Thursday, May 29, 2008

Tri Trips.

Last year was my first tri traveling year. I'm so afraid of flying that I drug myself into submission to get on the plane. It's an ocean thing. There is nowhere to pull over, people! I picked a good place to live for a person with that particular phobia, but still, there's something I love about traveling to a new race enough to get me in a giant hunk of metal thats going to be hurled into the sky.

I love packing up my bike in it's super fancy cardboard box with tape all the way around holding every flapping inch of it together. For yet another vacation. And I love cramming all my gear in around the bike so I can just travel with carry-on. I even love the looks of pity/horror as I drag my cardboard box up to the timex truck/shop/hotel to put it together. I don't lift it, I pretend it has wheels. One side has given out completely because of this behavior, because the PHX airport is big, so now that end is the handle. 

I love the tri people. I hear negative talk sometimes about tri people, complaining about the over-competitiveness, the showing off, posturing, the meeting of all the Type A personalities.. and then I show up at the race and it's a freaking ice cream social. Everyone is just so nice. There are so many characters. Goofballs and genuises and hams and gearheads, all in the same place to do the same thing. And there's no judging by looks. That hairy guy with the big ass may just kick yours out there. Every race is a reunion and an opportunity to make a bunch of new friends.

I love the race morning nerves. The progression that I know is inevitable from waking up in the morning wondering why the hell I got myself into this, to the ten checks of my bike in transition and the "be good, bike" good-bye routine, and then the chattering with all the friends (or strangers, I'm not picky) to calm me down and take my mind off the impending pain during the wait, and then on to the moment just before the start in a strange new body of water, when I finally get calm and quiet (the latter being because I'm under water.)

I love the surprises of a new bike course, having no idea where the heck I'm going and just following the cones or the bikes up ahead. Same goes for the run. New scenery, new city, new beach, new neighborhood, so much to see that the miles fly by. This is Amy and I at Hagg Lake last year, off to check out the course for Nationals. We got cold. We didn't make it very far out of the parking lot. So much for bike course recon.


I love picking out cheesy presents to bring back to my Henry, Wyatt and Sky. It seems their approval of the gift is inversely proportionate to its cost. I also love reading a book without constant interruption - the highlight of a night in a hotel!  I asked Henry if he would miss me, he told me to bring him back something Indy. What are the odds I'm going to find something Indiana Jones at KOA International?  Off to the Big Island!

11 comments:

  1. Hey Rachel! There is something about knowing that we get to go as hard as want on the bike and we don't have to get off and run 13.1 miles! I'm sure later I'll be annoyed but I bet at the time I'll be thinking, ha! You have to run and IIIII dooonnnn'tttt! Have a great time in Honu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you didn't pack the running shoes! Good luck and enjoy being able to WATCH the run, it's a different experience, and really fun.
    Travel safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great time. Say "Hi" to Kona for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Post! I can completely empathize!! Hope that you got everything packed up - that can be a bit of a, er, drag... :)

    And fyi - DO NOT start running after the bike. I know it may seem unnatural, and that your brain is programmed to swim-bike-run. But fight the urge! Tell the officials to hold you back... because very soon - one of these days you WILL run after you bike.

    And I can't wait to cheer for you when you do! Travel safe (I feel the same way about flying. Zanax never worked so good - especially bad one time when I saw a mechanic put DUCT TAPE on the wing. That was not cool. They should not be allowed to fix the plane when there are people on it in plane sight.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your cardboard box - nice touch! :) I think it's all part of the sandbagger approach. Instead of the bigm hairy ass... it's, "Oh look at the poor girl dragging around that cardboard box." Just don't let them see you take it to the Timex truck :) - it will totally blow your cover!

    Go rock your 57.2!
    :) Jess

    ReplyDelete
  6. GO get 'em at the spam race! HA! Have fun seriously, kick butt and Coach's too ;-) Make sure Wee takes the spam Pat is going to give her pre race. HAHA!

    You will do awesome, swim, bike your heart out!

    Love ya,
    E

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rach, safe travels to you!

    By the way...my most cool thing in the tri world is seeing rock stars like you using a junky old box! I remember the year Al-Sultan won IM he had just a junky box with a bunch of old t-shirts in it!

    I especially LOVE when people with junky boxes, bikes with bad components, no sponsors (or limited ones that just give you a free bar to shut you up for asking too many times for help) win and dominate over those that have everything!

    I hope you get discovered with that junky box and someone says, "lets support her" and you can race & train all your heart desires! You work that hard and deserve it!

    See you soon...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay - love the post, love the box even more. Your son is adorable and seems to be in to the same shtuff my triplets are. I am also writing you to tell you to reconsider the tri bloggers camp in Sarasota, FL. It is gonna kick ass! Heather Gollnick and Jen Harrison - she has to work family schedule first - plus many fun/top age groupers plan to whoop it up at IMG (world renown sports academy/agency). Anyways, Heather works with them and they are real excited about the idea of having her run a tri camp at their facility. they will cook all our meals - healthy, and can do any kind of crazy testing/VO2 you could ever imagine. At night when we ice our footsies they will hold seminars in which we can learn. Maybe you and the other Hawaii girls could pack yourself just one more time in that lovely bike box of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck, Rach! Promise no running! You'll be back out there running in no time... quicker if you let yourself heal.

    Have a great time and enjoy that flight -- I know we both have that 'ocean' thing going on - take something fun.

    Enjoy yourself and go set some swim/bike PRs!

    Shel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rachel.....

    During the past 3 years I have overcome a very crippling fear of flying. The fear is why I have turned down 3 Hawaii Spots. Now, I can't wait to run down the jetway. All I did..... was put myself on airplanes all alone..... allowed myself to get scared and crap my pants and now I LOVE IT!

    And I agree..... the racing is the icing on the cake! The best aprt of the deal!

    :-) mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Xanex rocks for flying. I will avoid trips of any kind to not fly. Sometimes the draw is just too compelling though and when it is, out comes the happy pills. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete