Thursday, April 16, 2009

Glassy

This is what the ocean looked like this afternoon.

The wind has finally died down a little. In a week and a half, Katherine and I are racing the Kahala Challenge, an 800m swim, 5k run, 2 mile paddlboard race. Finally, we get a Kukio-style race here on Oahu! So we've been trying to get on the paddleboard at least once a week. It is so much harder than I remember from my water-girl days. We paddled from one end of Waikiki to the other and back late this afternoon, on perfect turquoise glass.

My first sport was paddling. My very best friend and across the street neighbor, Haseena, dragged me down to Hui Nalu at Maunalua Bay when I was 11. We were on the girls 12 and under team and had shirts made that said We Race for First Place! They were very cool. I wore pink and black flojos at the time, was about the same height I am now, 5'11" but about 20 pounds lighter. It was not pretty. I was the definition of gangly and uncoordinated. But my weight made me an ideal steersman, so it wasn't long before I was steering canoes out into the deep stuff. Another of my best friends was made in Maunalua Bay, when we were practicing open-water changes and I said to the random girl next to me: Look, it's cornflower blue! and she answered It really is. Do you want a kitten? I'm a sucker for kittens.. I still talk to Nani everyday. 

I paddled each summer for ten years, and four years of high school. High school paddling taught me to be an athlete. We ran every day, often timed, and did swim workouts and paddled for hours and hours on Saturday mornings. There were whales and dolphins and sometimes we would huli near Diamond Head Buoy just to freak ourselves out and see how fast we could flip the canoe back over and get out of the water. Once our canoe lost a plug and sunk a mile offshore and we had to swim for it as the sun set. I had a coach that changed my life for the better and had this incredibly faith in my ability that I never understood.

When I went off to Cal, I tried rowing. Practice was at 5 am. It was freezing. We rowed on the Oakland Estuary. I made it until spring break, when I was so homesick I was dying to get back to Hawaii. I hit a dead pig with my oar and that was it, I was done. It was not the sport for me. Someday, I'll go back to paddling, when I have the time flexibility to commit to a team sport. I'll probably be 45 or so and the kids will all be in college.. but paddleboarding today on that glassy, turquoise ocean reminded me that I have to get back to it someday. It's so nice to spend an hour on the ocean. Regatta season starts now, people.

11 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh I could hardly read this post without getting all nostalgic! I agree, something about paddling is just unreal! It was my favorite hobby (Kai Opua days). AND I miss it. okay, you were the steersman, I was the seat 1 setting the stroke pace, so that means we totally have a team... lets do one of those really long races together! And your Nani is a rock star, she is playing soccer with the boys in huge pig tails and a short skirt, I just love it, she is hilarious!

    have fun training for that, and come race Kukio this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah you two Hawaii girls make em all jelaous. It would be good to see you do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, what a life and a great walk down memory lane. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, great story RR! Now I wish I lived in Hawaii and could paddleboard... Yeah - I also used to row...amazing all the tings that your oars will hit, eh? Good luck with the race - you'll do great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Story request from the Arctic North. Did you grow up in Hawaii? What brought you there if you didn't? What brought your parents there if you did? Where are they livng now? Would you ever come to the mainland? (realize this is a recon mission for a relocation in about 2 years).......

    So strange.... no one ever asks me: WOW, you get to shovel snow? What brought you to the great white north?

    :-) mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh what a beautiful day of training you had. Paddle boarding sounds great.

    ready...
    set...
    Huki!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the pig would have been the end for me as well . . . reminds me of Lynn Cox's swimming and putting her hand through the dead dog - just GROSS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm very jealous, you get to race a paddleboard tri..

    ww canoe paddling is my first choice of sport, but it takes too much time anymore.

    Once in Greece I took my boys (7 and 4 then) out in a borrowed boat, to a school of dolphins playing offshore. It was great, until the waves washing over the stern and the nonexistent plug, sank us.. Those sunglasses are now in 200ft of wine-dark Aegean sea; since I grabbed boy (4) on the way down rather than the glasses. The whole village turned out to execrate me as we draggled our way onto the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I rowed in college, too! Unfortunately for my social life/academic career, I foolishly stuck out the 5 am practices for 3 yrs, and was officially known as "the girl who sleeps in class"; )

    I was a bow seat, so between you, bree, and I, we almost have a full boat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK Rach-
    The 45 and the kids will all be in college comment was low! That is much to soon for some of us!

    Looking forward to seeing you!

    ReplyDelete