Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Back to usual.

My friend Julie is leaving the office. I am very sad that she's going - she is the kind of girl who orders Christmas in my Mouth at Starbucks. A kindred spirit! There is an essay contest going on amongst the more junior of us environmental scientists to determine who gets her office. In her excitement about American Idol's season premier, she declared herself Paula Abdul and sent the following note out: 

Whish one uf you wanz my offish? Maybee you the cute blurry one of the left.

I've been reading Time's Man of the Year issue. And I wasn't lying when my status said I am having dreams about going to the Inauguration. Last night I was watching it from the skate park. With Michelle. I think in reality she won't have to sit in the skate park. Damn money and all it's limiting moneyness.  It occurred to me, while spacing out on my bike commute, that my upcoming 15-year reunion this summer is Barry O's 30-year. At my 10-year, I had the most kids. Take that, mormons! But I don't think I have any completely irrelevant unrecognized accomplishments this time around. While I think he'll likely be too busy for the Punahou alumni luau, how cool would it be to go to your high school reunion as the President? Oahuan-committee geek makes good! I'm going to have to go, just in case.

The cycling clinic started this week, and on Thursday a couple of climbs up Tantalus will supplement the bike commute. I recovered from the hill hell in time to run some intervals last night. Today I rode in to town, paddled a little, rode to work, worked and then rode back home. Then I cleaned up the bike, because Maggs wants it back! I'm losing the road bike, but I'm ready to get back to the TTX.. and there's a road bike in the works for me... more details on that later! The kids started school again, the husband starts back next week, and life is back to hectic. Tomorrow morning I'll miss the ride in to go to a breakfast for some art award thingamajig Ms. Artsypants Sky won. Here's hoping it's not X-rated.

12 comments:

  1. 15-year reunion, wow! You will look hot as always and they will all be jelaous. I loved my 10-year reunion, the girls were pretty and the guys fat and bold...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess if you are President you probably don't need to go to your reunion - I would imagine most of your ex-classmates pretty much know what you have been up to lately?

    It would be my 20 year reunion this year! How did that happen??? And what the heck have I been doing for the past 20 years?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, here's to hoping he comes too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reunions are funny, and always slightly surprising. Cool on the new road bike!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah for the road bike, good luck with the new office, and kudos to Ms Artsypants on her award! Yea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet at your reunion you'll have more Ironman World Championship Age Group Wins than anyone else... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would be weird to go to your reunion as president. You'd be the most successful one there.

    Glad to see that you're doing better. I didn't see on your blog what the health issue was, but as long as you can get back to life, hopefully that means it's all good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My 10 year reunion is coming up this year. The bf was like "do you want me to go, because I think I'd be pretty bored..." But besides showing off my awesome partner in crime, what else do I have to show??? And now with Facebook, it seems like half the people I knew in hs know what i'm up to now anyway. So then I'm kind of like "should I bother?"

    I love how you call him Barry O. Though I hate to admit that it took me a second...

    I hope you get the office. And congrats to Sky. Look forward to seeing what she came up with this time...

    ReplyDelete
  9. 15 year reunion? You're old. Good thing Maggs has us both beat! (I'm gonna pay for that comment, aren't I?) :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats to Sky! Can't wait for the details on the new bike...I heart new equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Rach,

    i forgot to tell you I sent that frame for you. My hectic traveling life has started and forgot to tell you. Cheers from a hotel in Little Rock, AR.

    DJB

    ReplyDelete