Sunday, June 1, 2008

Hawaii 70.3 - well, part of it.

It really is amazing how much fun can be had in less than 36 hours on the Big Island.

Katherine and I arrived, checked in, went to Coach Paul's swim clinic, swam, saw dolphins in the bay, set up our bikes in the grass on the hillside, rode our bikes to the best of our ability (tried not to crash into each other in the howling wind) and dropped off our bikes/bags in the first 4 hours in town. Here's a self-portrait of busy us..

We found a familiar face on the Hapuna hillside, Bree! Bree got sick this week, and the timing couldn't have been worse. After some awesome training, her body needed a break.. so her hometown race was in jeopardy. If you look close, you can see one the world's fastest-traveling jogging strollers in the background, complete with Kainoa the stroller jockey. At two he has likely hit speeds many of us will never know.

The race part - we got to bed early on Friday night after all that running around and an early dinner with Katherine, the wild woman Phaedra & Coach Paul. Up at 4-something to howling winds.. uh-oh. I've been really lucky in Kona and never raced in windy conditions. The ocean was choppier than I've ever seen at Hapuna, and the palm trees outside our window were leaning. 

After the usual fun of pre-race transition set up, marking, and socializing, the start time totally snuck up on me and I had to run down the the water with only 5 minutes until the start. After the swim a friend asked if I had been wearing an orange cap. Nooo, the race caps were pink. I dumped my swim bag out last night - orange lifesport cap. Oops. I was a little hurried. I lined up with the pros as the Coach instructed. Yep, a huge stretch for me, who has never broken 32 in a half! But Paul was confident that I could hold onto the girls' feet, so that's where I started. It was interesting to be lined up with the current Ironman World Champ Macca, and other incredible athletes like Sam McGlone, Tim Marr, Luke Mackenzie, and Gina Kerr. A little intimidating. We were off - and I hopped on the feet I was instructed too. I stayed there for 100m or so, and then there was a big collapse of people onto me, things got tight and scary and I could no longer tell who was who. DJ hit me in the head, HARD. He should have worn a swimskin, it provides more anonymity. The current was strong and sighting was impossible, so I didn't bother, I just blindly followed. I came out and didn't look at my watch, as instructed.. but there was a giant clock at the mat, which was another 150 meters up the beach. 29:54.. 29:55... I considered sliding, but was worried I would actually hurt myself while acting like a jackass. I made it by 29:56. Slower than I was hoping for, but a 2+ minute PR none the less. I was the 9th girl out of the water.

Onto the clementine bike and out on to the highway - uneventful, but hard because of the hill up to T1. I tried to let my HR settle down to the range I wanted to race in. It wouldn't. Not even at the bottom of the Queen K rollers. It would get close, but when it did I felt sluggish and inefficient. Since I wasn't running, I decided to just go for it, and see if maybe I could hold the crazy high rate for the duration. The Coach said it was a day to push, to have fun, and maybe take some risks. It was a gorgeous day out, clear and sunny, and the winds were blowing, but most of the time it was a cross wind that wasn't especially killer, just had me leaning at a funny angle and occasionally made me fear I'd blow over the guard rail. There were short bursts where I hunkered down into a head wind, but they never lasted long. About a quarter of the way into the ride Tyler Stewart flew by on the bike and I tried to keep her in sight.. and now I have a new max HR for the bike! The turn around at Hawi came quickly, probably because it's a mile or two before the Ironman turn around, which always makes it a nice surprise. The descent was fun, and I was slowly making my way up through some people. The HR was still much higher than I thought I could hold, so I was careful not to get behind on calories and continued to feel good. Before I knew it I was at Kawaihae, with about 6 miles to go back to T2. I was time to go! My plan was to time trial it in and see how many people I could catch. It's not like I had to run, so why the hell not? I put my head down and caught about 10 people and held 24+ mph for those last hilly miles.. not fast, but fast for me after 50 miles of zone four riding. I caught one more girl & came into T2 in 5th place. Bike split was 2:35 flat, which is actually 2.5 minutes slower than last year. What? I guess the 4 weeks of rest/2 weeks of bike training caught up with me. 

I thought it was going to suck to quit. That I was going to want to sneak out onto the run, or that I would have to hide in the bushes and cry a while.. but it was hot and I was tired and I saw Coach guarding the T2 exit and behaved myself. I let the lazy me enjoy it and tried to not be a competitive psycho. I dropped my bike off and went off and found Bree, also spectating, and then ran a mile or so out (easy) to stretch my legs and find Katherine. At mile 9 of the run she had moved up to 5th overall and first amateur. She was flying through the run and probably didn't need the encouragement, but it was so fun to be out there cheering on friends for a change instead of focusing on my race and what I had to do. Katherine held on to 5th, breaking 5h for the first time on the Honu course and winning 40-44 by 2 minutes. So many Hawaii people raced really well.. and I thoroughly enjoyed watching the finish for the first time in my three years of triathlon.

I had so much fun on the Big Island playing with friends, swimming and riding as hard as I possibly could, and catching up with my coach for the first time in real life. And in spite of being a BIG FAT QUITTER ;)~ it was a great experience. And hopefully the last injury-induced DNF..

After the race Katherine took her first ever shot. Phaedra, it seems, is an expert shot-taker, and she was the instigator. We had fun at awards. This is me, Katherine & Phaedra the Goddess of Light - who PR'd her run after a discouraging flat! And drank everyone else under the table in spite of her sub-100 lb size:


Paul & his hawaii girls:

Some guy, me, Timexer Amanda & Luke recovering at Starbucks (go figure):

Paul & me, post-race. Turns out a DNF makes for a wide variety of post-race food options, and the first round of the free Jamba Juice. A benefit of quitting I had never considered..


14 comments:

  1. Great race report...and so glad you had a good time! I want to see the rest of that groovy-looking suit you are wearing in the last pic.
    -Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done on the swim! Gotta love Madame Pele and her can of whoop arse she can deliver on race course! Sounds like you really enjoyed your day both on and off the course! I can't believe all empty beer bottles at your table during awards! Are you guys training for something else we should know about? hahaha!

    I'm the dork who took the photo of you coach and bree at awards then turned the camera on myself and Brooke! haha! Patrick...Bree's sidekick who probably got her sick during the 8hour training day she had! oooppps!

    by the way we have a friend in common....Kelly Burns. She and I worked at Sea Life Park together.

    Best of luck with remaining tri season, be safe!
    Patrick-

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not quitting if it is irdered by your coach and planned ahead!

    Great job on the swim PR! Sounds like a fun time out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! You clearly made the most of the opportunities you had. All the best as you get fully back into action.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOOO HOOOO! Nice Job - congratulations on a phenominal race - really nice job on the swim (HOLY PR BATMAN!) and rock the bike. Sweet! Love the descriptions of the race (sideways on the bike...)... and the pictures. "some guy"??? Ha ha. :) Congrast - way to RACE with the PROS!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the awesome swim! I'm proud of you for following coach's orders...I seriously had my doubts :) I thought you would sneak out onto the run course in disguise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. way to push!! congrats on a huge swim pb!
    -- just got the pink flame suit too! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work, lady. Glad you had such a good time and ripped it up too. Way to go for a swim PR - Niiice. Wish I could have been there cheerin' you on in person... just savin' all my love for Cd'A next year ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That suit looked so good on you... i was screaming so loud at you coming off the bike! Then I remembered I meant to take a photo of you in that suit on your bike... WAY too cute, you get shouts in those little shorts... BUT man you should have seen the men standing near me as you rode in with that little suit up your booty... promise you would be happy with yourself!

    NICE swim... what do you say since this year team Hawaii stunk it up we rule next year?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good work SISTER! Especially on making it to Starbucks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job Rachel!! Out there racing with the pros and shining bright! No doubt if you had been able to run, you would have run yourself into an even better position. But save that for next time you are racing on the big island when it REALLY counts. Glad you had such a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that is a fantastic swim! way to go and do what you needed to do and enjoy the process.

    you can truly tell that you do this because you love to race and compete(and you are looking good while you do it!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey girl! Great job this weekend. Unbelievable that you pr'd on that swim in SUCH tough conditions. I'm excited to see your Kona swim time. As far as the bike, it was just a touch breezy out there.....and your time was still extremely impressive.

    Thanks for hanging with me this weekend and for all of the encouragement.....and FUN! Man, you crack me up. Good times, good times.

    Keep following Paul's instructions to get that knee all healed for Kona. I'm still trying to figure out a way to come watch again.....sshhh :).

    Rest up and take care of that knee.....

    Word-
    Phaedra

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweet Rach! Awesome swim PR, but we know next time you will not lose (you know who's) feet? You can totally do it! Thanks for your super sweet email! You're so AWESOME!

    XO,
    E

    ReplyDelete