Sunday, May 18, 2008

Still breathing.

I survived another swim. Here are the highlights:

Sunday Brunch on the water post-race! Omelet, fried rice, granola, a waffle and unlimited coffee. For the sake of my vow to suck less everyday on the nutrition front I did manage to forsake the chocolate-filled doughnut. 


A spotted eagle ray cruised by about 30 feet below me during the race. There's something magical about them - it seems they're flying in slow motion. It was incredibly calm beneath me, and horribly choppy on the surface.  I only got actual air on half my attempts and I was repeatedly smacked in the face with salt water when I tried to sight. 

I caught on to the legs of a local fast guy on the way out into the open water, and let him do all the navigating for me. It was rather repetitive: hit his feet, try to go next to him, realize I can't, go back & draft a while, hit his feet.. repeat. There was no one within sight on either side or behind me, and we were so far out to sea I was afraid to lose him. He thought I was a hyper-competitive spazz, but really I just didn't want to be alone. I'm a wuss in the deep stuff. He ditched me with 1/2 mi to go. The sand on the bottom was moving backwards, and I seemed to be making no forward progress while fighting the current into shore. 57 minutes after I started, I fell up the OCC stairs and over the timing mat, and started looking for the brunch. After apologizing for the feet tapping. It was a pleasant surprise to be called up a while later, mid-waffle, as the 2nd girl and 5th human overall. 

It's a new week, and time for new goals. 
No crap - (take two) I fell off the wagon with all the social events of last week. My boss was in town and we had a business meeting, the kind with frozen maitais and periodic cooling off breaks in the pool, while discussing my transition to full time employment. It was noon somewhere.. I'm going to start by making too much soup today so that there will be leftovers ready when the need to eat hits fast. I posted this one on Timex, I love it and will make it today. Not that you should be taking nutrition tips from me.

No flu - Henry is sick. Whenever a kid gets sick, I get sick. Because when you're going to puke, who do you want to puke on? Mom, of course!

Yoga - I read this article in Runner's World about yoga for runners. Yes, I am still torturing myself by reading Runner's World when I should probably be sticking to the more sedentary fare like People. The intro is about a woman with ITBS that sounds like mine.. I too had to flag down a ride home once. Yoga bores the bejeezus out of me, but I would try voodoo at this point. I have a pile of unopened yoga DVDs that yoga nuts (hi mom!) have given me over the years to try out. It's on.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, great swim! Somehow fighting the ocean currents doesn't appeal to this midwestern girl:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might just have to try your soup!

    Man, I needed you at Honolulu Tri to draft off! My goodness it was weird having no women in the mix! Marianne did GREAT (as usual).

    Go do Yoga... Brooke's class is really fun if you are ever in Kona!

    Hey... just got your email too about the wheels- thanks for the offer, you are TOO kind! Sperm helmets & disc wheels freak me out though! I still have a dorky helmet that catches wind and baby wheels for those that fear cross winds. I'll let brave women (those that love the sting rays and little black tip sharks) use those things!

    Great race 5th human!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go on the swim race!!! Niiiice job - you're a freakin' ray yourself, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain, I got hit with ITBFS ("F" is supposed to be for "friction", but I have another word I use there) and I was reading the same article. Strangely enough, I made the same goal this weekend - to pick up some yoga to combat the tightness. Please, let us readers know which DVD's work best for you/that you like best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on another great swim race!! I can't believe the creatures you swim with - I would be scared to death!!

    Best of luck with your goals this week. I think the yoga will do wonders. I had a bad struggle with ITBS quite a few years back that eventually resolved with a very good, consistent stretching/yoga routine that I still do to this day. It's time consuming but well worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your swim. Sounds like you had a pleasant surprise at how well you finished.
    Good think Henry is not old enough to read your blogs - he would not be pleased.
    Mom
    PS Do you want those yoga DVD's I was mentioning today?

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my...great race! so funny, i had a race this weekend too where i was second woman and 5th human. funny.

    and i need the crap resolution everyday. i am addicted to sugar. especially frozen yogurt. its gross. today i had a face off with the cake in the teachers lounge. score- cake:1, beth: 0
    maybe one day i'll actually just walk by!

    ReplyDelete