Friday, April 3, 2009

California

































I love San Diego. I woke up my first morning here and headed out for a run in La Jolla. It was supposed to be short, since I'm racing tomorrow, but it was too beautiful to stop.

After coffee with Haley and Rick, my former employer, who was also out for a run at 6am when I texted that I was in town, I headed up to Timex base camp. Just in time to find Doug directing Tristan as he gave the giant truck-version of me a scrub down. I hope I am never, ever, really this big.






























I washed the tires.
























Then it was off to the expo, where I ran into Courtenay & Marit.

















And then all of these clowns:


















And then I got to babysit Andrew, the gorgeous baby up top there, for a while. He kept me company while I went through race registration. A couple super-smart triathlete people asked if I had a baby since Kona in October.


And in exchange for babysitting, Andrew's mom Eli hooked me up with this cap, so that my noggin won't freeze tomorrow. Well, so that it will freeze less.















Then we stopped off at Rivet Cyclesport, owned by Matt and Debbie (formerly of Oahu and the still of the Boca Family), where I got to meet their new baby, Tor.
















I have a serious crush on San Diego. I come here yearly, and never stay more than 3 or 4 days.. but everytime I land here I feel like I'm coming home. Which is odd, because I've never lived here. I rent a car and breeze around the freeways without ever getting lost. And I get lost on Oahu more than I would care to admit. Thank god for mauka and makai. But never here.. I must have lived here in another life.

Tomorrow it's on -- 70.3 miles of racing!

10 comments:

  1. You HAVE to post a pic of you in that cap. It will be incredibly flattering. That guy scrubbing the truck seems to be enjoying his job a bit too much. I might feel uncomfortable if I were you. Tor looks like my dog, except Tor has all four legs. What a pretty boy! Good luck tomorrow. You will be one of many I will be tracking. Go Rach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GO RACH GO! Come on chica, you can do this! You sound so happy,
    happy mood=good race! LOUD cheers comin' at cha! I'm with Todd, post a foto in that cap!! enjoy your time in Cally!!

    MUCH aloha and love and support to you from the Big Island!! AND you are FAMOUS! That truck foto of you is so cool! I love it! I want to be on a truck! That is rad!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun Rachael..you look smashing in all your photo's I am really liking the bangs:)) and I am with Bree...HOW cool is that photo of you on the truck....love it:)) Will be following you during the race...good vibes sent!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck tomorrow! You are going to rock it. I also love your blue jacket, that is my favorite color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. San Diego always sounds so amazing when people visit.

    Good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic Race! 2nd in AG. I hope it was fun. Great start to the HIM season. Now party it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Race RR. Seriously, you did awesome!!! Can't wait to hear all the gory details.. you always tell them so well. Have fun and enjoy SD!

    ReplyDelete
  8. FANTASTIC race RR! Nice to finally meet you! I swear I wasn't standing on my tip toes in the picture... :) Enjoy the rest of your time in SD - anytime you're here, let me know! OH - and you looked stunning in the suit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You amaze me! You race IM Hawaii and have a baby all in the span of 5 months! Talk about over achiever.

    ReplyDelete