Thursday, June 26, 2008

Kauai bound.


Tomorrow morning we will be here. Hanalei Bay, Kauai. My favorite island! When I was little we moved from Clearwater to Kauai. When Henry was two and Wyatt was four months old, we packed up the Berkeley digs and moved back. I worked here as the field technician for the Hanalei Watershed Hui. I walked the beach each morning taking water samples, floated in the river counting native fish, and was blown away by it's beauty every single day. My morning run started and ended here, at the pier:

Sky was named after the waterfall on the highest mountain in Hanalei, on the left below. She is Sky Namolokama. We're hoping she can say her middle name by seventh grade.

I am under Coach pressure to swim again. What better place to start than Hanalei Bay? The water is gorgeous, the view is incredible, and there is only one resident tiger shark. I'm bringing my pull buoy, time to dive back in!

When Sky was a baby and I returned to work, we had the best baby sitter ever. Jenna would sometimes tell me that she hoped she would love her own kids as much as she loved mine. Those days are getting closer.. we're heading over for her wedding. Jenna & Jeff are adorable. So adorable that one of the first things one of my best friends said to me when I met her was "are you the one with the really hot nanny? You must be really secure." I'm pretty sure she meant stupid. Sky will be a flower girl and the goofballs are ring bearers. I foresee disaster, but at least it will be better dressed disaster than usual..

17 comments:

  1. ahhhhhhh ... i am so ENVIOUS!! kauai is my MOST favorite place. EVER!

    eat some food at postcards for me ... and pet the sweet kitties that hang around on the porch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also SO jealous. We spent half our honeymoon in Kauai and we didn't want to leave. I'd move there in a heartbeat. Enjoy your swim!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEAUTIFUL PICS!! Have so much fun. I'm sure you will have tons of new/hilarious stories when you get back. So, how was the ride today? I was so annoyed being stuck in my meeting and you texting saying you were headed out to ride ;-) HA, it's all good....Chat later...
    E

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, I have only been to the big island and then Maui when we honeymooned. Beautiful! And, is there ANYTHING better than a good nanny/babysitter??? NO NO NO! Enjoy the wedding! Jen H.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have so much fun ALL weekend long! Totally enjoy it! Soak up the swim, all your old favorite memories, and the kids dressed nice...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't worry Rach...they will be protected by the cuteness factor :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i really want to visit there...i think we may just have to suck it up and do an inter island flight in october :). good babysitters really do become like family - and i think it is a really good thing for the kids to see her still in their lives. seriously, how cool is that?
    have fun and swim some for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm the resident Land Shark, no need to worry about me!!

    Stayed at the Princeville many times! love the view of "puff the magic dragon!!"

    Enjoy and cant wait to see some photos!

    Fins Up ~~~~~^~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you say TIGER shark? Yikes - couldn't quite get past that one... as I sit typing in my swimsuit with a shark on it. How appropriate!

    Beautiful pictures - have a blast!

    And remember - punch the shark in the face if you get attacked. Its supposed to work. :)

    No - just surround yourself with Sea Turtles and things will be all good. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds amazing!! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man....everytime I visit your blog I just want to jump in the damn picture!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoy the trip - it sounds like it will be amazing!! Great pictures...I must find a way to use my biochem PhD skills and find a job in Hawaii!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely amazing and beautiful!! Have a wonderful time and good luck with the swimming! You are right - no better place to start than right there in those pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have a GREAT time! I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so lucky to live near (and in) such a beautiful place. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. And I was just about to tell you about my adventure to Bear Lake today where I'm excited because the cool spring has kept all the lake weed from choking out the water... screw you.

    Go have fun girl! Can't wait to hear all about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Our favorite sushi place in Kauai is the Hanamaulu (sp?) Cafe. YUM! Enjoy the wedding, swimming, and whatnot in paradise. Glad to read your week off seems to be paying dividends. And BTW, with a wife that looks like you, who cares what the nanny looks like!

    ReplyDelete