Thursday, January 22, 2009

New commute!

Here is something I wonder about: does an hour of spin class equal an hour of cycling? I do it once a year, when Raul (say Ha-ul), crazy leader of Boca Hawaii, does his annual spinfest fundraiser for epilepsy. As a general rule, I try not to pay to ride a bike, or drive anywhere to ride a bike.. except on this day. Raul spins for 12 hours straight, leading a different spin class every hour. Here he is, somewhere around hour 3:


And here we are.. me, going for the big 2 hours, with a half an hour of internals on a nearby treadmill at the hour mark, to break it up.. and a whole lot of other people riding a bike to nowhere.

Raul and four others went for the full 12 hours. And then he went to Gloria Estefan's show.

I couldn't ride my bike home yesterday because I was on baseball duty, which requires a vehicle. So it had a sleep over party in my office. I hope it had more fun there than I did today, where it was official Let's Have Meetings and Imply That Rachel Is Incompetent to Large Groups of People Day. It was SUPER fun. Especially since I had already completed all the work that was being explained to me as if I were learning to use the big girl potty. Nothing brings back 7th grade like getting passed WTF? notes from everyone else at the table while I draw cherry blossoms on my notepad and pretend to be learning something new and writing it down. But I digress. This is how I got to work today:

I have never run with stuff on my back before. I left heels, a bra and my wallet in my desk, so I didn't have to carry everything. Well, really there are four pairs of shoes under my desk right now. One never knows when they might need knee high flat boots, or four inch heels.. or running shoes, cycling shoes or steel toed boots! OK, five. I must say, I have a new respect for people who run with those camelback things. The backpack was light and totally tethered down, and you can't go wrong with Pata-gucci. But the bouncing never let up. I also forgot how vulnerable one is while running vs. riding. The homeless guy who sleeps in a spiderman mask next to the Waialae Ave. cemetary is much freakier at 8 mph than he is at 20 mph at 5 am. As is the cemetary. And it turns out it takes more than twice as long to run 15 miles as it does to ride it, and that lots of men with full neck tattoos hang out around King and Keeaoumoku at 6 am.

16 comments:

  1. Your life is sure one big adventure! Nice work on the run to work, you still find a way to fit in workouts with your full time job and kids. I intend to learn from you...I'm in awe!
    12 hours on a trainer? That sounds like certified torture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW - great job on the run into work! I'm super impressed!!! Oh - and the five pairs of shoes?? Totally essential. :) Way to go RR - you are a rock star!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you want me to take off the Spiderman mask next time? Would that make you feel better?

    ReplyDelete
  4. 15 miles with a backpack?? Impressive! I'm with you... IDK how those people run with camelbacks...

    ReplyDelete
  5. NICE run chica! Coach is trying to get me to use a fuel belt, if you can wear an entire back pack maybe I can quit being a wimp!

    LOVE your new shoes, about darn time someone hooked you up with some shoes! AND 12 freakin' hours, Raul is the man, tell him I want his autograph! Freakin' stud!!

    AND did you hear, IM Brazil is totally done with any athletes for 09? Let's make it on our 2010 plan. Girls trip... no men, a ton of fun! We can get bad bikini's too! ha ha ha

    Have a GREAT weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would call in sick (because I would be) if I ran 15 miles to work. You are HARD CORE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always wanted to run to/from work but wasn't sure how to carry anything. The creepy people along the way probably make you run REALLY REALLY fast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've done run to and from work few times but I also prefer the bike- we get freaks and tourists here in London. Well done on two hour spin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another good post, woman. A couple of years ago, I made Fridays my commute by foot days. Yeah, the bouncing with groceries and assorted stuff got old quickly so I kept my errands to just going to the bank on Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I run at night in SF a lot and there's a stretch that I always hold my breath for and run faster through...all good so far!

    Your gear is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so cool you got your long run in during the week so now you totally don't have to worry about it this weekend!

    Smart move too, leaving the bra in your drawer. It sucks to get to work and realize you don't have one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's great that you are running to work. My brother used to do that all the time (now he lives really close, so it is not much of a run). If I didn't live over 25 miles from work, I'd consider it...

    ReplyDelete
  13. oooh. count me in for girls trip to Brazil in 2010.

    i hope you have a real shower at work. or you're just gross.
    15 miles before work. and then i guess you rode home. you're pretty much awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cool way to raise money. Hopefully your friend raised lots and lots for a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am always impressed with you and how you handle life!
    I might be there in your neck of the woods at the end of Sept...hope to maybe get a chance to meet you in person!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're so productive, Rachel.

    That spin picture looked like it could've been off the Spinning website, you were all that good-looking and your smiles were way too big. YOU SHOULD'VE BEEN SUFFERING, BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT SPIN CLASS IS! SUFFERING!

    Oops. Sorry...the spin teacher in me came out there.

    ReplyDelete