Sunday, April 5, 2009

Timex camp!

Quickie Cali 70.3 race report: I had a hard time here last year with the cold, and I struggled again in the water, swimming 31 minutes for 2k, but not telling lifeguards I was going to die, so there was some improvement. I've never really raced a half-ironman well, so my plan was to race it like an olympic distance and see how long I could last. If I caught my breath on the bike, I told myself to pick it the hell back up. There are some crazy climbs, people walking their bikes, and so many gorgeous sights to see along that course! I biked 2:38, a six minute improvement over last year. I came off the bike 3rd in my AG. I knew I needed second for a Kona slot. I swore last year I was taking a break from Kona this fall.. but I wanted to race for it and have the option. I ran into second place with a slightly slower than I'd wanted 1:34 half marathon, but they had us run over the sand for a 1/4 mile four times, and that really did slow me down. The gamble of cycling as hard as I could paid off in net time. I finished in 4:47, 2nd in my division, 18th woman overall, and probably the happiest I have ever been with a half-ironman race.

And yes, I thought about it, for about three seconds, and didn't take the Kona slot or the Cheatwater slot. I've raced Kona three years in a row, and last year my heart wasn't in it. It's time for a year off. My friend Charisa took the slot and was so excited about going to Kona - which means it all worked out perfectly.

Camp is a blast. Lots of great friends, good food, and time at a gorgeous hillside hotel above Oceanside. Today we heard from Bontrager and Nathan and Trigger Point and Lifesport.. and managed to fit in some pool lounging time. And this evening I'm meeting up with Beth and Kirsten for margs before dinner.. can't wait!


Juli & Sharpie, kids playing at the bar, and Doug not afraid of my post-race hair:





15 comments:

  1. Sweet do! And awesome race. Way to hang in there although I am sure you made it look easy. Enjoy camp and have safe trip back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock, plain and simple. It was an honor to chase you all day long. So glad you were happy with your race! I expect you to come to Kona and yell at me to PICK IT UP! on the bike :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, that's some hair. Yowza! :P

    So it'll be you and me in Kona, drunk and debaucherous on the sidelines! WHAT WHAT! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great race Rach. I kind of like that i am not the only one with hair like that post-race. And D, me too, me too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic job out there. Your three second decision must have been a tough one, but it is great that you are being true to yourself and doing what is best(not sure if you could top last years race report of picking salt tabs off the ground :)). Continue with the fun in Cali and keep racing strong!

    tn

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a great swim time to me! Great race, way to push it on the bike. Have fun at camp.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great race Rachel..seriously..impressive and such a good attitude about it. I'm so glad you finally got what you wanted out of a half..now teach me! ha! Enjoy camp.. go TP someones room..or whatever. I think that's what you do at camp from what I remember?

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the race plan! LOVE it! Just go for it and see what's left!

    ENJOY camp and Cally!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where are those great shots of that really "self proclaimed" cool guy, Roger?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the great race RR!

    Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic race!! Inspirational as always! I received the lululemon postcard in the mail last Friday..thanks a million.

    Love the post-race do! Many women in NJ pay big bucks for hair like that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great race RR
    and good for you to be smart and not cave in and taking the slot. That takes discipline itself.
    xx
    e

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a great race! Enjoy your time in CA and safe travels back home.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on your race - that's awesome!!!
    Enjoy Cali and some good wine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. RR, you are such a superstar. I love it. My goal is to focus on cycling this year and ride like you and Maggs and Marit and Courtenay.

    I was wondering if you were happy with your race. I'm really glad to hear you are!! And I'm also really glad to hear you made the right decision for YOU and not based on what anybody thought you should do. Congrats on your awesomeness! :D

    ReplyDelete