Wednesday, May 21, 2008

kaizen

I ran! A whopping 25 minutes total, mostly in circles. It is finally possible to run again, but the little pulling and twangs or pain reminded me that while progress is being made, I am still injured. But things are looking up!

I was reading about Japanese culture today in my big fat super-intellectual book (ok, so it was an article on Toyota in this week's New Yorker) and found the word kaizen -- japanese philosophy of continuous improvement based on progress made in slow and steady gains in every arena of life. In time, the small improvements add up to huge gains. Adaptations need to be made, at every level, to improve efficiency and to reach goals. I also learned that the elevators of Manhattan transport the equivalent of the world's population every five days, but that's not so relevant to me at this moment. Kaizen I can get into. 

I would like to blame one specific pair of shoes for my 4 months of woe. But that would be wasteful. Kaizen seeks to eliminate waste and I have no doubt that blame is emotionally wasteful. I threw those shitty shoes away because that's what Toyota management would want me to do. There are other gains to be made. In triathlon, swimming my ass off this year will save me a few minutes over the course of 2.4 miles. That's teensy in the scale of a ten hour event, but a small step forward. Without running, I have been at the office more, contributing to the company, the big-girl job, and the family finances. They don't even act surprised when I walk in the door anymore. While I mostly jabber on about triathlon, triathlon is not life. My family, the job, my friends and their health and happiness make up the biggest picture. While I still wouldn't choose to not be running, there are ways that my hiatus slowly and steadily improves my life that I will take, make mine, and keep even when I am running again.

I am not running again tomorrow because that's what Toyota management would want from me.

Me, at Stongman last year in Japan. Practicing my peace sign, because when in Rome.. well, this is as Japanese as I get. And yes, there are funny flowers on my head.

On another note, I would like to recall my recommendation of doing totally made-up yoga to a Cake CD. I threw my back out and couldn't swim today. I am so over yoga. 

17 comments:

  1. What a great outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good how a philosophy can guide us, not just in sport, but in the other things that matter in life. I am constantly trying to do my work more efficiently, learning to concentrate better (and not think about the blogs or my swims all the time). I have only rarely done any yoga, and should I be inclined to do so, I think I will ask Brooke to teach me. Congratulations on the swim, I'm glad all the training has paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rachel-
    This post is great. I totally agree that slow and steady gains are the best way to go. I am slowly but surely coming back from a stress fracture, and it has been a hard journey back, but the patience was well worth it.
    Congrats on the 25 minute run, I completely understand how great it must have been!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah for your 25 minute run!! :)

    Your point about kaizen is well taken and such a great way to look at things, but it probably won't keep me from being inpatient and wanting huge gains NOW! :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great news about the run and I LOVE this post. I have some 'waste' hanging out in my life that needs to get tossed. Solid outlook. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Rachel-Love the Kaizen attitude. Indeed, things happen for a reason, and you now have time for other important things!

    Keep up the nice work in the water. Before long you'll have to drop all those non-swimmer comments because you'll make the swimmers feel bad when you pass them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice blog Rachel!
    "Triathlon is not life"....AMEN!
    I've got a bunch of "life" things going on that are getting in the way of the type of training that I'd like to be doing. I love this sport but as you said, there's more to life!
    Cheers, Ian

    ReplyDelete
  8. RACH! I LOVE your attitude in this post- KEEP IT! I am so glad you are running...I hope it keeps getting better and better and those darn shoes should be burned! I wonder what ones they are...

    As for the swim... YAY! no more back-of-the-pack! Way to be a family girl too- I know you love it, even the hard days!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found your blog via Elf's...

    I'm so WITH you. YOGA is stupid.. but not as stupid as IT band injuries :-0

    Congrats on the run :-) Listen to your coaches/Dr's. I struggled with ITBS for 3+years until I finally had to have surgery done on it. Now Im playing with the injury on the other knee.

    ITB SUCKS! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderful news Rachel!!!!! And for the record I drive a Toyota Rav 4, before that a Camary. My Dad is on his 7th Camary. We are not allowed to drive a car that is not a Toyota!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE the Kaizen attitude! IT'S GREAT! And exactly what all us injured folks need! You are hilarious - keep up the awesome work. Step by step, day by day - you'll get there! ANd how awesome is it that you GOT to run 25 min. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Rachel,
    Great post! Congrats on getting back into running. Now if you could only get your back into swimming!!! (Sorry, I couldn't resist.) Have a great day!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. SO true Rach! I love this post. This is all so awesome. I am so with you on everything. Life IS family, friends, happiness, health, and work. Triathlon is great, but not everything. You are such a rockstar. Love ya....

    E

    ReplyDelete
  14. Um, I'm going to start out saying that you probably just were in the wrong yoga class. Sounds like your instructor was used to dealing with more flexible students. And Rachael, you should know better. Never have a flexibility contest with a kid....especially not your own genetic offspring! Even if you threw your back out, it's worth the great picture.

    As far as the running, that's SO exciting!!! I love your message....I am starting to get the impression that triathlete's in general are not the most patient people. So, to hear that you are appreciating the beauty in small gains is encouraging. There is hope! You'll be back to being a gazelle in no time.

    See you in a week!
    Phaedra.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Slow and steady improvements lead to big gains and improving efficiency to reach goals... hmmmm... not nearly as inspiring as Manhattan's elevators. ;)

    My favorite part is that blame is emotionally wasteful. So true.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's always fun checking out new blogs and yours doesn't fall short.
    Oh boy..... another happy, cheerful Hawaii girl. LOL
    You have to understand, we New Englanders are somewhat crotchety with the crud weather we have to deal with.
    You and Bree can be my escape!
    Happy SAFE injury free training!!!
    e

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rachel- I ran across this picture last week (linked from Fedofsky's blog) and I've been laughing about it all week... I think once it even popped into my head mid-Gu and caused some strawberry-banana choking and near asphyxiation.

    Subarashii! (Excellent!... I think.)

    -Mark

    ReplyDelete