Saturday, April 18, 2009

I heart jellyfish.

People here on Oahu complain about Kona Winds (which to me, just seems to mean no wind, but I'm not a scientist or anything. Oh wait --) but the ocean is so gorgeous on Kona days that I can't bother to complain about the heat. This is the view from the far end of Waikiki this morning, before Katherine, Ingrid and I headed out for a short pre-race workout:


The surf at Diamond Head was small, but so glassy and pretty we had to stop and take a look, and a picture.. mushroom heads!

Then we hopped in the water. There wasn't a jellyfish sign up yet, but we had just discussed half an hour earlier that it was time. They come each month, about a week after the full moon. Mornings are the worst. Out at the windsock:


That was the last happy moment, before I swam face-first into a pile of jellyfish. Damn you, box jellyfish. I come into your habitat at your time of the month and splash around in my inefficient human way.. and you sting me across the face. Ow.

The really, really nice beach boy, whose name I forget, had vinegar. He was so nice that when he told me to put my goggles on before he sprayed my face down and I said I don't know where they are, he replied, they're on your head, without adding dumbass to the end. Thank god he had vinegar, because the other best thing to do is kind of gross. Especially on the face.

I now have a giant red nose, kind of like bozo. And I'm all welted up and swollen.

And this is my whiney, my-face-hurts face.

Tomorrow is the Lanikai Triathlon. It's a sprint, and it's going to be crazy. Ingrid hasn't raced in a couple of years and she's an ass-kicker who just did the Cape Epic mountain bike stage race in South Africa. And Katherine is always right up there too, not to mention all the other great Oahu athletes.. the last 1/2 mi of the run is on the beach, in the water.. it's going to be fun.

11 comments:

  1. At least you aren't swimming in the back bay of Newport Harbor like everyone here. I hear it is gross. Ms. Rolles better watch out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still look smokin hot to me, lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should have come over to kailua today. It was *perfect*!
    See ya tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, jellyfish stings are NOT very fun...and the tenticles feel really really, uh, weird. Like sticky spaghetti or something... Nice job with the workouts, and have a blast tomorrow! Yeah! PS - hooray for vinegar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the t-shirt. Sorry about the face - both pouty and swollen. Good luck on the race!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yuck. maybe that's a sign that you shouldn't be swimming. that would be enough to make me quit!!
    good luck tomorrow ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch. Hope the race goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My friend hit the box jelly during the Waikiki Swim about a decade ago. He still won't do the race again and he only got stung on the arm. The face is brutal! You're one brave lady. Good luck in the race tomorrow. Love the new pink bike shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look like you had some bad plastic surgery injections done. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes,dabbing pee on your face just wouldn't be so fun there Mz. RR. Thank goodness for runner up-vinegar!

    BTW you still look lovey dawling even with a stung nose. Love the pix of you guys in the water!
    Hope you had fun at the sprint Tri.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post (only for the humor, of course not for the ouchie nose)... glad you got pics!

    ReplyDelete