Sunday, June 22, 2008

Next time I whine, send me here.


This is what happens when I take a weekend off. I wake up grumpy and note that I am fatter today than I was yesterday. My husband and our friend Scott head out for a long run.. how nice for them. I break the dryer somehow, and do lots of dishes. I step on a gecko - barefoot. And then, instead of longing for Waimea Bay as I ride by, we pack up the wagon and head for the country. It is this kind of day:

The dolphins are close when we arrive. I break the vow not to swim, because how can I not? Sky climbs on my back and off we go to the middle of the bay. We're in forty feet of clear water and the dolphin chatter is incredibly loud.. and then they're all around us. Sky lets go completely and swims a few feet away. And we just hover below the surface. I thought she would be scared and cling, but my little four year-old in her string bikini just floats with me, all pink goggles, yellow hair and giant grins. She pops up for a breath, yells that she sees dolphins! and is under again, spinning around watching. Ramsey swims out and for five or ten minutes 30 dolphins whirl around us, jumping up and spinning so close they splash us when they land. We stay out until our fingernails turn blue and Sky's tongue gets all wrinkly. Then we hold hands and swim supergirl - airplane back in (it seems breast stroke has a new name at swim lessons). I need an underwater camera, the image of her suspended a few feet below the surface with dolphins all around her will be one of my favorites (in my head) forever.

Lest you think I play favorites, I can assure you I begged those boys to come out with me. But they have discovered sharks, and refused. I should probably stop taping their eyelids open and making them watch Jaws when they're bad (I kid.) Wyatt had the quote of the day when he called Sky buttercup in attempt to insult her. Ramsey told him a buttercup was a pretty yellow flower. Oh, he says.. Well then, I meant like a cup of butter. 

We follow Waimea with a BBQ at our friend Todd's where the boys play checkers while we eat malasadas and Sky squirrels away mangoes in the front yard. Eileen updates me constantly on Bree's progress in Japan - speaking of dolphins, a 52 minute swim!? Bree went 9:37 and placed second in her second Ironman today.. she is so talented. 

13 comments:

  1. Great Post! Dolphins are truly amazing aren't they? I can just imagine the smiles on the kids faces:)

    Bree's swim was amazing! She's a dolphin now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's safe to say these pics beat pics of the asphalt jungle any day....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an awesome day! Glad you are cherishing these family moments. As much as we joke (well sometimes it's a joke - sometimes I'm deadly serious) about babysitters, life wouldn't be the same without the litlle monsters - I mean angels :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man it's hard to complain about much when you live where you do! Life is good huh? Cool story about the dolphins and Sky.

    Bree totally killed that swim too! 52 is insanely fast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to cherish and see the best things lin life! YOU INSPIRE ME! (And you inspire me to wnt to move to hawaii!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great day, and a special treat that you shared w/ Sky. I'm sure she'll remember truly swimming w/ dolphins for the rest of her life. I'm jealous about the mangos, fresh off the tree! Ours are $2 each!

    Way to go Bree--she killed that swim!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds absolutely amazing and enchanting! Sky will always remember that I bet...as will you I'm sure! Glad you were able to have such a great day, injuries aside!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW..what a fun day for you and the kids!! I bet it was nice just to get out there and clear your mind and just enjoy your surroundings :) Sky is too cute and I can tell full of Miss personality :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. RR- sounds like a great swim. It's sweet how connected you are to your daughter and that she inspires you, I know you will inspire her too. Take care of yourself and try to enjoy the rest. Any little weight you gain will be gone in a week or two once you start training again so don't sweat the small stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds so amazing! I've never swam with Dolphins before and THAT is the way I'd want to do it! Sky sounds so cute and a lot like her adventerous mother!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG RACH! I am so jealous. I so wish I was there.....Sky is one lucky little girl! And you are too ;-) That picture of "the rock" at Waimea Bay makes so many memories come back to me. I used to jump off that rock and swim through the cave under the rock with my brothers when we were little. My parents took us to Oahu several times a year. I LOVE IT there. But I never saw any dolphins. I was about to hide in my parents suitcase today as they are on their way to Waikiki and will for sure hang out at Waimea Bay in the next couple of days!

    Come get me.....

    XO,
    E

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would like to be adopted if Sky wouldn't mind having a sister that is older than her mom. Not much in the water here besides pollen. Sounds like a wonderfully amazing swim--
    -Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds like the most magical day ever. I am SO envious! Swimming with dolphins and eating mangos right off the tree... Willa and I would be over the moon for weeks.

    ReplyDelete