Friday, October 24, 2008

Define Amateur.

There will never be enough time. Every single day I wake up in the dark and wonder how I'll fit it all in. The job, the kids' breakfast, the shrieking of Move It, Move It, Get in the Car! and Put on some underwear! the school drop-off, the commute, the work work work, the pick up, the homework, the dinner that no one eats. Not unlike every other working mom on the planet.

Everyone's got a list of priorities that they base their daily decisions upon. I think mine is in line with the majority of triathletes: fam, job, sport. I don't think that's a list that will ever change

There's a lot of overlap. I know age-group athletes who quit their jobs, have bikes more pricey than Chrissie's, and don't have families to prioritize. And they're happy, which is what matters most.

I know professional athletes with full-time jobs and families, though it seems the ones at the highest level of competition have families, and are so successful in their racing that triathlon is the job.

It's a blurry line.

I've talked to experts. The word that comes up a lot is potential. Which makes me think of high school physics and energy and a spring all stretched out.


No comments:

Post a Comment