Sunday, January 11, 2009

Ow ow ow.


Sunday started like this. Aiea hills. I have never done them before, so I said sure, I'm in.  This was the first climb, about 3 miles of up.. and the closest view I had of the boys all day.  I quickly realized I had forgotten my good legs at home. All I had with me was my shitty legs. There were four more ridges to climb after this, and I had no idea where I was, because the Oahu map in my head looks like this:

It's hard to bail out when you are totally lost. But after four ridges, my IT band was screaming so I did exactly that - I ditched and found my way home. Health before ego. I think the ridge repeats early in the season, the gutting it out without having the fitness for it, contributed to last year's chronic injury.

Saturday and Sunday were spent at the beach club, enjoying my new toy. I have a stand-up board, courtesy of Todd at C4 Waterman. It is a killer core and quad workout, and my legs were shakey after today's four hours on the bike. The air has been really cool, the tide has been extremely low, and the ocean has been glassy. We spent most of our weekend here, on the boards. Henry picked it up like an old pro, and was quickly adjusting his stance, making turns, and dodging swimmers, most of whom were the spawn of my high school classmates, as it turned out. I slowly got comfortable on the 10 foot board, and am already sore from the paddling. I wonder if this counts as swimming? There was water, and arm muscles.. it should totally count.




I am watching the Golden Globes. I have two comments. Penelope Cruz looks like a muppet. And famous should expire after five years or so - Kate Beckinsale probably works at Macys by now. Ok, three comments: I would like to be Cameron Diaz. That is all.

20 comments:

  1. Sometimes I wonder if I should blog about the mundane things in my life. Thank you for answering that question. I miss the warm water! People surf beside penguins here in NZ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that map of Oahu. Apart from work and home parts, that is exactly what it is like in my head. Never really knew what's in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My map of Oahu is the same... Lost every time and really don't know the difference between Aiea and Pearl City??

    The word verification on this comment is 'dapeak'... Where you were climbing this weekend? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha. Love the map! Google schmoogle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paddling totally counts. Especially in January. Bonus points, in my book. Nice job on the ride - hope the IT band feels better...I think you did the right thing, even though it probably wasn't a fun choice at the time... Good vibes to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like fun! And I would say it totally counts as a swim workout :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just can't contain my jealousy that you guys can ride in shorts at this time of year and swim at the beach!

    love your oahu map...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Google maps ain't got nothin' on you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job being smart and taking care of your bod! Love your pic of Oahu ;-) And yes it counts, I blogged about stand up paddling last month, remember? I counted it towards swimming for sure ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. SOOOOO glad you decided to just let the ego go and take care of yourself. That stand-up paddling looks AWWWWEEESOME!!! Man, now that is the kind of thing I would love to do if I lived there. So cool. And if you can feel it, then it counts as a workout.

    BTW, nice map.

    Oh and I felt like Cameron Diaz Sat night in My Best Friend's Wedding where she 'sings' karaoke but she really can't sing but she just looks cute...I worked the pole and tried to work the audience so they would ignore my tone-deafness. It turned out alright. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds like a wicked tough ride...glad you gave your body an out and time to recover.

    The board paddling looks like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i would like to be eva mendes. famous totally does expire. and if you're that much money you should never ever dress badly, bc what are you paying people for anyway.

    also, why do people get all choked up at the golden globes, i think maybe its just cause they had too much to drink

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your map. And yes, quite sure paddling counts as swimming!! Hope that IT band feels better, you did the smart thing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cameron Diaz has a cute butt. I always think of that scene where she is dancing in front of a mirror (Charlie's Angels, I think... not sure).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I aspire to be as funny as you someday... :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've always thought Penelope Cruz looks like a duck.

    ReplyDelete
  17. so jealous of the paddle board (and the cute kids that came with it!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh that WARM water of Hawaii is making me SO jealous! I told coach about all your AWESOME non-existent swims... he didn't really like that. He said he believes in you too much and you were starting to really swim well, like a swimmer, and he wants you to do something with sport because he believes you are "one hell of an athlete".

    Hope all is well. we wish you were here. AND if you ever figure out how to be Cameron Diaz let me know...ha ha ha!

    Hope the riding and running is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Today.

    I establish bicycle-related blog.

    Would you link to my blog by all means?

    http://bicycle-hillclimb-machine.blogspot.com/

    In addition, I come to look.

    thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  20. Next time I am on Oahu I will be able to find your house - thanks for the map!

    ReplyDelete