Thursday, May 1, 2008

The Joy of Swimming

Arizona 08, peeking at the watch, chanting 
I will not cry if it's over an hour. 
I will not cry if it's over an hour.. (and looking like I have four arms)

There are two kinds of swimmers: those who swam as kids, and those who didn't. And few people who didn't seem to make the jump to the amazing times of those that did. My husband falls into the did camp. He can train for two weeks, jump into a 2.4 mile race and swim sub-50. There are special words for people like him that I won't use here.

I am a non-swimmer. For the first two years of triathlon, I didn't bother. I kind of liked being last out and playing catch up. I joined a masters group my third year and swam twice a week. This is my fourth year and thus probably time I learn to swim.

I asked local swimstar Flanagan what I needed to do to get under the hour mark, which would mean 5-9 minutes off my previous IM swim times. This was around the time when he was training for the open water Olympic trials and I could only talk to him in 5-10 sec blurbs in between the intervals he did all day long. He told me to get in the water a minimum of four times a week. I told him that would ruin my hair. But I listened.. swimming twice as much as I ever had before.. and totally ruined my hair.  I learned how to do flip turns without knocking myself out. And like smartypants Paulo likes to preach, sometimes more is indeed more. In those 4 months of swimming, my 100 meter time fell from 1:31 to 1:16. Wipe the tears of laughter from your eyes, swimmer people, I know that isn't anywhere near fast. But in Arizona, with the help of my Blue Seventy Helix Cheater Suit, I rolled in at 58:43.  And yes, I swam around all the buoys. I think I smiled through the entire first loop of the bike. The majority of the texts and emails received at the end of that day were of the "When the hell did you learn to swim?" variety.

Next goal: Sub-hour at Kona without the help of the Cheater Suit. And five days a week.

You might notice that I didn't actually mention any Joy in The Swimming in my little swim success story. So here's what I've got: I saw a shark in a swim race last winter, so that was cool. Oh and once I found $5 in the ocean. And that's about it for nice things I can say about swimming. There are so many better things to do in the ocean.. like the paddling I did for ten years. Here's some cross training I did in March. (See the ruined hair? And the smiling? Do you ever see people swimming and smiling?)

(Thanks Joss & Title Nine)

13 comments:

  1. So there is hope for us non-swimmers! Thanks for your success story - people like me really need to hear that there can be a light at the end of the swimming tunnel... :) Congrats on all your swimming improvements!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read a great article on the Hawaii Channel swimmers on the plane to Kona yesterday. And I was going to blog about swimming today, but I think I'll take a nap instead ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a great photo of you on the board. I was thinking to myself "wow that photo belongs in a Title9 catalogue" ... then I noticed the caption!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to hear that you were not one of those people who swam as a kid. I hate those people ;)

    Until 3 years ago, my idea of 'swimming' was going from dock to dock at the lake. It's been a lot of work... still workin' hard... and no, I still feel like flip turning might suffocate me during a sprint interval. At least I'm not 'submarining' off the wall now. So much to learn. Your story gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you smile when you saw the shark? Is it really true that they will let go of the chomp they have on your legs if you hit them between the eyes????

    :-) mary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmm.... SAME story! But a 1:16 meters??? That is awesome, only 2x in OZ did I do that, the other 100 trys Coach yelled that I should be faster! I agree... the ocean is for surfing, paddling, canoes, boats, snorkel, dolphin wars... I love the water but I am swim challenged too!
    LOVE the title9 photo! SO cool! AND yeah, Jim is the same way... he never swims but when he does he kills me with sub 1min. 100's!

    ReplyDelete
  7. RR! Glad to have found your blog (via ELF). I have a photo of us from the podium at Clearwater. Email me and I'll send to you... amykloner@yahoo.com. Congratulations on a great start to your year. Hang tight- you'll be back in the game shortly. Your blog is hilarious, BTW. Take care-Amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. RR,
    Ok, now you are not allowed to talk about your "inability" to swim anymore since you broke 1 hour at the IM swim! Hee hee....great job! Ok, fun pic of you in Title 9. FUN!!! :) Jen H.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there! Great photo - I too thought what CY did about the Title 9 catalogue, and then saw the caption. Beautiful! AND I agree with JH, now that you go sub 1:00 in an IM - you are officially a swimmer. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. May I please have your abs? Awesome times in the water!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rachel, every sporty woman dreams of having a photo of their fabulous abs in Title 9. LUCKY! Try to keep your chin up through your injury.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In Kona I was smiling ear to ear when I saw the spinner dolphins going back and forth underneath me! WOO HOO!!!! That was cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. In Kona I was smiling ear to ear when I saw the spinner dolphins going back and forth underneath me! WOO HOO!!!! That was cool!!!

    ReplyDelete