Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Up and running.

4.3 miles today! Coach prescribed a 30 minute ladder workout. Jaco, PT extraordinaire, prescribed 20 minutes of running. So what's the problem? Well, the ladder workout was to be done in the pool. No aquabelt, shoes on. Fake running. In typical efficient mother mode, I decided to compromise and hit the tready. Schools out for summer, so I am paying by the hour for any precious workout time. I hate treadmills with a passion.. but it was noon and I avoid the midday sun whenever possible for fear of looking like a catcher's mitt before my time.

I gave it a little incline, jogged a while, and then fired that torture device up to 10 mph for the intervals and smiled the whole way through because it didn't hurt. The circuit class ladies doing their Curves thing stared at the crazy girl grinning away as the sweat flew.. but I was so happy to be running, and running hard, and not hurting that I couldn't help myself. I shortened the stride a little, kept the turnover high just like Jaco said, and it didn't hurt. I tried out some brand new Saucony Tangents, shoes that have carried me through many marathons without injury (or socks) and love them. This injury stuff is expensive: new shoes, superfeet, ART, MRI, xrays, copays, peanut butter m&ms, cortisone, master's fees, goggles.. But the pain-free run, well you know, priceless.

October is only four months away. This is the first real moment of optimism I've felt in a while about my IT band and the potential for a return to training. Patience continues to be a challenge every day, and I won't get back on the tready tomorrow... but did I mention that it didn't hurt? :)

16 comments:

  1. Oh, happy day! So happy for you. My ITB issues were at bay for a while, but are starting to feel "twingy" again. Not outright pain...but not pain free. After today's run I did what I needed to do: rolled around on the foam roller joy of joys, then sat in an ice bath. This weekend will be the big test--big brick sat, long 8-10 mi run sun. If I'm pain free monday I figure I'm back. I hope you are too! Does this mean no Vancouver for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yippee!! glad you're back on 'track'.
    BTW, might have to get one of those splish suits... might make in into a 2 piece though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so, so, so happy for you!! You, Bree and Elizabeth - all feeling better and getting back to normal! Yeah for health! And 4 months is like an eternity - PLENTY of time to get that run of yours better than ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice @$$!!!

    LOVE that tready...
    So happy you are running...I am SCARED!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Bree....

    Butt I'm not scared!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yay! so happy you are running and IT DOESN'T HURT! it's so funny when you tell people and you're like, "i swear it doesn't hurt" because you think they think you are lying because you are a crazy athlete. anyhow. awesome. water jogging gets old fast. i remember my first 20 minute jog on the tready at the PTs after my broke femur- she went to talk to another client and i turned that thing UP! but, it didn't hurt!
    YAY! so happy for you. 4 months is just around the corner, but also gives you PLENTY of time to kick ass.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There were words on this post? I just saw the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm feeling giddy reading this!! woohooo....I think it must have been that "proper race recovery" ;)

    I am really, really excited for you. That is just plain bitchen.

    My boys are out of school too & my husband is out of town. I opted to skip the babysitter and hit the trainer for 2 hours....not to mention it was 60 degrees and raining outside. I miss Hawaii.

    Congrats on the pain-free run!
    Phaedra.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh boy.. you are a salt lick in that picture.. nice to not be in pain while running... Awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, Rachel, congrats on working on getting healthy....it will be worth it at Kona. We're following your progress here in Colorado...i'm a mom of jack (6), joe (5) and kendall (3), juggling work, training and sanity. I have to put Kansas 70.3 on hold as knee and foot tendinitis are maxed out now. You have a room to stay here near Boulder if you ever need. We moved out from Chicago two years ago and love the bike rides, run trails and Boulder Happy Hours.
    Take care of yourself and try to laugh more than you train....Taryn Murtagh, CO

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY RACH! So happy that you are getting better! Nice pic....cute bootie, I agree with Wee ;-) Hahaha!

    XO,
    E

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, I am glad you are back feeling good...nothing better then that 1st run back :) Now that you have the go ahead GO GO GO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. HHHOOOOORRRRRAAAAAAAYYYY! I wish you could see my grin. It would power a small electrical plant. EXCELLENT!

    ReplyDelete