Monday, October 6, 2008

Science of the Taper.

I found an eerie photo on the web. It's me, getting off the plane in Kona on Wednesday, which totally freaks me out because Wednesday hasn't happened yet.

I know I'm tapering correctly when my kneecaps disappear.

The key to the perfect taper is not sharpen, tune & recover, or any of that silly science mumbojumbo. The key is amusing oneself in order to prevent excess running. Or swimming, because I hear there are people who do that in excess for some reason. It is also important to not get fat, but I don't have any advice to give you on that one because I always just get fat.

Because it's likely Katherine and I are the last racers showing up in Kona, I am still at home on Oahu. I am somewhat unemployed (30h a week until a find something new.. but it's slow.) I am allowed to swim as much as I'd like, but only because as much as I like pretty much means never. So here are some of my methods of self-amusement this taper week:

Dress jet-lagged mom up like a democrat at 2 am Chicago time. At 100 lbs, she's an easy target, in spite of being freakishly strong. Send really, really republican dad photographic evidence:

Help Sky the evil cat decorator torture Sammy with jewelery:

Have a whose-shaggy-hair-is-longer contest with sister. Decide a photo finish is required because I am all hopped up on competitiveness. She wins. I accuse her of cheating. Turns out she's taller sitting down. How many people can say that?

Attempt to play dollhouse with Sky. Even though I suck at dollhouse. I just don't get it. I must get that from my mom, because she lasted about 5 minutes before she called me downstairs to negotiate the hostage crisis. I don't even want to know what happened to those poor guys in the quilted purple master bedroom. Trampled to death by my little pony? All I can say for sure is that things are not looking good for the Good Witch.

On Wednesday morning I am off to the Big Island. I can't promise I'll be a-blogging. The cat-decorator threw a toy tank through the screen of my powerbook. The fix costs as much as a new computer. And laid-off me cannot afford either. I don't think the 2001 Dell cpu/monitor are going to fit in my bike box, but you never know.. it's worth a try!

25 comments:

  1. I'll be tapering soon thanks for the tips. Have a super fantastic trip and an even better race. I'll be watching you!!!!!!
    GOOD LUCK!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun tapering and eating your marshmallows! I think you are going to do better than you think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Compression socks: they cover the knees and keep the blood flowing. Well that - and keeping the legs elevated. :) Like the dollhouse stuff - I think every kid can understand. Hang in there - you'll be flying soon! (and I'm NOT talking about the plane)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Luck!! Go fast!! Don't worry I suck at dollhouse too! Can't wait to hear your race report.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck! Have a lot of fun! can't wait to watch you on the web during the race. :)
    -marni

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's the only thing I could ever beat you at...... I have hair that is far shaggier. 5 days no brush. Maybe I will get brave and take a picture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The last time Roger got asked to play ponies... he was the Grandma horse. Grandma horse peed in the water dish, drank it and died. He's never been asked to play ponies again. Jerk.

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha! I was looking at my hair the other day thinking it couldn't look shaggier and needed a serious hair cut.

    See ya in Kona.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Sta-Puff! Poor good witch...what did she ever do to anybody?

    Sorry about your puter! Have a good trip over to Kona. Make Bree let you blog from hers. Or just ask somebody at lavajava if you can borrow a laptop for a minute. It's not too much to ask from the future winner of the race!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a great race, Rachel! Sorry I couldn't deliver a baby for you on your birthday. I'll try again on Saturday so those 'cheers' you hear in the distance (all the way across the ocean from Oahu) will be me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. mmmmm Mr. Staypuff. Marshmallows...chocolate....candy..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Best wishes for an amazing race Rach! Sorry that I wont be there next to Wee cheering you on, but I will totally be yelling for you through my computer ;-) Go kick some bootie like you know how....

    XO,
    E

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck and have fun!!!

    And your sister may be torso taller bc she isnt tucking her chin. If you want a re-measure ( and you do) tell her she is cheating ( you already did) and that your posture is better giving you a "true" measure.

    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, now I'm craving marshmallows.

    Best of luck in the race. I know - just KNOW it - you're going to do amazing things! I can't wait to hear your report and all your stories of the fun and goings-on that took place.

    The shaggy mutts and I will be barking and cheering for you from California!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Rachel, second best posting ever...that screen cap of the pillsbury dough boy as you getting off the plane is so freaking visual and funny. Kick ass in Kona and I just posted a cool video you might like on my blog. I think it's awesome what a vocal and die hard Barack supporter you are.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good luck! Have a great race. All of us in blogland will be checking the tracker and cheering you on. I'm a little worried about the people on the purple quilt??

    ReplyDelete
  17. What, nobody said it yet??? Enough with the fat-comments, you are HOT! You gotta believe it...

    Oh, and you can borrow my computer anytime if you need it.

    AND in Texas there were a dozen people screaming "Obama is the man!" thought it was funny considering that place loves Bush... but it reminded me of you!

    have fun HOT STUFF... safe flight!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think it's a riot that your sister is taller sitting down--you, Ms. Longest Femur Ever. My husband and I have that same issue.

    Oh, how I wish I could be there to cheer for you this weekend. Good luck, and have fun! You will totally rock!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I HAVE THE SHIRT FOR YOU! Find me Wednesday alongside road to Hawi. If you see me there, peel me off pavement. But please leave Sherpa Thomas behind. Chances are he failed his mission to be my windshield. Can't wait to see you here!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i'm with bree. your fat complex is crazy.

    holy crap its only 4 days away!!!!!!!!! i gave kerrie some special sign ideas for YOU.

    have a fabulous race. but, i'm sure i'll tell you again before race day.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Doe girl....Have soooooo much fun this weekend and I know you will do AWESOME...you will be in my thoughts as I won't be able to follow the race, because I will be at a dang wedding :( you and your sister are so beautiful:)
    Hugs and good speedy vibes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Funny... that first photo is what I look like living in Germany above a bakery. Hmmm.
    Have a great race on Saturday!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. A little late reading this, but it was well-timed for me. It was a great laugh that I REALLY NEEDED.

    Thanks, Rachel. And those pictures were GREAT!

    Hope all is well on the big island...

    ReplyDelete