Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day

My coach has been telling me that all this swimming is keeping me fit for cycling and running. A rather transparent attempt trick me into the pool for such a smart man, don't you think? For my first! ride! back! Katherine and I crashed the Boca training clinic to swim through chop so messy that I was fortunate to finish on the correct island, and then we hopped on the bike for two hours. Katherine is my doppleganger. I could totally be her stunt double. More importantly, we do everything at the same pace - swim, bike, run.. we even had our kids at the same age. We quickly found the usual characters from the Boca Sunday ride. I was under strict orders not to push and to stay away from the boys. I behaved, mostly, by keeping the cadence high, staying at Z1/Z2, and not climbing.  But we hung on to the boys anyway. First day back, and I was the same old me, at the same HR and speed I was holding before the month off.  Perhaps the Coach wasn't trying to trick me after all.

The swim race is done and I have photos to prove it. Sort of - the only finish pic was fugly and I not going to post that on my own blog. I was 4.5 minutes faster than last year and finished in 36:39 (~ 1.75 mi), seventh overall, first AG, and first mom, a special division given the date. I got lost looking for a turn buoy we needed to hit before turning along the coast, but that's part of the game. I cut it close around the island and swam in foot deep water over the reef as the waves rolled over for a while - and I didn't even stand up and run like a cheater (unlike last year.) I did body surf some though. 

Here are Maggs (race director & swimmer), Sky  & I post-race - Maggs would like me to add the disclaimer that she only slept two hours last night so she's not her sun safety barbie self. She is also not 6'4" - she must be uphill!

And here's the fam, pre-race, hiding from the rain in the back of the wagon:

It was a nice mother's day, with many of those super-useful school project presents from the kids. After the swim there was a Monopoly game in which a new rule was introduced: Due to extreme thieving, no child can be left alone at the table, even during food and pee breaks. We're calling it the Wyatt Rule.

12 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day! It's nice to hear that all that swimming has been paying off in more than one way.....and that you're actually listening to your coach!

    Love the 'Wyatt rule'. Your kiddos are adorable......but what is your husband looking at?

    So, I'll ask again.....are you or are you not doing Honu? Or is it still up in the air?

    Hope to see you there....I arrive on Wednesday the 28th.

    Phaedra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SWEET! Super cool! You studly momma ;-) I knew it, sometimes Coach P is smart as you like to say.....HA!

    Happy Mom's Day!

    XO,
    E

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at you, sneak attack! Nice work on the swim!!! I'm so relieved to hear that the bike is feeling good too. What a relief to not have to turn into a total prune although it looks as though it may have done you some good after all! ;)

    Happy Mom's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was dying to hear about this race report... I so want to swim it sometime! Way to go on the new PR and in some chop! I am so with you on the listening to coach game-especially when it calls for not keeping up with the fun guys!

    LOVE the photo of you and Katherine- HUGS to her! See you girls at Honu... we need a Hawaii-Lifesport girls photo!

    Happy mom's day again and I love the family photo but it does look like Ramsey is checking on a hottie in a bikini or something...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am starting to think you might be a "blog post sandbagger," by saying you don't swim well, or don't like it, and have taken all this time off the bike and then you come back and rock a swim race and ride with the boys. Being one of those 'boys,' (not one that you ride with of course), no ride is easy when you got a gal tagging along that is chit chatting behind you as you work your ass off. I think your time off was amazing recovery for your body, and it recharged your soul. You discovered that you love this sport in a new way... and you are a mom, that's cool too.

    Congrats!
    Roger

    ReplyDelete
  6. RR,
    Congrats on your PR and wouldn't it be nice to always just be "off" for 1 month and then feel normal in the workouts/races? Excellent! Monopoly....I love that game....I think I need to buy it...and teach the kids how to play. :) Jen H.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1st overall MOM...You rock! I think there should be a mom's division in every race. Sounds like you guys had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You gals are just TOO cute!! Keep up the great progress with your swim -Those cute suits are bound to help!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job swimming...the race course was a little longer this year so you really kicked ass.

    And even after 11 hours of sleep last night I still look like death.

    See ya Wednesday AM!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like the perfect Mother's Day to me! (My dream after winning the lottery would be to spend a lot of time doing open water swimming races in Hawaii!) Really hope that all of your swimming pays off and that ITB is all healed soon.
    -Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohh, I am SO JEALOUS that you are riding again. I will now have to live vicariously through you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. happy belated mama's day - hope you had a nice one(maybe with a nap...)
    nice race! maybe i need to get injured so i would be forced to swim more...i barely made it through last night's master class as the heater in the pool was broken, it was starting to rain/snow and i was desperately looking for excuses to get out.
    outdoor pools in boulder are not as cool as they sound...send some sun this way ;)

    ReplyDelete