Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Update..

I've been asked about what I'm doing this year by a few friends in blogland. Overly nice people wonder if I'm turning pro - when really, I forgot to even sign up for any races. I was too sick late in the year to even know if racing would be an option. I missed Oceanside, though I'll likely be there for Timex camp anyway, so Beth and I will make it a fun long run day of cheering/heckling the racers. In matching turquiose lululemon tights, because I was goober-enough to buy ones just like hers. I would like to go to Alcatraz. I might sign up for Honu, but I might not. I would like to race Chicago again. But the only thing I'm actually signed up for is the Great Aloha Run on President's Day. 8.15 miles with 20,000 of my closest friends.

I'm not training with Lifesport and Coach Paul this year. I learned a ton from and had a blast with Paul, and will take much of what I learned with me. I also learned that I am not actually interested in training like a pro. I'll do the work and enjoy the work, but my life will never allow for the recovery, the commitment or especially the huge expense required to train like a pro. I plan to do things the way I did in 2006 & 2007, with the local Boca Hawaii clinics whenever possible, and with a consistent weekly schedule of what I do and when I do it. There will be many fewer races, as travel funds are non-existant. But that's OK. 2008 was hard on me, and all I want from triathlon in 2009 is a little fun.

The training plan accounts for a minimum of three days per week of bike commuting. It's just a little cooler out, which makes the ride in nicer. Cheryl sent me this link to bail-out induced incentives for bike commuters that my fellow commuters should check out. I see something about bike purchase reimbursement on there.. and I've got a new frame coming that's going to need some parts. All the parts, actually, but then I will have my first ever road bike. With the bike commuting, I'll hit 200+ miles this week. My biggest week training for Kona last year? 144. I think I had a bike allergy last year.

At work I'm writing, researching, and editing things I find interesting. My boss does not have british corn-teeth or call himself Daddy in staff meetings, like some people I know. I am the first one in each morning and leave at 2:30 or 3 pm, which leaves me plenty of time to pull something in my lower back at the skate park (Monday) or go through all my old jewelry with my daughter (Tuesday) or run 1000 meter repeats with Katherine and Ingrid in Waikiki (today). I share an office with a 23 year-old named Bill who is much smarter than me, and who I flick things at when I get bored.

Winter break ends for all on Monday. My people have been doing stuff like this while I work all day:

I swear I'm not bitter/jealous. Pat & Natalie headed home on Monday after three weeks of free babysitting. They would be around a while, then disappear for a few days.. perfect houseguests.

So that's the news. And lastly, for all of Sky's friends, a little bit of Sky. Last night at bedtime I heard her calling me from the bathroom. I braced myself and went in, because you never know what you're going to see when a five year old summons you to the can. She was standing at the sink, playing Hello Kitty on her pink Nintendo DS. Will you brush my teeth for me while I play my DS? she asked, dead serious. I had a hard time not getting toothpaste on the screen.. just kidding. Still, I guess it couldn't hurt to ask.

26 comments:

  1. Fun is good:) Happy New Year and take things as they come. It will work out. Maybe you should plan a race/visit to DC so you can tour the White House...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your season sounds great - and FUN and it is what YOU want to do, which is all that really matters. Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the bike commute info!

    Being in Chicago...I can't really do it right now. Too much black ice for the distance I need to travel. I feel like a woos when I see a guy in his mid-50s commuting to Baxter everyday from Deerfield. (about 3 miles versus my 28.9 each way) Can't wait until warm(er) weather.

    See you in Cali 70.3 - I'm marshaling after my "camp".

    ReplyDelete
  4. i screamed my lungs out AT you last year at oceanside ... maybe we can meet up this year and i'll scream my lungs out WITH you. i'm as nuts a spectathlete as they come, just ask elf.

    sky slays me, just like her momma!

    btw, nice tan lines in title 9!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should have decided on New Orleans. I hear the cool gals will be there.

    So strange that none of your races involve Rochester NY. Weird. An oversight I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you shoudl do alcatraz and chicago, solely because i will also be there.

    can i be sky's friend?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't even imagine 3 kids and training and work! You are a superstar! I am struggling with 2 kids and work! Come to Chicago:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My friend used to get woken up every morning by her son yelling "COME WIPE MY BOTTOM!!!" so there you go--it could always be worse. Sounds like 2009 is going to be the year of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. RR - I think it sounds absolutely perfect! Do what YOU want to do, have fun with in, and no regrets. Enjoy your family, friends, and training. Toss in a few races, and voila! Looking forward to meeting up with you at Oceanside :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet plan. You're a master at fitting it all in, or at least making it look damn good! Keep up the good work and the stress low. And don't forget-- you live in PARADISE! Lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your year sounds PERFECT! Time for you to enjoy all the things you love (sport, family, friends, the island) and no pressure :)

    Whatever race you are in, whatever child you are chasing, and whatever 23 year old boy you are flicking things at I will be one of your BIGGEST fans Rach, cheering you on ALL the way whatever you do!

    ReplyDelete
  12. awesome update...can't wait for you to come to cali!
    your season sounds right on- james is in the same boat as you- all about FUN...i think i need to jump on.

    and i wore those tights running tonight and got some unsightly butt sweat so we might need to coordinate a different lulu costume so i don't embarass you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heck, don't race at all...but make sure you are at camp. That could be your biggest accomplishment of the season. I know of some pretty big challenges ahead. And I think you will take a few wins. And quite possibly the overall title. I have already submitted my resume as judge, but I don't think I will make the cut.

    Glad to hear you are back having fun and training at the same time. If you can manage that, you will beat many pros. I think this goes along the same lines as the old saying, "If you love something, and can get paid to do it, you have made it." Something like that...I am sure someone will correct me. Anyway, I think the same applies to training. If you can have fun, and look forward to your training, success will follow...sort of. But then again, I remember when I was a junior cyclist (13 years old) after each long ride (50 miles) we would stop at Zips and get a large ice cream cone. That made me quite happy, but I am not too sure that contributed to any success.

    Rach, you are amazing and I am happy to hear that you are having fun at something that has given you so much enjoyment in the past.

    Roger

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fun sounds like the way it should be! I am sure you will have a great year.

    And any race you do I will be cheering you on, from the other side of the world - but still cheering!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You better get to camp. If I can get there, you can get there....and I'm not racing Oceanside either but I will be there, yelling my head off.

    I'm glad to hear your plans (or lack thereof) are falling into place for the upcoming season. You're a star, love to see how well you do without even looking like you're trying.

    I WILL see you at camp-
    P.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 200 commuter miles a week, jeezus?! I'll vote for your tax break.

    ReplyDelete
  17. git ye ass to kona

    its more fun then oahu :D

    u can snowboard on mauna kea

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very glad to read that you are much better and that you have a plan for 2009 that enables you to enjoy your work days and fit in a reasonable amount of training. The important thing is to be in control of what you are doing and plan to do, which you clearly are. No point in getting caught in the rat race. I was also interested to read that your friend apparently plans to focus a lot on environmental issues after taking office. There will no doubt be many opportunities for people like you in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like you've got a great 2009 set! Come do Chicago. Our potholes are still huge, the water in the swim will be disgusting and it will be crowded but it somehow still manages to be such a fun race

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is a great plan. I hope it relly works out for you this year. And most of all, have fun. Lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is the best kind of "plan"...not to really have one:) Perfect!!! funny about Sky and the nintendo....my 3yr old is addicted to that thing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. the bicycle commuter provision maxes out at $20/month. So, $240 for the year, won't buy much of a bike. It might get a good many of the parts, though. I've found scrounging around the Nashbar sales useful, most everything you'd need goes on sale at some point.

    My 10-yr old still asks me to brush his teeth, the 7-yr old is fully independent. after five years of brushing 3 sets of teeth every night, it will be good to go into retirement..

    no race in scenic Tuscaloosa ? hah.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You're hilarious. I like your training plan. Hope to see you in Chicago this year. Without the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  24. We should find a time to go get super drunk. I think you shouldn't race Honu (since I'm not now) and we can just be drunk spectathletes all day. OH YAAAAA!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice plan RR! Love it, have FUN!! This is what it's all about right? Can't wait to see you again in April ;-) Oh and funny comment how you don't like lifting ;-) HAHA!

    ReplyDelete