Saturday, April 25, 2009

saturday in pics


Last week I won a mint plant. It died in a mid-week monsoon. This week I won a coconut tree. Everything about the first Kahala Challenge was cool. An 8 am start? Awesome.

Note the orange nails.. this is Dale's tree, and I think he may have done the spray painting.

The overall winner.. on the left. And me, the runner up, second week in a row! Always a bridesmaid.. check out the transition full of canoes, paddleboards, and stand up boards. It was a whole different thing to run a 3.5 mile run knowing that you still have another sport to compete in when you finish. Katherine got away on the swim, and a few more seconds away on the run, and then I made up some time on the paddle.. just not quite enough.

Billy found us paddle boards, then got them to Kailua for us for the race, then rode around on a cruiser cheering us on.
While waiting for awards, Mike asked me what I do for IT band syndrome and I showed him my favorite pre-run psoas stretch. It was contagious. Please note that the famous physical therapist, second from the right, has the wrong arm in the air!

The fastest relay team of Mike, Dale & Jaco with their coconut trees:

What's in the second place bag? A pair of these Kaenon glasses, which look somewhat ridiculous on me, in a nicole richie way. They're so huge that I pulled them out of the bag and laughed... And then I put them on, and it was if my eyes had gone and died to heaven. They're polarized, and the lenses make the world an easier place to look at.. I'm in love. And they make up for the race entry fee times five. I never understand when people complain about prizes at races. They're an added bonus. Today was a super-bonus day.


The race was a perfectly run and such a fun change from the usual triathlon scene. There were many familiar tri-world faces, and even more new faces. There was a calmer, mellower air about it, and many new friends were made. I can't wait for next year.. or maybe Kukio Challenge over on the Big Isle this summer?

After the race we lunched at the outrigger, then walked down waikiki with the Toes on the Nose boys. A pic of me and my barefoot crew:

Down by Canoes we were lucky enough to find Rabbit Kekai, who entertained us for an hour or two with stories of Waikiki in the Duke Kahanamoku days.. he is a rascal. I learned jokes that I will never, ever, ever repeat in my life. In fact, some of them I would like to forget!


That blonde bump just in front of Wyatt's foot? Yeah, this was a kick in the head almost caught on film. We swung on the banyan trees and listened to Sheryl Crow's sound check at the Shell.. it was a nice free concert to end the day.

11 comments:

  1. such a bridesmaid...
    amazing job- you're quite the paddler! maybe you need to come out here and dominate Surf Monkey this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I've come to accept that I will never be as fast as you are. But if there's any way for me to make my hair like yours, I will do what it takes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job! And the sunglasses? LOVE THEM! Polarized is the way to go :) I LOVE standup paddleboarding. (We call it YOLOING on the Gulf Coast) Sounds like you guys had an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on the race. What an amazing day. Love the picture of all of you walking barefoot. Not something we do a lot of up here in Chicago. In fact Zach was a little freaked out when his feet touched live grass for this first time this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I spy my FAVORITE LUCKY SWEATS!! What a fun day that sounded like!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I spent my Sunday doing laundry, trying to outrun a classic midwest thunderstorm, and pealing carrot sticks for sack lunches all week.

    Your life in infinitely cooler than mine.

    Congrats on the race! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job - LOVE the picture of you and the kids barefoot. Perfect! And a Sheryl Crow sound check? Fantastic! Sounds like a great weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing day! Congrats on the race and awesome new shades! Your family is just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job on the race and so fun that you and your friend can share the victory:) Love all the photo's and really love your sweat outfit(is it Lucky??)

    I want to swing on the Banyan tree,,,,how fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey girl. I met you after Cali70.3 this year. Finally looked up your blog. Funny that you think Ala Moana is icky and foggy. When I was out there I LOVED swimming there. I thought it was so clear, and I felt like scary sea life would stay away because of the sand bar. Felt way better than the waters here in San Diego!
    Stay positive w/ the foot pain. I'm just trying to come back from an injury pre-cali. Not running is not easy! Seems like everyone I know has a bit of an injury and can't run right now :(

    Cheers!
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete