Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Doing my part for the economy.

Out with the old

and in with the new.

While some of those look like repeats, really they're just replacements of the same make/model. I have become obsessive about my shoes since the injury. I had never thought about shoes much. The DS trainers from three years ago, on the top left of the old picture, probably have 1500 miles on them and were still in the weekly rotation. I know, much too old to be good for me, but I was attached. If you look closely you might see the duct tape holding a post-home-surgery pair together. I used to run in nothing but lightweight flats. Then in Dec/Jan I tried some shoes with a whole bunch of features, motion control, cushion or stability or something - mostly they were just big and heavy.. and my running days were over. What can I say, they were cheap! Lesson learned.. I found a secret stash of the old silver saucony fastwitch at the Running Room and almost kissed the salesgirl. I have run many a long run/marathon in those light little things without problem (or socks - Mel, you might want to try them!) and I love them. So the new and improved rotation goes: fastwitch tangent otherfastwitch zoot, repeat. And I have a big old bag for the Niketown shoe recycling project.

And the same theory that I'm applying to my shoes is also being applied to my attitude. Grumpy time is over. I ran well today, without pain. I am a simple girl - good run = good  mood. Plus Bree gave me a serious talking to, so I'm never whining around her again! And ELF suggested some great new sports.. if this whole IT band thing doesn't work out my new goal might just have to be putt-putt world champion. Or Queen, whatever they call it in putt-putt.

Also, I realize that my deck needs painting. Tell Mr. Likeamother. But he can't do it tonight, I've recruited him for my trainer workout because I need company to make it through! Ten four-minute threshold intervals are not something I can space out and watch old Arrested Developments through, I'm going to have to pay attention. Keeping my head in my ride has been a challenge for me in long races (ooh look, a cactus!) so tonight will be good practice.. no slacking off when the power tap is recording away keeping me honest.

17 comments:

  1. Oh man, the shoes! Looks exactly like a photo I snapped of my shoes, but I have done nothing with them. I usually take them to the homeless guys next to the pier... you have me motivated to give em' up (it's so hard for me!)

    That trainer ride sounds so brutal, I have yet to do that one... hope it goes well, have fun, focus!

    Oh, seriously, Kona crew is stoked you are doing better! Bruce (paddler man) and I were talking about you in the gym... we want you back on top at Kona...! Yep, Big Island will continue to chew you out until you are representing Hawaii like you know how! (only because we believe in you!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are running without pain!

    I have a terrible time giving up my old running shoes but once a year make myself donate a big bag of them to Fleet Feet. But I can't part with the Saucony's I ran my first marathon in 8 years ago. I don't run in them anymore but wear them before and after race because I think they are lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Duct tape... I love duct tape!

    Holy running shoes Batman!
    Here's a tip, maybe you already do this:
    Fresh from the box and right before the FIRST run in them, I mark the side of the sole with a Sharpe Marker, THE DATE. Gives you a good sense of how old they are.
    Glad you had a pain-free run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea for running! I thought of you when I was running today! Hooray!

    And yes, I too am easily distracted on the trainer. It's one thing to zone out for a few hours in zone 2 or something... but high threshold work? Yikes! The i-pod is the only way I get GO GO GO!

    Go get 'em RR!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...I thought I had a lot of running shoes! I'm showing this picture to my husband to show him...it could be worse! :)

    GREAT to hear your run went well today. It's very difficult to keep a positive attitude when you are going through the ups and downs of an injury...but I'm convinced the more positive you can be, the better off in the long run.

    In the mean time, can't wait to hear how you NAILED that trainer workout!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we could all go around our house and rummage up these old things! I did a similar thing once in buying children's shoes. I have small feet and do it often because they're a lot cheaper, but when I bought kids running shoes... I certainly learned that they don't put in NEAR amount of support in those things for me! One cortizone shot later... and I'll never buy kids shoes to run in again! And I had to laugh about the arrested development too! My husband is bugging me to get off of my laptop as we speak so that he can watch one!! I'm so glad to hear that you're running again! You'll be back in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What's a trainer workout? A stationary bike?
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy you had a pain free run and are taking it one day (step!) at a time...one good run is a bunch of steps in the right direction...

    zoning out on the bike...TOTALLY get you here, but more so outside for me. i should not be allowed out the door on my bike alone (super scenery-gazer-lollygagging fest!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too kissed the girl at Running Room, was her name Malory? She's so cool. Tell her I said hello..and kiss her again for me!!

    Bree gave you a "serious talking"? Did it last over 2 minutes?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great to hear you had a pain-free run, Rach! I was starting to feel depressed FOR you. I'm crossing my fingers.....could this be it?

    Enjoy the trainer-
    Phaedra.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A trainer ride in June. In a strange way being from Chicago on the trainer for 7 mos. a year and now riding outside in the high 80's...I feel like saying "victory is mine."

    Trainer ride...ha ha ha.

    Thought of another one today while running - lawn darts. If Coach P keeps making me run in Zone 1 I'll have a boatload of sport ideas for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. nice shoe pic! do you like the zoot ones? you really need to stick to what kind of shoes work best for you...i was convinced that i needed more support for some reason and switched to a more stable, cushioned shoe from a very light, flexible trainer and it ended up causing me nothing but problems. i discovered that i don't need all of that extra crap in my shoes, my feet do best 'naked'.
    glad you got a pain free run in:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. OK I see like 3 mixes in there...which ones do you like?? I am usually a asics girl..but am willing to try something new!! I like light racing flats for everything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kerrie, Mel, I love the zoots. I use them for short stuff in training (to make sure no blisters etc) and then all distances racing.

    But for everyday training I am all about the Saucony fastwitch and tangent. Both are lightweight, and the fastwitch comes in neutral or with a little stability (I go neutral). Mel, no blisters! Try them out, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cool pics! You've inspired me to do the same and evaluate my shoe collection. I totally agree on the light weight shoe theory and any run is a good run (kinda like any day above ground is a good day)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love those shoes, looks like we have some similar tastes!

    ReplyDelete