Thursday, January 1, 2009

Oh Henry.



Henry is 9 today. While I realize that this is not at all about me, the truth of the matter is that what I feel most about this birthday is this: I am as old as dirt. Nine years ago, I thought I was old enough to take care of another human. I was 23, craving a camel light, and standing on De Haro Street watching the millenium fireworks over SF, muttering out, parasite. In a maternal way, of course. I tried to jump rope him out on a busy Potrero Hill afternoon. Things get ugly at 42 weeks pregnant and 50 lbs overweight. Henry was not only two weeks overdue, he was a millenium overdue. And on January 2, he finally got out, and life changed forever.. for the better.


Henry chooses what we do to celebrate. Which means the Pearl Harbor Memorial, a whole lot of Total Drama Island and for his fancy dinner of choice? Papa John's delivery. He is both a geeky and cheap date.

Our 08 ended well - another week, another party at Kaui and Andy's. While the party was great, as always, there was another exciting moment in my day. Between work and the party, I snuck in an hour run  in my old neighborhood. Dog the Bounty Hunter lives two doors up from the house I grew up in.  It turns out he has a teenage daughter/niece or two who are just as overweight and underdressed as his wife. And they got segways for Christmas! Alas, they were not yet very good at driving them. So I witnessed a lot of fringe, skin, and bleached hair hitting the deck in the only segway crash I will likely ever see. I am so, so sorry. But I did not have my camera on me, and while the whole fleet of big black SUVs was there, there was no camera crew on hand. Reality TV, my eye.

18 comments:

  1. If you ask me Papa Johns delivery is the perfect birthday meal. I'm sorry you had to witness the Segway incident. I saw Dog's wife once in person and it scarred me for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rach you are the best mom! I love that second foto of you in the waters of Waikiki!! Totally looks like a mother in love with her child!

    MOST Happy New Year to the entire Ross bunch and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the little guy... I am so glad your camel light days are over :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to Henry, our almost Dec99 baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday, Henry! Enjoy your pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a perfect birthday! Love the photos.

    The segway incident sounds amazing...your description is perfect. I can so see the bleached hair and fringe flying.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Henry!

    Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I managed to make your post all about ME since the first thing I thought of was that "she gained 50 lbs and looks like she does now, I can get pregnant and be fine!"

    Just kidding. Great story, adorable kid. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New year and happy bday to Henry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the segway story. That is super flippin' funny! Ha Ha Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well Rachel, reading the paragraph about you standing on De Haro makes me realize that San Francisco is losing its middle class families; such a shame as now it's going to be inundated with trust fun kids and homeless people.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday Henry!

    I always wondered who owned segways. They seem like such stupid things to own. Now I know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday Henry. Love the photo of two of you in the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy (belated) birthday to Henry! What a beautiful picture of the two of you in the water - priceless.

    Hilarious about the Bounty Hunter People - too funny! I would have peed my pants watching that debacle, seriously. ha ha ha ha ha - funny mental image!

    Happy New Year Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Segway crash. Awesome.

    Old as dirt? No way. You birthed young, my dear. Sounds like Henry's turned out to be a good one. Geeky and cheap sounds like a good combo. You've done fine work Mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday Henry! Gotta love pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hahahaha, J and I were grotesquely fascinated by Dog while on vacation. I can only imagine the train wreck you witnessed-LIVE! :)

    ReplyDelete