Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Help for those in Time-Out.

I've found heaps of helpful information on the web about treating my IT band, but next to nothing on ways occupy myself while waiting for any of it to work. There seems to be a void in webland that needs to be filled, so I thought I would share some ideas to fill the empty training hours. 

1. Watch one of the best movies ever, Rushmore, for the 186th time. Try not to pee when Bill Murray runs over Max's bike. Say "O R you?" to your spouse for a day or two after.

















2. Make suits with Splish's custom site. Then find one that someone else already made that is better. I need this. Jen H, you may need it too. I take no credit, someone named Alex made it:


3. Install power tap software on every computer you have access to. Even the local library. When all refuse to find the attached power tap, sell it on craigslist to fund the swimwear habit.

4. Throw apple core out the car window at the gazelle-like runners on Kal Highway because they look so damn happy. (I didn't really do it, but I may have thought it. I had nowhere else to put it.)

5. Spell mean things with the refrigerator alphabet magnets to try to stir up the already volatile relationship between the six and eight year old. Misspell so they won't suspect anything.


6. Play with the youtube. Try to make like a swimmer and watch the Thorpedo in slow motion a few times. Watch the psycho divorcee lady. Then see a good one about cyclists:

   

7. Try mind over matter. Embrace your down time. Take off all your clothes, get out your barbie and your coloring books, and just unwind..


PS - I didn't write that on the fridge. I just found it there. Please don't call CPS on me.

PPS - Next time, I promise to write something useful and triathlon related and even serious. Bear with me here. I really, really need to go for a nice long run.

10 comments:

  1. LOL!!! I just about peed my pants when I saw the picture of the refrigerator magnets. You are killin' me!

    I think you should spend your empty hours coming up with a bad ass sponsorship proposal for Starbucks. At least then you'd be alleviating one other problem from your life... coffee from home that tastes like gasoline.

    If that fails, go for a winery sponsorship or hey, Coors Light? At least then you can keep up with the Little League moms.

    If you need another idea, you can check out what I did the other day after work (my latest post: Another Boring Day at the Office). VERY productive and worthwhile activity that sharpens the mind and the aim.

    I'm always looking for the silver lining... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope that you heal up very very soon... Maybe by Saturday, your kids will be insisting that you run, coach or no coach!
    -Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay - you rock with the fridge magnets. Too funny! AND the M&M suit - you, Jen H and me. Remember: I will race for Peanut Butter cups and Peanut M&Ms. :)

    You Tube clip - FUNNY!

    Naked kid - funny

    Etc etc etc.

    as for the IT band. I've had similar issues. What finally got me working "properly" again was a massage therapist who was also an elite biker. She had the same deal - it turned out her glutes were overly tight AND her calves were overly tight, therefore pulling on the hamstring/IT band and causing some bad stuff. You may want to have a deep tissue massage and work out the knots in your glutes and calves - if that is infact the culprit. I also spent a lot of time on my own making sure the glutes weren't too tight, massaging the calves, etc etc etc.

    Of course, this all goes out the window when you spectacularily crash your bike.

    Good luck - and don't worry about complaining. WE ALL DO IT!!!! Hang in there - I'm sending healing thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. holy crap, the fridge magnet thing is funny....i think i'm going to try leaving little hints for my hubby that way and see if he gets it! heal up quick and enjoy the break cause you know if won't last ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAAAAA! I NEED THAT SUIT. I MUST HAVE THAT SUIT. I am so going to order it or make my own...in PINK! Hope your R&R is coming along ok and that IT band is healing! :) Jen H.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The whole post was so funny! Love all the pictures. That is a great suit, I think I would get too hungry wearing it. Hope your ITB is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fits of giggles, great post:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. fridge magnets, too funny... i am going to try that on charlie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doodette - I totally need the swimsuit!

    ReplyDelete