Monday, June 23, 2008

In Spite Of

Gabe Jennings got me thinking. This article in Runner's World implies that what makes his life interesting takes away from his success as an athlete. The guy is wild. But a few of the things he said made me laugh out loud. And others I found pertinent, even wise.

Each moment of my day either directly or indirectly contributes to my training.

There are days where I rush from training to work to an evening spent juggling so many activities that I hardly have a moment to think. There are days when I work until midnight and have to be up at 4 to get the run in before I am back on mom duty. Sometimes it's implied that I have distractions. Friends wonder how I train for Ironman in spite of my family and my work. Shouldn't it really be in addition to? Or because of? I adapt. Sometimes the schedule changes mid-day when someone gets sent home from school sick. A ride goes from road to trainer, or a run is moved to another day. There will always be a surprise or two in an Ironman. Adapting on race day is the difference between a great day and a sucky one. I practice adapting.

Sometimes I have to be on my feet when I should be off of them. I play Uno while icing my legs. I am not distracted. I am busy, but it is balancing. The time spent watching my kids learn and enjoy sports reminds me to just have fun out there. The fullness of my life provides a bigger picture. A great outcome at a race is nice, but my kids won't love me any less if I come in last. My family, my job, my friends, and all of the juggling remind me how fortunate I am to be able to train and compete, in addition to everything else in my life. Because of the frantic pace of some days I appreciate the easy pace of a long ocean swim. Because of the noise when there are 6 kids in my living room (most days of the week lately) I love the quiet of my hard ride. 

I don't think it's safe to say this is the life of the age grouper. It can't be that easily divided. There are pros with young children and full-time jobs who make my life look like a holiday. There are age groupers with trust funds and no obligations. (Did that sound bitter?)  But the majority of us are juggling. I am an amateur with a job and three small kids. My husband works 60 hours a week in attempt to make ends meet. I live the life of the juggling athlete. But everything I do contributes.

Jennings is running the 1500 at the Olympic Trials. Many of us are training for late summer and fall Ironman races. All of us will work our asses of with the end goal of a performance we're proud of. And all of us jugglers will be alright if a race goes sour, even Jennings, because we've got all of our distractions.

I refuse to buy the notion that my various interests detract from my running. -Gabe Jennings

20 comments:

  1. You are my role model as I get ready to enter "parenthood."

    I read the same article in Runners World and was torn between thinking Gabe Jennings was a little nuts to thinking he has it all figured out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting post Rachel! I always catch myself thinking "I wish I didn't have to work so I could have the time to do everything right - training, proper recovery, more than 7 hrs sleep/night, etc..." but then again I think I would drive myself crazy if I didn't have work as another, different outlet. Triathlon 100% of the time? I'm not sure how the pros do it!! (although, like you said, many pros do work and have families, etc...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post! I like your thinking behind adapting. During Ironman (or any race) things come up or happen and we have to throw our race plans out the window and think on our feet. Just like juggling kids, work, training..as parents its our lives to adapt to sick kids, changing schedules, etc and I think we are better athletes BECAUSE of it. Rock on Momma!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You post made me smile and just want to hug my kids! Thanks for making my day. It's too easy for everyone to get caught up in the moment and forget just to be..."present" and live for each moment as it unfolds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your article was an eye-opener. I thought people on Oahu were really laid back and lived in million dollar homes just cruising through life and having all the material gadgets they ever wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel, I really enjoy your blog....it's kinda like a an endurance athlete's perspective ala-Carrie Bradshaw....witty, tongue-in-cheek....and always humbling......Which is what I love the most...You rock girl...keep up the great writing....and Rest that annoying IT band (easier said than done!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rach...you rock. As long as you keep you positive perspective - It will be ALL GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read that article, too, what a crazy character that Gabe Jennings is! Great post also, you are fully correct about having to adapt and adjust the training around life, because life ultimately comes first.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband retired from the marines last year and actually took the summer off solely to train for the Louisville Ironman. It was his worst race ever! He put so much into that training; that's when he realized that although it was nice to train, eat and sleep; he too missed his 'distractions'.

    ReplyDelete
  10. SPOT ON MY STARBUCKS SISTER! What makes life so fun is that we DO. I always say I never want to arrive at the gates of heaven in a pretty white dress. I want to slide in by my rear wheel, bloody and bruised, my body worn from a life well lived and I shall scream "YEAH! WHAT A RIDE!!!!" (provided I actually do make it to the gates..... THANK YOU FOR THIS POST!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! Those things that add to your day--time with your kids, husband work, while they may not be "ideal" for your training, they are part of what makes you who you are and a well rounded person. Doing triathlon 24-7 and being only a triathlete really does not sound all that appealing. Being a mom, having a career, being an athlete and an inspiration to so many people, that is much better.

    I hope your ITB is doing okay and happy to be resting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO, SO TRUE RR! Everything contributes and counts. Coach P always tells me how my time at Oracle helps me be strong. I guess everything helps us. You are doing an amazing job of juggling it all. This is our life and we must embrace and enjoy every second of it! You are so strong!!

    Love ya,
    E

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this thoughtful post, Rachel! :) Sometimes it does seem like doing so many different things makes us only mediocre at each thing (a la "jack of all trades, master of none..."), but I disagree. Balance in life is so healthy, and teaches us to value all these different parts because they are what make us who we are. Especially regarding family - can't live without them!!!! Love it! Plus, this sort of thinking allows me to still be silly/goofy and have fun sometimes when I should be studying or training hard... :)

    P.S. The dress from my blog pic is from Anthropologie (www.anthropologie.com) - they're clothing is AMAAAAAZING...check it out!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You hang in there RR! I KNOW you will do it - you are incredible! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting (and long) article. I'm not at all surprised to hear a guy of that character is hanging out in Eugene, I bet he fits in perfectly there--it's a trippy place.

    I admire people who have a singled-minded pursuit but I wouldn't want to be that possessed with one thing. To me, it sounds tortured.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rach -- You make me rethink my outlook on training and life all of the time. Thank you for putting things in to perspective for me!

    By the way -- you have been tagged! Just go to my blog and if you would be so kind as to answer the 5 questions listed there....

    Thanks!
    Shelleena

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think a lot of people think that I sacrafice my motherhood for training. It's like you can't be a good mom and an athlete around here! But I don't worry about it, because I know that I'm a good mother and what I am doing for myself is also helping them, and that's all that matters! Love the post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. great post!!
    You do a lot and you just make it all work. Also, you look like you are enjoying life and although stressful at times, I'm sure you wouldn't change it.
    I like to tell people that we all have free time it is just how we choose to spend it. Karel and I like to travel to races, train long hours or just watch tv in the evening. Everyone has a hobby or a passion but for a lot of us, it is triathlons.
    hope your leg is getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! I friggin' love this post, Rach. I mean, LOVE it. I felt like I was reading about my life on a good day when I have a great attitude and good perspective about everything. I will be rereading this...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for this mature and encouraging post. I recently completed my first IM after 7 months of training while deployed to Iraq and 3 more upon my return home. There were quite a few late night/early morning training rides followed by long runs on just a few hours sleep. All the while I felt that same way: It's not in spite of my family...it was in addition to, because of, and in many ways for them. I have been encouraging my wife to go for an IM soon knowing deep down that the same characteristics that make her an incredible mother of three young ones (3, 2, & 9 months) will make her an amazing Triathlete. I must say that I love the tri scene for women because of the great balancing act that goes on behind the scenes. You wife/athlete/moms don't "opt out" of your many roles...you embrace them, learn from them, and thrive in them. Keep it and keep your ITBs happy. Aaron

    ReplyDelete