Thursday, May 8, 2008

I was supposed to what?

A few wise friends have asked what I learned at my last race. I've put off answering. No one told me I was supposed to learn out there.. I thought I was just supposed to not die.

But like smart guy Friedrich said (or was that one of Angelina's tattoos?) What does not kill me only makes me.. um, learn something or whatever, yes, I learned out there. I think I've learned even more in the 24.5 days of forced rest that have followed. Here's what I've got:
  • Not to do an Ironman injured. It's hard enough healthy.
  • That I need to thank the masters coach, not cuss at him under my breath, because he has helped me. And apparently he has crazy-good hearing.
  • That a swim warm-up works & is not just something swimmer people do to let the rest of us know they're real swimmers. 
  • To travel a day earlier. A Friday arrival for a Sunday race is not enough time.
  • That stand-up paddling the day before the race is not smart.  
  • That I need to not space out and sing on the bike (while racing).
  • That when it's all falling apart if I just keep moving I will get it done. And I will be happy that I did.
  • That my heart rate can keep me from being the slacker I am, should I choose to listen to it, instead of deciding that this stupid watch must be broken.
  • That my time-to-get-in the water cry is a necessary part of race prep, and that the people who make that video will get a shot of it and play it at awards on the big screen every single time.
  • To be patient. To say no to workouts and events I'm dying to do because they're only going to hurt me in the long run. I must embrace my inner couch potato. It would help if we had cable.
  • That my zealous tri-friends will ask to borrow all of my fancy new stuff to use in the races I can no longer do. And I will say yes. 
  • Not to joke about having my bum leg cut off so I can get one of those super springy carbon feet. People take offense.
  • That I can swim 4000 meters. In one day. In one workout. In just over one hour. 
  • That the Dr. will not inject vaseline into my leg where the quad and IT band are "stuck together," even when I offer to provide the lube.
14 things in 24.5 days = potentially more than I learned my whole senior year(s) at Cal. Sorry mom & dad, I know that was pricey.

With respect to mistakes and learning I feel compelled to share the Best Spelling Test Ever. Start up top.

PS. I realize that my 24h to dwell on a race are up. I need an extension, I have nothing else to dwell on.
PPS. Three days, no junk.

9 comments:

  1. Nice work Henry! I bet he finished all his words...knew he aced it...then went to write his name at the top HENRY ROSS - the extra S was for SUPER SPELLER :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, THAT was funny. I'm sitting here all by myself laughing out loud at what you've learned. I didn't take offense to the leg comment but not singing on the bike while you're racing? come on....that's the best part!(my fellow racers might disagree)

    As far as Henry's spelling test.....I love that he spelled every word right with the exception of adding an extra 's' to his own last name. NICE. I want to meet that kiddo.

    Thanks for the entertainment. And not only was it entertaining but wise.....oh, so wise.

    rest up lady!
    Phaedra.

    ps-congrats on no junk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, first let me say that I think looking back at races for what you learned is important, but I think perspective after the 'heat' of the event can be even better. In the middle of the humor, I think you've learned a lot... including (although not listed) a new appreciation for health. I applaud you for taking a look for the triathlon lessons as well as life lessons... especially for ones that are deeper than mine, "Well, I learned not to rack my bike next to that jack ass again!" ;)

    The spelling test is freaking hilarious. As a teacher, I obviously have an appreciation for it! Since it's teacher appreciation week, a student gave me a sculpture of myself made out of a toilet paper roll (Niiice). It's says "World's Best Techer" - obviously not! LOL!

    And finally three days without junk? You're awesome, lady! You should reward yourself with an espresso brownie from Starbucks - KIDDING! I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny! I think that we can all learn something from your experiences. Especially taking stand-up paddling from our pre-race taper routines! :)

    Love your blog, keep'm coming!
    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  5. The last "s" is for super. Because all Ross' are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must be turning into a uber swimmer! Good luck continuing to recover, I am sure it suck but also gives you time to reflect on the positive. And, I would be one proud moma of your son - how old is he?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I'm someone who had the privilege of training and racing with Bree in past years in Kona and observing a world champion in the making. Now, I just train mostly by myself in Taiwan, and can only communicate with triathlete friends through blogs like yours. I have also had my troubles with my knee and was forced to drop out of Ironman Hawaii 2007 because of it. I kind of recovered quickly but never fully enough not to be troubled occasionally by it. I think Glucosamine tablets will help me, but I dislike eating them as they usually rip my esophagus to pieces each time I swallow them. Anyway, I thought I better let you know I looked at your blog. Do the right things now (whatever they are) and the good times will come back again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Learn something! Learn something! Yeah, about the only thing I learn before, during and after a race is that I am slowly but surely getting slower and slower. Must be old age.

    So, it's not a good idea to be in California all week right before a half ironman? Then, take a red eye two days before the event only to get to drive for five more hours to get to your destination. If this is a bad thing then I am in trouble!

    Let me have more of your wisdom Oh Learned One!

    Keep up the good work!

    Bicho

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, I'm totally a Blog Stalker, addicted some may say, so naturally I was excited when Phaedra mentioned your blog. The worst is when you actually meet people you've been "stalking" and forget what you're supposed to know about them! Ugh! Awkward :)

    Anyway, loved reading yours-it's pickin' funny. Cracked up when I read the part about trading in the bum legs for those "super springy carbon feet." I've actually said the same thing-I'm 4 1/2 feet tall though so I get a free pass, as far as I'm concerned, on all things inappropriate!

    Not sure when we'll actually see you again but I'm looking forward to your bad influence in the future. I thought it was Phaedra, Haley and I who were the bad influences but from the reports I read of the following night, I'm pretty sure we were just innocent bystanders!

    Be well and thanks for the laughs. Happy Healing,
    Shelby
    PS You HAVE to frame that spelling test. It's classic! And what's up with the potential sad face on the right?! I'd add ten /s/'s to avoid that mark! Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete