Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Reality Bites.

I think I had ten of Bonnie's M-dot cookies on monday.. easing me back into reality in a sugar-haze.


It's funny how far away a 40 minute flight can take me. In Kona I forgot about it all. Well, except for missing my kids. Some of them, some of the time, anyway. I forgot about the job hunt. I have two promised offers that have not materialized. I am in the midst of three interviews in 24 hours. High heels hurt. Not knowing where the mortgage will be coming from hurts more.

In the wake of Kona, acquaintances and colleagues here on Oahu tell me that they can't believe I could do something so difficult. And I think to myself that I had a week of vacation with ten rather intense hours scheduled in. I had friends from all over the world to play with, good food, and an excuse to put my feet up any chance I got. It's real life that's hard.

While Animal Planet would tell you this anole is molting, I like to think of it as shedding my perma-splish. My back looks much like his does right now:

My kids continue to crack me up. Democracy took on a new meaning in the back of the volvo yesterday. There was a vote on the way home regarding whether Jurassic Park or Hannah Montana's 3D Concert would be the family movie night choice. Hands were raised for each, then Sky declared:
It's one against two, I win.

I wonder if that would have worked on the podium at Kona.
You're 9:55, you're 10:05, I'm 10:06.. I win.

I ran an hour easy this afternoon. Three days of sitting still was enough! Time to start thinking about the marathon in December..

24 comments:

  1. ha ha first! we are leaving tomorrow and really going back to reality. at least you don't have to deal with freezing temps!

    now where can i score me some of those cookies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reality for you surely must be related to triathlon, just as Chinese was to me 30 years ago when everyone thought I was nuts. I hope the job interviews are enlightening and that you eventually find the right thing for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rach...
    hope you land work soon that you love! Or at least like... and hey, I got a couch for you now! Yours anytime, only 184 steps from the pier :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm...those cookies were good ;-) hope they call you soon and it's the perfect job for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Sky is my kind of girl. Though she might get recruited by the Republican Nat'l Committee. Did she work her vote counting magic in Florida 8yrs ago?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Sky's accounting! You are the winner in my book. Good luck on those interviews.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you win not matter what time you did..you finished..yay.
    That cookie looks amazing..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. First I want a cookie.

    Second, yes reality does in fact bite sometimes. Bite it back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. enjoy some family time....I'm sure your kids will bring you back to reality and lots of fun times in the off-season. Enjoy the marathon training!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know why but at some point it became *ok* for prospective employers to ignore interviewees...leave us flapping in the wind after making noises of commitment. It's them. Not you. But it still sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome race! I hope you get the job of your dreams - you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey when you're done with your post ironman bliss and all those interviews, you may want to check the new Obama video I posted, it's pretty sweet. How about making some phone calls to undecided voters in the swing states? Better yet, make that Obama suit, put it on, and put your model good-looks to use with all those "Joe the Plumber" types.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those cookies look good! Hopefully you find a job that you like to do. Enjoy your down time while it lasts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Yes, reality is tough sometimes. I definitely have days where I wish I could just be on my bike or out on trails all day and not think about anything else. Sigh...

    Those cookies look good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just wanna SQUEEEEZE Sky. She is so darn cute.
    Good luck with the job hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Best of luck with the interviews, I have some lined up too. Strange that all it took was a week of fun, sun oh and a little race to get some offers. Your way too much fun, can't wait to hang again.
    Go get em in the marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. reece was skeptical about eating a cookie with a flower, must be a boy thing. or maybe just a reece thing. nevertheless, he LOVED those cookies!

    it was great seeing you. for all of 5 minutes. still great though.

    i love sky. she's hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Job searching is definitely no fun! Heels are even worse. I know they're supposed to be sexy but they make me feel like a klutzy giant.
    Something will come through for you, it was just waiting till you got the little IM thing out of the way!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rachel,
    Hang in there on the job front. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. When can we start running together so I can get FAST? (just kidding) anyways, I can just chase you around Hawaii Kai, but I get bored by myself!! Talk to you soon, Simley

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yeah, the high heels kill me. How do people do it? I don't get it. Love the Sky math.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Rachel!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and the kind words---I saw you at Haleiwa Tri and I saw you cross the finish at Kona via my computer (I was longingly watching everyone cross the finish)

    Congrats on an awesome time!

    ReplyDelete