Monday, May 26, 2008

Swim Bike Stop.

On Friday I fly to Kona for the Hawaii 70.3.  I love Kona, and I love this race. It was my first Half Ironman two years ago. At the time I had never ridden my bike more than 40 miles and I was scared to death! I didn't know if I could finish.. I did, and I ended up with my first kona slot. The hub and I downed a six-pack of corona under a tree while attempting my first bike disassembly, discussing the reality of actually doing a big scary Ironman and whether we were ready for it. In spite of swearing for 4 hours and 50 minutes that I would never ever do another half, let alone a full, I took it and went on to love the Ironman. 

Last year I chased Bree the whole way and we cheered each other on at every little out and back. I caught my friend Jaco and my coach Raul and ran with them part of the way. After Amy's 8 tequila shots at the finish line I had to confiscate the bottle, and then force shots on friends as they crossed the line. This year, I get to swim in the gorgeous water at Hapuna, bike to Hawi and back, and then quit. The big DNF. There have been days in my three years of triathlon that I wished I had an excuse to quit, just because I was tired or bonking or just plain wimpy that day, but now that I have to quit and I'm not able to run it, it's a whole different story. In triathlon I pretty much get the swim over with, and then sight-see and gorge myself with sugar on the ride so that I can get to the run and GO! This year I will get to the run and stop.

I am not turning in a T2 bag. It's the only way. Coach says that he will tackle me if I try to run out of T2. I think I could outrun him, but I'm not confident enough in that to try. It would be really embarrassing if he dragged me down by my braids. I considered a wig and a wardrobe change.. but the big picture is a healthy Kona build, and that's more important than running on Saturday. So Saturday is practice, more time in Kona, my first real-life training with Coach Paul, and no doubt another fun trip to Kona.. with a completely different end goal.

Honus past - 2006, shocked to have finished:

And Honu 2007, where Amy and the tequila bottle made for an interesting recovery:


That's not me in the bowl. It's Amy, after kissing the TV weatherman emcee and yelling into the microphone "I love the weather!"

14 comments:

  1. I had to laugh when I pictured you trying to sneak out of T2...thinking you had it...only to be caught by the braid by your coach and brought down!! :)

    I know it stinks now...but when you get to Kona this year more fresh and hungrier than ever you won't even remember this injury!! So have fun this weekend and swim and bike with that lead pack!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three years? I thought you were a veteran at triathlons. Ah! I guess you young people improve so fast. I will miss Honu this year (I did it 2005 to 2007, and in 2004 it was only an Olympic distance which made it easier for me to qualify for the only IM I finished). I am sure you will recover quickly in time for something not too far down the road. Keep looking at the big picture. I have 403 days left to my Hapuna swim!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will have the BEST swim/run combo EVER! No saving for the run...

    I am so proud of you for seeing the BIG picture! By Kona you will have so much strength and be so ready to race you might actually like the 2.4 swim!

    See you Friday. AND I remember last year dying at the finish promising I would never do Ironman, you reminded me in a few hours I would change my mind...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry that you are not running this year. I am glad to hear that you are being smart. Poor Guy Hagi must love Honu. Amy will always have more tequila. Have a blast this weekend. I will miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck this weekend killing the swim and the bike! Hopefully you can set PR's in both of those! I'll be racing as well.

    Too funny about the tequila. I did this in 2006 as my second triathlon. Only I had a much smaller bowl than you did at the awards.

    I hope the injury gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so, does this mean that you'll have tequila at the finish this year? I think you could probably talk me into one shot.....? I am excited to see your swim and bike time....it's kind of fun to think about what you can give on the bike because you won't have to run. It's your very own, special aquathon! You go girl!

    I am amazed that only two years ago, you did your first half AND got a Kona slot. That's just plain insane. sigh.

    see you soon. gotta get packin.

    Phaedra.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rach, you will have so much fun swimming and cycling and kicking bootie! Just have an awesome time with it and show coach what ya got, as wee likes to say ;-) you are going to PR by soooo much! i can't wait to hear. i'll miss you guys....kick coach in the butt for me,ok? HAHAAH!

    E

    ReplyDelete
  8. RAchel:
    Hope you have a fun weekend and since you can't run, I think you should get extra tequila this year!
    -Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am dying laughing at these pictures... and the whole stint with the weatherman... FREAKING HILARIOUS! I think tequila for recovery might just be the next big thing. You should write an article on that and I'll publish it in my blog. Then we'll both be famous and be the jobless bazillionaires we've dreamt about. Then we can travel for fun and do all the races we feel like. Do you think 'someone' will think it's weird when we show up at ALL his races?! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH yeah sure that is your friend Amy in the bowel...it kinda looks like you :) (just kidding) that is a classic photo..does she read your blog??
    Good luck with the swim and bike and I AM SURE you WILL kick BUTT...make sure you give Bree some competition out there as she needs it and she gets fired up with it!! Have FUN :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tequila as a recovery drink? It's worth a shot...hehehe.

    Anyway, torpedo that swim and rocket that bike!

    ReplyDelete
  12. RR- I was with Bree when she finished her Honu last year & all she said was "never going to do Hawaii Ironman, I'm dead, there's noway i'm doing Hawaii ironman".
    I was tryin to help her then you came over and told her she would change her mind shortly. And she did. She's a drama queen!!Hahaha!

    Hope to see you at Honu this weekend. I will be volunteering with Guy at finishline.
    Your images are classic! have fun in the Hapuna water and safe Hawi ride!

    Patrick...(bree's friend sort of..!!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome photos from last year. You'll have more time for fun this year since you don't have to run. Focus on the positive!

    ReplyDelete