Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Mother of the Year

I hope when you grow up you have five kids and they're all as bad as you. -- my mom*

I only have three, but I'm working on the bad part.

I caught Sky packing today. Carrying around an old Coach clutch with a water gun inside. She carried it all day. I considered asking who she had it out for, but I'm afraid her answer would be you, bitch. I drew her a picture of dolphins and handed it to her. She studied it, then handed it back. Could you try again on the other side? At least she didn't reach for her purse.

There is talk of an intervention. Wyatt and his Wii. Wyatt's skin is getting pale and his eyes are turning red. Here is Wyatt in a rare outside moment. He used to be so full of life.. and then came Lego Indiana Jones. He appears to be looking over my shoulder. Probably for a TV or his Wii controller. 


I can't get Henry's name down. You would think in eight years I would have figured it out, but I can't stop calling him Tommy. Tommy is my youngest brother, the last of the five, and he turns 24 today. He was 15 when Henry was born and they were best friends his first two years of life when we lived in California. I yell Tommmmy! when trying to call Henry at least once a day. Tom is a grad student at UC Davis, where he is studying booze (vitaculture). I just realized I don't have a picture of him without Henry in it. Happy birthday Tom.


I am running and cycling again, but holding off on the swimming a bit longer. It's not perfect, but it's improving, and that's all I can ask for. The week of rest wasn't as hard as I expected it to be. My children kept me busy and laughing. But it left me itching to get moving again.

*I was the oldest, and only seven when the fifth baby was born. She had to say funny crap like this to survive. She was laughing when she said it.

10 comments:

  1. I always wondered what a boy version of you looked like! Your children stories are hilarious... bet there is never a dull moment in your life! Makes me excited for Kainoa to grow up!!
    Enjoy the run and bike... any duathlons in Hawaii?? ha ha bet if you never swam the rest of the season you have already swam this year more than all the years of your life!
    HOPE the swim comes back soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. my son (also named Henry) was playing "prison" today so I can relate to your daughter's walk on the dark side.
    Just wanted to let you know that I totally appreciated your post the other day about balancing work, training, and kids. I've been searching for another mom's blog who can show me it's all possible (if not easy), and now I've found it. The fact that you do it with 3 kids and Iron-training means that my work/marathon/1-kid life is doable. Ok, I'll shut up now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh...those blue eyes are to die for. He's gonna be quite the lady killer :)

    Glad your back to the running and biking...slow and steady please.

    My girls' last day of camp is Friday...so I'm shipping them your way - If some cute kids knock on your door on Saturday, you'll know where they cam from :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto on the blue eyes! And cheers to your Mom of the year status! YEAH! And to running!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could just put the Wii in the ocean and then tell him to play outside :)

    Kids have a hard time with limits on those things...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the laugh. I about peed my pants reading about Sky packin' heat. You're killin' me.

    My classic mom moment... sometimes I use the word friggin' in place of another choice F word in front of Emma.

    We're driving down the road yesterday and Emma says from the back seat, "What are all these friggin' cars doing everywhere?" Now, I'm not sure if I started snorting my iced soy latte out of my nose at that point or when Rog turns and looks at me with the "Where in the hell did she get that phrase?" look... which he already knew where.

    Hope she uses that one in front of her grandparents. When they die of heart attacks, maybe Rog will give me that same friggin' look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for making me spit water on my keyboard. Your daughter sounds like an absolute riot! You do such an awesome job balancing everything-gives me something to aspire to when I'm a mommy training for an IM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG-My mom said the same thing to me when I was a teenager!! ...and people ask when I'm going to have kids ?!?!

    Your stories are too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My youngest daughter is 20 now. She is new to triathlon and is doing her first oly on Sunday. We rode together yesterday. When we got home I took a look at her and saw that her pink mountain bike helmet was crooked on her head and still had the number 360 stuck to the front from the sprint she did two weeks ago. I laughed out loud. She looked embarassed for about one second when I told her what was so funny and then looked at me and said "you are so annoying"!...mothers and daughters....: }

    ReplyDelete
  10. KILLER eyes...wow...you are going to have to fight all the little girls away :) Funny on not being able to get the name right...I always call my kids the wrong name...I remember when my Dad use to call me one of my brothers name and I could not believe a parent could mix up their childs name...WELL, I am that PARENT ;)
    Glad to hear you are RUNNING!!!

    ReplyDelete