Wednesday, June 4, 2008

online learning.

My forced swim obsession has me watching Ian Thorpe videos on youtube. I think he is part dolphin. Watching it reminds me of the little things I need to be doing better. I have a swimmer friend who told me that watching Grant Hackett swim makes her cry. While my attitude about swimming is indeed improving, I don't think I'll ever get there. 

FIrst let's watch my mom and my youngest brother doing the chicken from Arrested Development. Sorry, Mom. That's what you get for not calling me back yesterday. This is more entertaining than swimming.



Now here's the Thorpedo, with a little Fort Minor.


I have read Daniel's Running Formula. I get track workouts, tempo, cruise intervals, and the stuff that makes you run faster. I didn't do them for my first marathon, and did for my second a few months later, and ran 8 min faster. You run hard, rest, get your breath back, and then do it again. You keep the rest interval shorter than the work interval. What I don't get is the send-offs.  Go swim until you think you're going to pass out from lack of air and your arms are going to fall off, then rest 8 or 11 seconds and go again. That is not rest. There is no recovering in 8 seconds. That is a pause just long enough to fill me with dread.  And to wonder if anyone would notice if I ducked in with the old people at water aerobics to wave styrofoam barbells around to Yakkity Yak.

No comments:

Post a Comment