Friday, June 13, 2008

Hey that's my bike.

Neglected Clem.

I'm trying something different this week: the stolen bike. I have never had a road bike. Jaco's old road bike is now Ramsey's road bike. While he was at work today I changed out the saddle, put my powertap on, and now it is mine-all-mine. I didn't pee on it to truly claim it.. yet. I thought about stealing his cleats because they're nice and new looking, but that was taking it too far. There is only so much a tri-spouse can take. 

I am a one-bike kind of girl. I rode a road bike once, in the Dick Evans road race around Oahu. It did not end well. While I know that I got up after the crash in Kaneohe (85 mi in) and rode all the way to Waimanalo, I don't remember Dump Road. The rear derailleurerereuur clunked off as I started up Olomana, just a little off the back of the lead pack, and it was over.. I took off my helmet, wondered how I'd gotten to Waimanalo, and watched the helmet fall apart into pieces. So far it's road bike 1, me 0. I'm taking my return to training slow, just to be on the safe side, even though I'm feeling optimistic that the worst is behind me now. A few easy rides while I focus on getting my run back will be spent playing on the road bike.

I went out for a 90 min spin this evening around Makapuu. The bike was funky. Apparently it's an automatic. If I get into too easy a gear while in my big ring, it just goes to my little ring for me. (Coach, are you in there?? I swear I didn't hit zone 2) I tried to fall into my aero bars three separate times. This view will take some getting used to. No comments on the watts please, I can't pedal and take a picture.

Just 30 minutes from my house in the burbs is a bit of country. I love this road. It was overcast this evening, but the road was empty, just me, the chickens and one suicidal peacock that almost took out the stolen bike.


No wonder all those roadies ride them, the stolen bike is fun. When I stand up on a hill it just vrooms right on up.  My legs are out in front of me instead of underneath me.. it's all very different. Can't wait to take it on this Sunday's killer ride! Don't tell Clementine.

13 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I am a one bike girl too.... maybe I will steal my husbands just in honor of YOU!

    :-) mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha. It's good to mix it up now and then. I'm also a one bike girl. But I love my road bike! Any time I'm on another bike, I feel like the Princess and the Pea. Having a rough time making the transition to a tri bike this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If your hubby ever wants his bike back, I have a road bike you can borrow. I have way too many bikes for a gal who doesn't like to ride.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had legs that would let me steal my hubby's bike and do anything other than ensure my sterility... beeeeatch! ;) Fun to go out and try something new!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to get back on the horse, I mean bike! Super fun stuff... and I totally remember you in Dick Evans on the side of the road! All busted up! I had a bike mechanical when I was dropped from the pack trying to put a skewer back on, then I found you and thought of joining you on the side of the road since I was alone...

    HOPE your adventures in road biking are WAY better this season... Call Trek to give you one... tell them you can post high watts while taking photos! ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY and thanks for the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos! You and I sound the same when it comes to the road bikes. And my most serious crash? On a road bike. Like you said Road bikes :2; RR and MCL: 0. Hang in there - and keep on keepin on. You'll get it back before you know it! And for the record: the fact that you WANT to race makes all the difference in the world. Before soon, you'll be BETtER than ever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too funny! All week I have been on my new road. I got home from Vancouver and there it was. Pretty, new and ready to ride. My quads have been screwed up b/c of that bike - I wanted to be aero all week but NO...I was trying to CHILL out too this week and not be so aggressive...but I love my new road bike. It shifts like butter and is fast. And, for whatever reason, it came with racing wheels, so it is FAST!! :) Enjoy your road bike. Jen H. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I mean, my new road BIKE. Heelllo...Jen h.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your bike is going to be SO jealous! It's like that song...If you can't be with the one (bike) you love, love the one your with :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope that bike helps with your ITB. (If I borrowed Andrew's bike, I wouldn't be able to reach teh pedals!) Your ride looks beautiful. I would like to see a peacock some day on a ride!
    -Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sold my road bike for zipp wheels, and I do miss it! It wasn't the best road bike, but you're right, it's different and fun! I'm glad you're feeling better and taking it slow! You'll be back in no time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOOOHHHH I love the look of that bike...rough and tough...have fun on your killer ride :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to wonder how people ended up with 6 or 7 bikes, but now I'm up to 4 (TT, road, cross, cruiser). I love each and every one of them for what they are. Each has a specific use and benefit. There's nothing better for group rides than a road bike even if it's not as fast at the TT.

    ReplyDelete