Sunday, October 12, 2008

I can never sleep after IM.

You know you've been racing all day when you find yourself eating pb m&ms and stuffing the wrappers down your shirt hours after finishing. I was sitting next to a garbage can.

So much happens during an Ironman. But there's not that much to say:

I swam inside, away from the crowd and didn't get beat up. I was never scared. I also didn't get the draft and swam slower than last year in spite of big swim gains. I was really disappointed with my 1:04.

The bike was OK until Waikoloa, then all hell broke loose. The cross winds were lifting my front wheel off the ground and dropping it a foot over.. it was scary, and some people crashed. The climb to Hawi felt great. I saw Cathy near Waikoloa, just as happy and sweet as can be. Her entire family is just pure joy and so fun to be around. I saw Chrissie in her splish part way up to Hawi. Coming down the same thing was going on with the wind and I slowed way down. Coming back, I did my usual sucky space out. My time of 5:35 continues the trend (3 Konas: 5:22 5:28 and 5:35) of getting slower. You can't fake it in winds like that, and my six week build from zero to 112 wasn't enough.

The run did not start off well. I ran the first mile in 6:35. oops. R told me the AG winner was 20 minutes up. My legs did not want to go. My brain yelled walk, it's useless, quit, and every step of the day was a battle. I kept picking places up ahead to quit. Or walk. I didn't talk like I usually do. I had nothing. Liz cheered me on a lot, until I passed her husband. Kerrie actually heckled her husband when I started to come up on him. My salt dissolved so I picked up salt tabs on the ground along the way and ate them. Really. In front of the big group of Bocas cheering me on up Palani I was waving and trying to smile, then -- ooh! a salt tab! pop it in mouth and back to running. They said it was 108 in the energy lab and I believe it. I ran 3:21. For a grand total of 10:06 -- my new Ironman personal worst, in both time and placement. I was 3rd in my AG, fourth amateur.

But I am happy. I've never run so hard, or fought so hard to keep moving. Not walking a step was an accomplishment in itself. I got what I expected. I knew it was going to be hard, and it was. I've only raced in easy Kona conditions, and these were not them. But I love the people at these races, and all the support and watching the accomplishments. And I think it's a blessing that I didn't get the slot for next year by winning the AG, because it's time for a rest from IM. Maybe shorter stuff, or maybe just marathons.. but as grumpy and ungrateful as I was going into this, well, I need to listen to that. If I miss it, it will be there.

Katherine had a hard day as well, and went 10:40. She was sick for most of the bike ride. We agreed that it's time to come volunteer next year.. so that's the plan.

I don't have any race photos yet, just another from pre-race and a bunch from after. Heading out to dinner the evening prior, we ran into Stefan, our swim coach, and Joe and Steve by the finish:

When Raul heard I had no salt he scrounged around and found me some. He rode out with it, but by the time he found me I had already scored a whole bag of salt stick pills off the queen K and was OK. So nice! Joe, on the left, told me I looked hot every time I ran by, which was also very nice.


Doug the Enigma Berner was here for this photo, but disappeared from the bar at some point.. vanished.
JQ, Suzanne, Traci & Keri, my Oahu girlfriends, flew over to watch the race. Here they are writing chalk notes to me on the run course. This is the view of the hot corner from our balcony.

Tim placed 15th pro in his first Kona.. 30 years after his dad did Ironman back when it was on Oahu. His wife, adorable Mariane, did her first ever and flew through it in 10:40.

The gang watching the final finishers from the bleachers:


Race photos to follow..

45 comments:

  1. Way to tough it out there Rachel! I followed you for most of the day on my computer.
    What an excellent job of keeping at it!
    Now rest up and recover. You are making your family extremely proud. I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rach! We cheered & screamed so loud and so proud of you all day long...now I can't even sleep I am so fired up from cheering...

    You kept at it and didn't walk, that was a win in itself! Hope the recovery goes well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I figured the bike ride was hard when the Pro men were being blown around. Enjoyed following you on the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we saw you cross the line- it was awesome! 4th amateur is quite incredible. you are amazing. next time, start licking yourself for salt. that will get the crowd going.

    unfortunately, since james heard of the fierceness of the 30-34AG (come on 4th, yet 3rd in your AG!), he is trying to pimp me out to ironmans in 2009 to qualify for kona before i am 30. i'm not having it.

    get some sleep and RECOVER (translation=eat candy!) although after seeing your abs i am sort of doubting your purported candy consumption.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME! 4th OA is simply awesome. Great job Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw you cross the finish line looking so strong! Your time was very imressive, with your injury and the fact that you weren't able to train as much as normal! Congrats on a solid race!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How in the world do you race so hard and look so great during and after?

    SOLID performance in hard as f*ck conditions.

    LOVE that you ate salt off the road!!

    Keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed tracking you and even watched you cross the finish line on Ironman live. What an amazing performance in such brutal conditions! You have inspired me to be really tough in my upcoming iron distance race and not walk. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You were amazing! I tracked you all day. To push so hard in tough conditions - you're a rock star! Get some rest and enjoy what you've accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A.W.E.S.O.M.E.!!!!!!!!!!!!! way tp perservere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an amazing race RR!! Not even considering the fact that you only had 6 weeks to train for it!!! It's hard to put yourself out there when you maybe aren't 100%...on triathlon's biggest stage...but you did and you rocked it!! Thanks for all your inspiration Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  12. RR: I followed ( stalked ..) you, CY, and Maggs all of yesterday. Went to the MN WILD home opener ( we beat the Bruins..woot woot) and got home to "see" you all finish. AWESOME JOB! Incredible to all three of you, and super cool that you beat Desiree. hee hee. I dont know either of you but i wanted you to have a faster time.
    Julia in MN
    PS Obama signs everywhere up here, We did bike sprints to the signs and man that was too much sprinting. I bet he was cheering for you too:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Way to go RR!!!!! I was cheering for you (from Florida!) ALL day! You did amazing - you pushed through, didn't listen to the doubts in your head, stayed grounded and had an incredible race (considering you could barely run this past summer!). I am so impressed and couldn't be prouder! Enjoy the M&Ms my friend!!! Big YAY for you!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. YEAHHHHHHH RR! I watched you all online and you had a great day! I am sorry it was so painful, but you DID super and should be proud and happy of your time/place and now it is over! HAHA :) ENJOY the chocolate M&Ms. Congrats again, RR! :) Jen H.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice job, Rachel! It was fun watching you online yesterday! And by the way, I totally ate salt tabs off the ground last year on the run. In fact, I remember halluncinating that I was seeing them and then as I got closer would see that they were actually cigarette butts. I wasn't so bad off that I ate the butts though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. We didn't have internet access at the cabin on the eastern shore, but Jen filled me in today. Damn, girl. 4th OA on 7 weeks of training?! Wow. wow. wow. I am so damn proud of you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm still in awe of you. Amazing job. I could only dream of such an accomplishment...not to mention having a smile on my face at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Woohoo! Way to suffer through a tough day and do amazing. I had a great time following you online. Now take some much needed time off. SOunds like you are a little burnt out and being smart about next season.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on an awesome race. So good to finally meet you outside of "blogland"!

    ReplyDelete
  20. ROCKIN'! Congratulations Rachel! Had to stay up to watch you finish. Very proud of you. Looked brutal out there.

    ReplyDelete
  21. CONGRATS RACH! You are awesome! Rest up and recover well, you deserve it! Time for all those M&Ms ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations Rachel! You are such a star & such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow--your performance in the toughest age group is so inspiring! Great job-- my salt tabs melted during Ironman as well and I had to attempt to lick the remains out of my bento box....ah, Ironman.
    Again, Congrats!!!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  24. You were great Rachel! I tracked you most of the day and if you were falling apart it was sure hard to tell from the results. Very funny that you were eating salt tabs off the road - and even funnier still that you were still sticking wrappers down your shirt hours after the race :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Compared to your other AMAZING accomplishments 4th OA may not seem so awesome, BUT IT IS! And your time was fast! You were injured for so long it is incredible that you were able to pull off such a stellar race.

    Did you enjoy the Peanut butter M&M's? they sure are good...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Rachel,

    You did FANTASTIC. Way to go and CONGRATULATIONS!!! Good to hear you're listening to the cues to maybe back off a bit - because, as you say, it will always be there. And I think between the conditions you had and the mental blocks you were fighting, you really showed everybody how strong you are, physically and mentally.

    You are definitely a stud. YOU GO, WOMAN!

    :) S

    ReplyDelete
  27. a perfect race is really cool. a race fought so hard for is beautiful. NICE WORK! I can't even imagine but it sure is inspiring. Recover well!
    Your fellow tech writing friend,
    Erin :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow great job on what sounds like a super tough day!! Good on ya for sticking through it and not walking at any point. You should be very proud of yourself and now it's time to take a much-needed break!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Dude that was an awesome race no matter what you say! Good to see you guys in the back of finish line! I was looking for ya!!

    Recover well. We were cheering for you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congrats Rachel! I personally think anyone who even attempts - let alone finishes - an IM is a serious rock star!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I couldn't be prouder! Tough conditions, but you stuck with it and didn't walk....that's HUGE. You are so freaking fast. Could you let me borrow your speed for a year or so while you rest? :)

    Congrats on a great day! Plus, you look like a superstar AFTER your race? How do you do it??? :)

    Now, relax and have some more m&m's...

    ReplyDelete
  32. WOW...I though you did SUPERBLY especially after such a challenging year. DANG...you rocked it. You have to be proud! Ahhh, now is the fun time. Eat and be merry. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I think you did amazing! What a tough day and you still ran a 3:21 in that heat! Congratulations on toughing it out and coming in top 5!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. well done ! given your training year, I'd call this race a triumph. Bravo.
    Also, note that this marathon qualified you for Boston ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Although it's always hard to know just what to say afterwards when a race doesn't meet someone's hopes and expectations, I will tell you this...

    I am proud of you for not giving up, and for keepin' on. It's so easy to give up in those situations. You stuck with it. If you saw your own child do the same, you would be beaming with pride.

    We're all beaming with pride.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Way to go RR on your race!
    I love your blog-too hilarious. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  37. You are an amzing triathlete, faster than I could ever hope to be, but what amazes me most is how fabulous your hair looks after all that training and racing! Seriously, what is the secret of the fabulous hair!!????

    ReplyDelete
  38. congratulations rachel! i am always amazed at what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  39. congrats, I was pulling for you all day!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Way to go Rachel! And your skirt is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Just rest a couple more days and you'll be saying how much you want to do next year's race. I hope you qualify for it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wahooooo Rach...I am so glad Bree posted photo of you racing...since I was in San Fran with no internet...I was bumming not being able to track you...Just think months ago you could not even run and look how well you did:) Be proud Mama and damn girl you still looked hot after that race :)
    I am proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Wow you rock! I am scared to think how your race would have gone without the limited training. It was awesome to hang with you and I look forward to partying together after the next race ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Just remember, it is illegal in Ironman racing to get help. If your husband or friend gave you salt, then you would be disqualified. Also, nobody can give you water, gatorade or food. Also, if some one runs with you to pace, also DQ.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thanks, anon, but no one ran with me, nor did I take anything from anyone. I'm not as stupid as I look.

    ReplyDelete