and then it's Welcome to San Diego.

It's kind of like Sky after a sleep over party. Wyatt too, for that matter:

The moral of my story: Not all drugs are bad, kids. Choose wisely.

16 comments:

  1. Ha ha, I love it. Have a great race Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love the metal death box. Take the pills..it sounds like you need them...and they help you! Have a great trip and go race you &%% off! Have fun! I'll be rooting for all of you kids over there. You're going to do great RR.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some days I miss my old life:
    I'm tired. Maybe I'll spark up a doob to help induce sleep. Ah, that's better. Getting sleepy. Well, now I'm hungry. Mmmmm... chocolate, chips & candy. Now I'm full and can't sleep. Maybe I'll take a couple more tokes.
    Maybe I don't miss that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great! My girlfriends husband is a pharmacist and she gets some good flight concoctions for when she flys - maybe I should "hook" you up?
    Have a great race!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad that you made it. Have a good race. I love flying because I watch LOST. And because of Captain Sully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. God bless the pharmaceutical industry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "The moral of my story: Not all drugs are bad, kids. Choose wisely."

    Great freakin' line Mrs. Ross. Much more practical and realistic than the "Just Say No" campaign.

    Good luck this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your kids will be proud you posted that pic of them. Nothing beats a prescription pharmaceutical expect a prescription pharmaceutical in a pressurized environment chased with wine while strapped in a seat. Be sure to double check any pills you might take before the race - I can tell you from experience, that is a mistake you do NOT want to make twice. (Once was kind of fun, but learn from my mistake.) (Why is my word verification "rations"? Is there a hidden meaning in there?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny.
    Good on ya for managing your mental health.

    Good luck and kick some fricken ace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i may have to quote you on that. rain's class had a whole lecture series on the "just say no" stuff this year and they sent home a form for all of the parents to fill out about OUR attitudes towards drugs. seriously, what is up with that? i asked rain is she was a narc but she didn't know what that was, so i told her to ask her teacher....
    just wait, your time for that is coming....lol...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a great race and a fun weekend! Glad you found a cure for what ails you...stress is a serious drag. Way to dampen it down.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No wonder you were afraid. Who wants to fly in a box-shaped plane? Most planes are shaped like tubes :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I could have written that post. Feel the exact same way when flying...can't wait for the good drugs again.

    The current "safe while the crazy mom is breastfeeding" dosage is just enough to make me feel a little bit drowsy while I am sweating bullets and planning our escape route WHEN we go down 'cause of that clang I just heard.

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What drugs were your kids on when you took the picture :)

    I hope the flight was okay. I don't like flying much either, but more because I don't like being around all the weird germy people.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ativan & Alcohol = the perfect combination!

    ReplyDelete
  16. HA! That sounds like me. Ever since I was on a plane where I noticed flames shooting out of one of the engines, I have not loved flying. Congrats on a good race yesterday!

    ReplyDelete