Sunday, October 19, 2008

I traded my bike for five Splishes and a doughnut.

I managed to keep her out of the pool on Friday - by telling her that her boots would make her sink. This is Sky post-field trip. I'm going to have to ask the Oakley man for another pair of those glasses.. she keeps stealing mine.

Jaco, the physical therapist superstar, turned 40 yesterday. You know it's a good party when you catch your hair on fire. This photo is pre-fire, pre-kamakaze shots, and pre-burlesque dancers. At some point we stopped taking photos. I owe Wen big time for telling me what that stink was, then extinguishing my hair.


It's the first weekend of no Ironman.. but I didn't have too hard a time finding things to do.

I finally painted the new bedroom. Well, supervised the painting of the new bedroom, anyway.. they don't enforce child labor laws in Hawaii, do they?


I took a lesson from Wyatt in recovery. He decided that Wii baseball was too much work standing up, so he played lying down. With fluids near to keep hydrated.


I ran, just because I felt like it. Carrie at Saucony gave me these last Friday, and I broke them in with my favorite marathon. I love them.. and put 20 easy miles on them this week.


My bike is still on the Big Island, enjoying a little vacation. It's probably lying on Hapuna beach right now watching the tiger sharks cruise by. Or maybe it's on a barge.. or maybe it rolled off the barge and sleeps with the fishes. Who cares?

There are lots of questions about next year. Pro card? Kona qualifier? Boston? I have no plans, and really no idea of what I want. It hit me somewhere along the Queen K last week that triathlon is not a have to. It's a want to.. if I want to. I've got lots of time to figure that out.

20 comments:

  1. You are awesome. Can I say that enough times?! I am sad that I missed you in Kona, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take ALL the time you want & enjoy the fun you are having with the cool new shoes and those children of yours! Wish you posted more party pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PRO Card. Get the heck outta my age group! HA HA! I'd love to see you run Boston because you are a damn smokin marathoner ALSO. Why not Kona too while you are at it.

    Let me know if you need any more planning advice. I am full of it. And full of S***

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shoes! I love my Sauconys! And they matched your suit. Get lots of rest, have lots of fun, and do whatever suonds like fun next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! The older I get I realize that it is about WHAT I WANT TO DO - not what I feel I "have to" do....very true! Enjoy your R&R and figuring out 09. Throw everything in a jar - shake it up and MIX THINGS UP in a big way! why not?
    Jen H.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tiger sharks? TIGER SHARKS???? How come you didn't tell us this piece of info last week???

    ;-)

    Happy recovery!

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmmmmmm.....i say, take some time to marinate and think about what YOU want for next year and your own expectations are for yourself (not others for you.)

    that said :), sign up for Honu70.3 (with me!) and come run rock 'n roll (maybe me too, but right now i want to toss my running shoes in the ocean)...you certainly are qualified to go pro, but that is a lot of pressure!

    oh. can i have skye, like for keeps? she is the coolest cat around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A 20 mile run just for the fun of it? you are one sick puppy. Can I get hire your painters? Are they licensed and insured?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy the time just deciding what you want to do. I loved playing volleyball until in college I started thinking of it as my job instead of as something I just loved and wanted to do. It was never the same when my mental approach to it changed. I'm always impressed by how you tend to keep triathlon in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i run in the same shoes(when i'm running!!) and i love them, even more now that they are orange. as for decisions/promises/bargains made on the queen k(lol), thank god you have lots of time to think about it and figure it out...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those shoes look cool! Each tri race, I think why am I doing this. Although, unlike you, my backup plan isn't to go back to running. I am a swimmer, so it is all over after the short but sweet swim. Then I spend the rest of the race wondering why I thought adding land sports would be a good idea. Looks like you have a ton of great things in your life. So I say, just do what you really enjoy ( even if that is running marathons ... I cringe as I type ). Thanks for the great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those shoes are fantastic. I love the orange. Take your time, recover and then make those big ole decisions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha ha - enjoy the off season! Did you have the donut? ;) Painting sucks - my arms always get SO sore. Glad you've got the kiddies to help. Nice shoes! AND - do what YOU want, not what other people say you should do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. keep having fun and enjoying life :)
    -marni

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now how freakin' cool is it that some shoe company made an orange racing flat? Matchy Matchy... gotta match. If you feel like shit, at least look good I say.
    Congrats on your job stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome attitude- triathlon is definitely a 'want-to'!! You have lots of time to decide what you're doing for next year. For right now, keep enjoying your unstructured training.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your last paragraph is spot on and it makes me happy that I'm not the only one who has no idea what I want to do next season!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rachel, you get the award for most fun posts. That was great.

    I'm in agreement w/everybody else here - now is the time to chill and enjoy life for all that it is. Let next year's goals come to you and pick them based on YOUR desires.

    Life is too short and already full of plenty of things we HAVE to do and/or DON'T WANT to do. So make this about what YOU want.

    I agree with Bree you should've posted more party pics. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. i vote pro card. but i am biased ;)

    see you in LESS than two weeks!

    ReplyDelete