Sunday, June 8, 2008

sunday is killer ride day..

It's been a long time since I've been on one of those rides, the ones where I know I'm out of my league the instant I arrive and the sole goal becomes survival. HR, watts, coach's instructions - all totally out the window, because holy crap, I'm in trouble.

I showed up at 6:30 this morning to find that I was the only girl, riding with 8 of the island's fastest roadies. Uh-oh. The triathletes were all at a little sprint that someone wouldn't let me do because of the band that must not be named.  I was told that it was circle-island day, starting with a climb over the Pali Highway. I almost hid in the bushes. I haven't ridden around Oahu since last fall, and that ended in a little broken helmet and swollen brain event. But I thought of Liz saying saying it's time to put on the big girl underpants, so I didn't hide. They started easy and the Pali climb was mellow, so I made small talk with some of the local cycling gods. This is the view coming out of the Pali tunnels.. not that I had time to look:

We rolled through Kaneohe town, and then two guys that I've only heard of got up front and it was on. For the next 75 min we blew through the windward coast and around the north point of the island holding 25 - 33 mph. I asked where the finish line was, but I don't think anyone had enough breath to answer. According to my PT, some of that time was spent in Zone 6. Is that like the twilight zone? It was a one-stop ride, and I have never ever in my life been so happy to see Pupukea's nasty beach bathrooms. Ten minutes of rest! Then on to the Pineapple Hills. It was a gorgeous day on the North Shore, Waimea Bay looked like a lake and no doubt the spinner dolphins were playing.. not that I had time to look. Or even eat. It's hard to even drink when you're hanging on for dear life. I was sad to leave country, but even sadder to be heading into 5 miles of climbing.


pretty Waimea

We lost our first on the way up Pineapple. Shortly thereafter I noticed I was a little bouncy, and sure enough I was losing air in the rear tire. While looking down to assess my tire's health I was dropped. I don't know my way home unless I'm on the freeway, so I have never been so happy to see a red light in my life. We refilled my tire and were off again. Along the way there were a few more casualties, and 88 miles and a little over 4 hours later, five of us rolled back through downtown Honolulu.

I haven't ridden like that in ages.. since pre-injury. I forgot how fun it was to get in there and just hold onnnnn! It was the perfect distraction from the little sprint I couldn't do.

This is a picture of unconditional love. I arrived home covered in salt. The cat kept trying to lick my legs. Wyatt called me disgusting. I had stopped smelling me hours ago, but no doubt I was not exactly a joy to be near. Sky helped me stretch anyway.

23 comments:

  1. way to go rachel ross...... you my dear rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. way to hang in there! Sounds like a great Sunday--especially that unconditional love. My kids rush to greet me after I get home, and promptly turn around saying "ewww, you stink!"
    ko

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! That's a longggggg time to be holding on!! Great ride Rachel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. SUPER ride momma!

    AND you KNOW you loved it... who doesn't love a good ride with great fast guys?!?

    What doesn't kill ya only makes you stronger & you pretty much don't look dead with that smile on!!

    AND you know you would have won the sprint anyways so much better to actually RACE... and 4 hrs of it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to hang on there, lady! And, the fact that you get to bust your butt while surrounded by Hawaiian beauty is almost too much for me to handle....but it's okay, I'm happy for you (really) and pleased to hear that you were able to get some kick-butt, pain-free (somewhat ;) training in. Even though it was 47 degrees and RAINING here yesterday! Isn't it June?

    :)
    Phaedra.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zone 6! :) LOVE IT! Next time I reach my max on the bike and then surpass it - I'll be sure to think of you. That is, if I don't pass out first. :) Way to GO!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great ride! Way to REPRESENT and show the boys how it's done :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i got the 'ew, you stink' comment too today...
    very solid ride - boys can really serve their purpose at times ;) - you are truly smokin' fast on that bike(i really hope your saddle was comfortable for that kind of ride).

    i need to look for my zone 6, i'm pretty sure i lost it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow. that is a big girl ride for sure!
    i couldn't even ride that fast for 5 miles...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I soooo want to ride with all these girls leaving comments!

    I used to ride east side of Oahu. So beautiful simply amazing however I will never ride it again. Almost got killed in Kaneohe once and scared the crap outta of me. So I will only ride from town out towards Kailua and back!!

    Glad you made it safely back to hawaii kai.

    P-

    ReplyDelete
  11. awe.. I REALLY REALLY REALLY wish I could come and ride there. It looks soooo nice. Of course I couldn't really ride with you unless you were willing to double back all day. LOL...
    Glad to hear you are recovered and back in the SCHWING!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I fear the twilight zone;) What a ride, you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was laughing at the "twilight zone" comment. I always wondered what that was when I was trying, for my dear life, to hold on when I am the only girl sometimes too. I like that one: Twilight zone.
    GOOD job on your ride! :) Jen H.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How lucky were those boys to have you riding with them?! =)

    Nice riding today! Way to hang tough there sexy Momma!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow-Awesome ride!!

    Way to maximize the "Big Girl Underpants"

    ReplyDelete
  16. Before I ride with the girls do I need to buy "big girl underpants?" LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have to ask. There isn't really a zone 6, is there? It was so much easier just being a swimmer. The coach tells you what to do, the manager writes down your splits and hr readings, and then you repeat it all in another 10 hours. No brain necessary.
    I love Skye's little skirts. She looks like a little Tinkerbell. Your ride looks beautiful, too. I would have crashed trying to look for dolphins.
    -Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  18. Danielle - I think something's wrong with my trainingpeaks.com - honestly I didn't even notice before, but now there are these tiny zones just over my Z5 level that are written in as 6, 7 & 8. No idea why, but probably a glitch. I really hope there's no 6. And I sure as hell don't ever want to see 8. In "zone 6" my HR was 184. Z8 might be dead.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That sounds awesome!! I want to go on a group ride so bad I can taste it! Hopefully this week sometime. And I feel you on the summer thing. I've just started this personal training thing and start some class sessions this week and already am in search of a babysitter!! Ugh... love summer, even with the kids, HATE having to shuffle everything! :) Best of luck to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. YEAH! WAY to GO FAST with those dudes RACH! Such a stud! That is so cool. You look so cute stretching with your little cutie Sky! Awww....

    E

    ReplyDelete
  21. Way to hang with the boys. And what a gorgeous ride. Maybe I'll watch our honeymoon tape of our helicopter trip in Hawaii on the trainer some time for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow!!! sounds like a hammer session ;-) At least the view rocks! Not that you see anything but blur at that speed. Way to hang and show the boys...
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  23. i want a little girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete