Friday, May 16, 2008

Friday is Sharkday!


Today's swim was a sharky one. We've got these Konas (think doldrums) that leave the air thick with vog and the ocean like glass. We took the usual route out past the reef, then along the coast, stopping for turtles and pretty scenery along the way. It was an uneventful swim until a paddler came by and told us about a 3-4 foot black tip. We looked around for him, because there's always something cool about seeing a shark in the wild. Remember, I don't run anymore, so I'm desperate to get the HR up. Then a friend comes by on the stand up board and says, yes, there's a little baby there, but you just swam right past the big mama. She didn't know what it was, but it was not a reef shark, and those are the only ones I like to see out there.. Apparently the mama shark was as big as her 9'6" paddle board. Swim workout over!

But don't worry about me, because I will be swimming again soon. Oh yes, there is always more swimming in store. Sunday is the Honolulu Triathlon, in which I will not be participating. This was my first oly race 3 years ago. Last year Bree was so far ahead that people kept telling me I was winning. And I had to keep saying "Thank you, but Bree is just moving so fast you didn't see her." 

I will be swimming the Outrigger Invitational 2-miler instead. Don't be misled by the term invitational, any slouch can sign up, hence my involvement. I've never done this one because Ramsey usually swims it while I secure an Outrigger sunday brunch table and see how many cups of coffee I can fit in while my kids dodge brunch hostess Skin Cancer Lady to get all the chocolate doughnuts they can. Apparently it's less a race than it is a navigational challenge. The buoy is invisible against the Waikiki backdrop and the only clue given to it's whereabouts is that it's at the "Kapahulu Groin" which is just gross really, because couldn't they just call it a junction? Or a "T"? And really, how can a buoy be at a place where two roads meet? I rarely have a race strategy for a swim aside from don't drown, but this time I might tell some big shark stories at the start line. 


7 comments:

  1. Rach... ALL I keep thinking about is our NEW plan... It is on my brain so much! Maybe we won't have to be dirt poor moms after our little plan (I hope anyways!)

    Have fun at your swim, I will be thinking about you a few miles down the coast as I am only swimming .93 miles... and the only reason I was hurrying up so much last year was because you were behind me! Trust me, if you were running from you I bet you would have some major PR's too! I am too excited that your swim is kicking bum lately, BUT now I am even more scared of you because I won't have my little lead out of the water from you! Tinman (that short swim) will stink for me this year with your new improved swim- I will have NO lead! I remember Tinman last year I was so scared of you I fell off my bike and crashed trying to get away!

    Swim hard, find feet, and good luck finding the groin! Ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, 9 foot sharks make my local 58 degree mud puddles look more and more appealing... screw the cute little turtles.

    And best of luck at the swim race! Go get 'em, girl! I am thinking of all of these disgusting yet hilarious comments to make about you swimming trying to find the "groin", but alas I will save them for your personal email!

    Can't wait to hear how the race goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! The one time I saw a shark when I was in the ocean I'm pretty sure I beat my 100 yard record by about 30 seconds. I'm still really jealous of being able to swim in the beautiful Hawaiian waters for training, though. How cool! Enjoy the race!

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Bree - all this swimming is going to put some serious fear into all those gals that thought they could get away from you early!! I smell some swim primes coming!! :) Best of luck in your race tomorrow - hope you find the groin... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister was scared to death that I was going to get eaten by a shark when I did my ocean swim... I can't believe you were so close to such a huge one! That's one of the good things about living in Tucson - We don't have to worry about sharks in the pool :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always thought that I was a pretty gutsy, brave girl....until I read this. Now I feel like a weenie. Are you freakin' crazy? Sharks are 'real neat' to see from a BOAT.

    Glad to see you won't be needing one of those springy legs that you so badly desire.....

    Oh, and good luck, 'slouch' with the swim tomorrow.....

    Phaedra.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the blacktip reef shark - very cool. White tip is neat also... all the reef sharks are sociable and fun. Then again - I don't swim WITH them. Only view them from the safety of an aquarium or while sitting on my couch watching Discovery Channel. Yet again - your post had my cracking up! Thanks! Just what I needed!!!

    ReplyDelete