Saturday, January 31, 2009

Hemisphere Dancer

Just another Saturday morning on Oahu.. there were giant pancakes again and some exploring at the beach. Henry found an old lady slipper on the jetty and was entirely too excited about it. Sky collected mermaid food (ulva, turbinaria, and sargassum, if my memory serves) and I caught her trying to eat the sea lettuce. 

At noon on Friday I realized I was about to hit 60 hours for the work week. So I hid my giant bag in my sweater (it's 40 degrees in my office) and went to the restroom.. and never came back. The benefit of the Friday run-commute is not having to sneak my bike out with me when I ditch. So what if I was limping a little and wearing compression socks with my heels? Katherine and I hit the beach. The water was an incredible color. It was one of the top five most gorgeous ocean-days I've seen in my life. But I had no cap or goggles. Then we remembered the paddleboards. It's kind of like paddling a hollow, super-long surfboard with a rounded bottom:

We looked just like these guys, only tippy. (Not tipsy - that was later - lemon drop martinis!) Off we went, into the deep stuff. We could see straight down to the coral heads through the turquoise water and kept stopping to marvel at the colors - and the pain. Seems that if your shoulders haven't been swimming, your shoulders aren't fit for paddling.  We paddled all the way across Waikiki in 20 minutes, about twice as fast as we can swim it. Then we beached ourselves at the Royal Hawaiian for a bit:

turned around and headed back. A turtle popped up to check us out, and I failed miserably at trying to paddle on my knees the way the cool guys who win Molokai do... The added bonus? A sore core, lats and shoulders today. I have found swimming.. without the swimming! I even got to wear a Splish

On the way back from the Royal Hawaiian we passed a boat named Hemisphere Dancer. Guess who is coming to town on Feb. 28th? I am so excited!

Me and the man himself, after a long brick a few weeks before Kona. Well, he didn't do the brick. Yes, I look like a total dork. But please note that Jimmy Buffett & I have the same sunglasses. 

11 comments:

  1. WOW! Jimmy! I'm so dissapointed I will be missing his concert. My old man raised me on Jimmy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to get on that boat...

    GREAT way to spend a ditch day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great Friday! Good for you for ducking out of work early!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for beautiful ocean and great paddling workouts! You're so lucky that you saw a turtle - fantastic! Nice way to spend a Friday afternoon... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished reading one of Jimmy Buffett's books! It tells about him flying his giant sea plane around Central America looking for places to surf and fish. I like him more now than ever. I agree with Bree. GET ON THAT BOAT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful day! Glad you were able to get on the water and soak it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who is Jimmy Buffett?
    (that's my subtle attempt at calling you old :P)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Rachel... I am Stoked. And Jimmy was lucky to have met you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great way to spend a Friday afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I spent my entire college life and 2-3 years post college life...submerged in Jimmy Buffet! THOSE concerts are some of the best times EVER! :)) ENJOY.

    ReplyDelete