Sunday, October 5, 2008

Haleiwa Triathlon

Hey Wyatt, how many cookies have you had? Powdered sugar doughnuts? One, huh? What's that all over your face? Wyatt loves race food.

Hey Wyatt, what place did your mom come in?

Having missed nearly the entire season here, I jumped in to the Haleiwa Tri this morning. I love this little race on the North Shore. Four years ago it was my second triathlon. And my very first win! Local style post-race festivities under the trees in Haleiwa Park:

It was a 53 minute race, and since it's only 6 days until Kona it was all tempo, no competitive. Half of the 3 mile run is in sand - the deep kind that makes you feel like you're sinking and shoots your heart rate through the roof. I was second off the bike - only Eduardo was out in front of me. At the run turn-around on the Lost set (little huts and trailers everywhere!) before we hit the beach, I saw an unfamiliar man gaining on me. I got into the sand and tried my best to keep the HR down and not work too hard, but the sand wasn't having it. I wanted second overall, but Brian, who is in town to volunteer at the med tent in Kona, could not be held off. He caught me with about 200 yards of sand to go and I finished 3rd human, 1st girl, and a full minute faster than last year.

After the race we hit Shark's Cove at Pupukea for a little swim. I haven't seen it so clear there since I was a kid. The lagoon looked like Tahiti, and now that we have three swimmers we can tool around in the deep stuff, diving for sea urchin spines and chasing fish. A couple more days of work, gear gathering and resting up, and on Wednesday it's off to Kona I go..

20 comments:

  1. congrats siser! what a good omen a week before the big dance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Crap, look how clear Sharks Cove is!!! Wow!!

    Nice job up north! Don't get LOST!!

    See ya soon in Ironman town!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the win and the 1 min improvement! Good sign for your goal of beating your time next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I woke up this AM wishing I was on Oahu to do the race. Now I know why there's never any cookies and doughnuts left when I get to the food table. See ya in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you're racing men now! Good job! You are going to have an awesome Ironman next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job! Hooray - AND I saw that you turned down a chocolate costco muffin. What a good girl you are! Great job and fantastic that things are all coming together! Perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. NICE! A win... anywhere... is a great confidence boost. Great timing going into Kona.

    I'm also laughing at your Kona playlist. Not that I don't love the songs (I seriously do), but because I think you would DIE if you heard what's on my iPod right now. Apparently, there's a black man living inside of me just dying to come out. Who knew?

    On the chance that you're in the mood to try something new... Try "Wadsyaname" and "Body on Me" by Nelly, "Love Lockdown" by Kanye West, "Whatever You Like" by TI, "Right Now" by Akon, "Can't Believe It" by T-Pain

    Don't knock it until you try it ;)

    J. Dogg

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello!
    Congratulations, awesome!
    You´ll have a grat day in Kona I am sure!
    Ciao, Silv

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way to go! You're totally my Mile 23 person now--the person I think of when I want to walk the marathon: "What would rr think?"
    Good luck next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Swimming in "Sharks Cove" doesn't sound like a good idea to me, but it does look gorgeous.

    Way to go on the race! You are gonna ROCK Kona. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun day! Have a great time in Kona, enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats...you are an animal. You're gonna win Kona! :) (you heard it here first!)

    Glad you got some fun swim time in with the family!

    ReplyDelete
  13. sign me up for the donuts and cookies...they didn't have those at my last race. Clearly I need to do some due diligence before I sign up for these things!

    GOOD LUCK!! You sound super fast.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on the one minute improvement! You are ready to rock.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those sprints ARE hard work, aren't they?

    But AWESOME JOB!!! Congrats and way to go on being a minute faster!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so awesome Rach! Way to go and love that pic of Wyatt! Cute! Thanks for the comment too. Reid is one super sore dude today ;-)

    E

    ReplyDelete
  17. WHERE IS MY POST I LEFT THIS MORNING??????????
    GRRRRRRRRRR....


    I said something like....

    You are ON FIRE! What a great confidence boost for Kona. You really turned the season around after your IT band problem.
    I can't believe you picked out my J Crew flannel lined chinos. Yes they are old. I wish they made an updated version. You know, low slung with some style. Mine make me feel like Androgenous Pat but they are toasty warm and it was dank and dreary in the apple orchard yeasterday.
    Once again the pix are great. Makes me want to get on a metal death box and come there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like things are right on track...and actually even better!! Congrats on your win! Safe travels and many, many wonderful memories in Kona! :)

    ReplyDelete