Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Mom Thing.

I'm about two weeks too late with this, but this story about Dara Torres is just incredible. A forty-one year old mom who is faster than ever before.. she rocks. 




Is there any physiological benefit to having a baby? Who knows. I am done having babies, so I can't collect any empirical data for y'all. Bree touched on this a while ago.  I'm parking my opinion right here with her - maybe it's a little bit of prioritizing, a little bit of time management, and add in one of my favorite mom mottos "No wasted miles!".. and well, who knows what else. We are all motivated by different things. I'm adding the photo again, because it is the only photo I have of us three Hawaii Moms, and because it cracks me up. It's the Ko Olina Triathlon in 2006. Something funny happened that will likely never, ever happen again. I caught Bree. You know why? Because Bree had given birth like three days prior. K was brand new and it was her first race back. Clearly, she recovered fully. And better than ever before! My good friend and training buddy Ingrid (center) won the race, she's an Xterra pro and a new mom who recently hopped on over to South Africa to race the nine day Cape Epic --  7+ hours of mountain bike racing per day at 5 months post-partum. 

(I must be uphill)

While I certainly don't aim as high as Dara Torres, I have hope that there are many improvements in my triathlon future. I suppose when I stop thinking that, then it will be time to move on. But in response to the Dara movie, my message for the day is go forth and reproduce, girlfriends!

Umm, except you, Liz. This was in no way directed at you. Boss is the perfect baby and I'm sure your two ovaries, one uterus and zero testicles are all fine and dandy and will be ready when/if you need them, OK?

13 comments:

  1. Rach, you are funny. I just read ELF's post too. So funny! Read my comment there....Um, I am so not ready to have kids either, Belle is our kid ;-) You are FAST because you are super talented and you will continue to kick serious bootie for a long time! I can't wait to have that camp of ours....want you to kick my bootie into shape! HA!

    E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you been talking to my mom? Ross you are lucky you live half a world away or else I'd be at your doorstop yelling BAH! Me and my little dog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Between your post and Bree's, I wish I was racing tomorrow. I had goosebumps all over watching that story. And I love what you said in your interview (that Bree posted) to remember that if you're a mom, you can do anything!

    I'm all fired up!! Thanks for sharing such a great story. I love hearing about women who "break the mold" and go for something in spite of the fact that it hasn't been done or "shouldn't" be done. It removes the boundaries and lets us fly!

    Phaedra.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There certainly seem to be a lot of fast moms out there...

    I think there may be a physiological benefit, but as you also touched on, there is the time management, and probably a whole new tolerance for pain.

    But what do I know, for know my babies are two crazy doggies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I found you through Bree...first "What a beautiful family" I am a Mom of 4 and this is my first year getting into tri's and I am really enjoying it (not that I am fast) but it is ME time and healthy Me time...much time MOM's need, as many I see lose themselves after having babies and leads into depression!!! This post is GREAT...Mom's don't just have to settle with just being a Mom...set a goal and go for it!!!!!
    Have a great racing season Rachel!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aa my belly continues to grow and I freak out about the life that will join us in a few month, posts like this help keep me sane.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - FIRST, thanks for posting the clip about Dara Torres. What an incredible example she is! SIMPLY AMAZING! I want to be like her when I'm 41... minus the olypics and stuff.... :) Wow - what dedication, committment, and inspiration.

    Second - you AND Bree are amazingly talented. Genetically gifted - AND you have the wherewithall to use your talents in the right way. Could it be the baby factor? Perhaps - if anything, like you said, it helped with time management, to not do so many trash miles, etc etc etc...

    Love the picture at the bottom. Classic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was an amazing clip about Dara Torres (first time I heard about her) and very informative for me. I will work at increasing my ankle flexibility!(I've got a longish foot, too, so that should really help me!)
    I hope you see constant improvement in your running rehabilitation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great clip! Dara is great and they talked a ton about ankle flexibility and flexibility - I Harp on that all the time...and it is SO true. I think it is impressive she set the AR @ 41. "Go forth and reproduce!" you are too funny! I am DONE. WAY DONE. Jen H.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rock on Moms! Dara Torres is one of my favorite athletes. Thanks for making my day by posting this! (Oops, just also learned that I should probably start kicking in the water more versus letting my legs hang like dead weight.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great Dara Torres clip. She sure does have a support system to make it possible. Two professional stretchers?!!! I'm so jealous.

    I miss the ankle flexibility I used to have as a swimmer. I'm not sure runnning lots and ankle flexibility go together. Maybe if I had professional stretchers to work on it every day...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these "Power Motherhood" posts...I understand that juggling children can be very demanding, but I also think too many use it as an excuse to give up their dreams.

    Although, I was not designed to reproduce, I have two wonderful step kids from which I get to experience the joy of motherhood.

    That was Motivation to go for a swim...Kick Kick kick

    ReplyDelete