Monday, October 13, 2008

Race photos & Cliff-jumping.

First, let's talk a little about Ironman-induced delirium. I mentioned that K had a difficult day out there. There were copious amounts of vomit. But she fought hard to come back and after suffering through the first 13.1, she ran like crazy to catch up with a 3:35 marathon split. Katherine is an incredibly talented woman and I am always impressed by the way she seems to do it all, and do it well. But it turns out that she is no good at putting sunscreen on her own back. In her depleted state, she decided to sunscreen up with a face stick at some point on Saturday. It kind of looks like she tried to write foxy across her lower back:


Some folks out there on Saturday were living for the finish chute. This is the moment I was living for - it's all about getting to T2. Thanks C&KY for the photo:

It's funny how quickly you can tell what's in (or isn't in) your legs. The grimace-smile at Wee sums up that oh-crap-this-is-going-to-hurt feeling I had as I started the marathon:

As I ran up Palani Hill I found myself really, really dizzy and thinking about walking it. OK, I was dying to walk it. Then I looked at the Timex banners all lined up and thought "run past Timex before embarrassing Timex" and made it up somehow. I dove for the first salt score right after this shot. Note that the dude on the left is having a really hard time shaka-ing with his right hand. He must have overlooked that in his training regimen.

This is the end: the turn at the bottom of the hill onto Kuakini. I was a little delirious, because I didn't recognize Aaron as I came up on him, and realized who he was as I passed and he patted my shoulder and said something encouraging. He's the CEO on my left - the fittest CEO in the world. In my memory it's dark out at this moment. I have no idea why, but apparently my brain was playing tricks on me. If you look closely, Ramsey is just off his shoulder, running down to catch me at the finish:

Thanks Jon for the photos!

Sunday morning Tom, the maker of Team Timex, picked Ramsey and I up to go jump off the cliffs at Keauhou. It doesn't look very high in the photos. But trust me, it was scary. This is me pointing out to Ben, Tom & Scott that it's a long way down and maybe we ought to rethink that whole ladies first thing:



Tristan, Tom, Ben, me & Keith - Ramsey told us to stick out our guts. Only Tom fell for it:

Awards were wet. There were rivers running across the parking lot and shelters being built out of tables. I took cover from the pouring rain under my bowl while on the podium, and Bob Babbit gave me hell for bringing my beer up with me. Some of the Oahu gang during the rain - Billy, Mark, John and Cliff. As expected, John swam faster than Andy Potts - 47 and change and went 9:22 in his first Ironman.. with a flat! That's crazy fast.


Ramsey and I braving the floods to head out to the parties..

The responses to my report were so encouraging, and as time goes by I find myself more and more satisfied with what I did out there on Saturday. Thank you everyone who cheered me on, in Kona and on the web! A big shout out to Haley, who also left it all out there, including the entire contents of her stomach. I found her on Alii suffering through her first Kona as a professional. She ran with me a bit, but was too sick to run for very long. She fought it out though, and finishing when it all goes wrong is an incredible feat and a win in itself. You rock, Haley!

22 comments:

  1. Absolutley awesome. Now too long ago you wondered if you'd even race. Not only did you race, you jumped off a damn cliff! That's some HTFU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad the rain held out till the following day. Again, way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos Mz RR. You came back from struggling with an nagging injury and still managed to put it all together. It might not have been EXACTLY the way you planned but heck, you did awesome, collected some hardward and looked rockin' HOT to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel, you truly are amazing, not only for your abilities but also your spirit. I'm really proud of you.

    Now, go rest that body and recover!

    ReplyDelete
  5. way to not embarrass team timex! love thatl such a fun post- i can't believe that you were up on sunday morning cliff jumping! and i can't believe how much it poured at the awards. you should get TWO awards for bringing your beer up. nice work!

    (And thanks for being a good sport about the little joke on my blog- james only says that when he wants me to stop being a dork and put down the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - you WERE delirious! Cliff jumping after an IM. hee hee hee! Great shots for an incredible day. Enjoy the off season - you did great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachel, congratulations on finishing a tough race. You know yourself best when times are hard and you came through for yourself. Take care now, can't wait to hear what's next for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on an amazing race day and a wonderful attitude that inspires me! Glad to hear you are resting up and having fun. Now what's this about leaving your bike behind?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are such a super stud, Rachel! Damn I can't even imagine having the energy to do ANYTHING after IM, let alone cliff-diving.

    Great pics - thanks for sharing the fun. You totally did awesome and like Beth said, way to stay strong for Timex. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE Katherines TAN :)

    Hey, I took that photo just out of t2! Looks like you can't hang up your Iron shoes yet, YOU still have a 3:10 in you after a 112 bike!

    Happy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You definitely rocked out there Saturday. My friend Brian is a clydesdale and even he was being pushed around on the bike by the crazy wind!
    You overcame injury, bike crash and unemployment and still made it not only to the start but to a really awesome finish!
    Rock on!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats for a SUPA solid race at Kona!!! :) Enjoy your well-deserved recovery!!!

    Looks like I'll be moving to Bezerkeley in 6 months - interviewed at UC yesterday and LOVED IT...can't wait!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cliff jumping sounds like fun. Also sounds like you had a really fun weekend. Thanks for helping to bring Kona alive, virtually. I will be cheering for you next year whatever you decide to do--run, short distance tri, or even the long stuff again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ouch! poor Katherine! Love the pics, especially the cliff jumping! I so want to go next time ;-) Recover well, will call ya soon...

    XO,
    E

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seriously, you had a great race considering everything this summer. Sometime soon we'll have to do something fun and drink beer after it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. great job out there!! I tracked you the entire race. YOu should be so proud of everything you went through the past season and then to have a good finish at Kona. Congrats!!! :)
    -marni

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hilarious Face Stick job on Katherine! New to your blog, but gotta say, Girl YOU ROCK! Oh, Found this Obama video you might enjoy:
    http://vimeo.com/1808434

    ReplyDelete
  18. so kind of you to run "with" me, however briefly. a brutal day, indeed, and shortly after i saw you, medical asked if i needed a ride. without your encouragement, i might just have accepted. it's not my proudest result to date, but i owe you many thanks for getting me through the sauna that was ali'i and, ultimately, the race.

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOMAN...please tell me you were a little sore!!! Clif jumping (after a Ironman race) you had to feel SOME pain eh??? Or are you really the ANIMAL you seem to be:)
    You look awesome in the race photos and WTF with those abs...I work it hard and still have mush:(

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rach,
    Just read your blog. It is outstanding. What an incredible job. Very proud of you!!
    Shell

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Rach
    Thanks for then nice comment on my blog. I was happy even though it was not my best time. I was thrilled just to feel good as I had some nagging injuries after the last two IM's and looking back now I probably should have pushed harder! But oh well...and WTF why did I not see you all week except as you passed me near the finish! You did great! We put so much pressure on ourselves to always improve...conditions were tough and you raced really well! Recover and enjoy your break! See you next year!

    ReplyDelete