Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Back in the water..

But only to show Stefan just how much we appreciate his coaching:
Wendy, Maggs, Hina, Stefan, me, Katherine, and five more Stefans.

I hunted down a photo of Stefan, simplified it a little in Photoshop and Dawn & Ira at Splish made these suits for us. The girls met early, suited up, and headed to the usual Tuesday morning swim. We were meant to be 8 - but a few couldn't make it. Stefan had a good laugh upon realizing that was his face we were sporting as we all walked up to Kaimana together. We're lucky to have you out there coaching every Tuesday and Friday, Stefan!


I swam well today and was again hit with a taste of regret about my race last weekend. I should not have swum 1:04. I should have cared more and fought harder. Then I reminded myself that it's time to let go and get over myself. The 24 hours to wallow are long over!

Things are happening. I start work with a new company the week after next. I will be writing environmental impact statements. Hippie-science background + writing = good. I like the people already.

I wrote a piece for Honolulu Magazine that will run in December. It's twice as long as the one they gave me in June.. I'll post a link when it hits the web. I'm editing away, freelance, in the evenings. Thanks, Allan.

And I have a race plan. It's a short-term plan, but there is a race on the horizon. Soon. And there's no bike required. I have to fly on a big metal death-box, yes, but it will be worth it. I'm deeming Kona my long run day, and now it's taper time. Recovery, recovery, recovery! More on that plan later..

22 comments:

  1. stop stressing about your kona race!

    and that is super awesome that you wrote a piece for honolulu magazine.

    i heard you'll be at silverman. fun fun fun, no swimming or biking

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rach...That's great news on the job front :)

    Glad you have a race plan - shall I guess?

    Are you coming out to Tucson to do the Thanksgiving Turkey Trot with me, Jen H, and the kids? It's a lot of fun...and the winner gets a turkey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of Hawaii is covered in SPlish, our master team just got some too!

    I have no clue what you are flying to do... IM Florida? ha ha...sounds like a plan for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't forget Stefan's Wednesday pool workouts (by far the hardest of the three). Thanks for coordinating the suits...and getting me back in the water ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the suits! Stefan must be so flattered.

    Congrats on teh good work news.

    ReplyDelete
  6. way to go Rach on all fronts! THINGS are happening!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rach,
    You're coming to run the marathon portion of IMFL in my stead right??? That's the only way I'd break 12 hrs!

    Great news on the employment front!!!!!
    ko

    ReplyDelete
  8. yay for jobs!
    hmmmm. NY Marathon? that's in like 2 seconds...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woohoo, so glad all the job stuff worked out! and the editing...and the mag piece..whew! when do you sleep?! Now maybe you can get me a gig in some tropical place :)

    Your-big-fan-tech-writing-bud-in-the-cold-miserable-north-but-one-state-from-the-home-of-Obama,
    erin :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the writing jobs - awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wish I could jump in and swim out around the wind sock there at Kaimana Beach right now! You don't know how lucky you are. Don't tell me, you are training for the Double Waikiki Swim in Dec?? Oh wait, In guess that wouldn't involve a plane ride. Great suits.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hooray for the EIS-writers !
    That's a job we can believe in ;-)

    Did you see/read Hoot ?
    They save the baby owls with an EIS..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know what race it is...now I really wish I were going to watch. It's the anniversary weekend so I really can't.

    AND YES get over Kona! You had a great day and it's time to keep moving forward.

    The job sounds fantastic. Things are definitely falling into place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG.. the suits are just FABULOUS! That is so funny!!!!! I'm horrible at guessing what's on the horizon via the metal death box, plez tell me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. RR - you can visit me in Berkeley anytime! I can't wait to meet the Hawaii contingent of my blog-land friends! :)

    Sweet Splishies!! Can't wait to hear about your next race adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ha ha i know what your next race adventure is and sorry, but it doesn't sound like fun ;p...the after part does though!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, so much great news! Congrats! Very thoughtful of you with the Splish's.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those suits are the best!!! I can only imagine the look on your coaches face. You ladies must be so much fun to train with. Maybe I will get over there this year to see for myself ;-)
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  19. I seriously thought those were Obama suits at first!
    Which, if you clearly are the stalker you claim to be, you will order up one immediately!
    Looking forward to seeing you post THAT suit-maybe when he get sworn in?!
    Congrats on the jobs!
    Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on the new job and the writing piece. I have no guess at what your race plan is but good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  21. CONGRATS on your new job - too bad it includes working...but I guess that is life, eh? And, loving the suits...I have to get one of those and send them as Xmas gifts with my face on it. oh, that is a great idea...NOT....haha
    Jen H.

    ReplyDelete